MLB 2021-2 off season thread

southsider2k5

12 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

This is also true.  But couldn't they have also not offered him it because they thought he would accept it AND they had their sights set higher (Scherzer/Verlander) but clearly missed?  I think that's also possible.

I don't think Scherzer/Verlander fit into the budget and never have - so no - I don't think that is the case.  I think they see a guy that didn't pitch over 5 innings the 2nd half of the season and know his arm is fucked and that $18.4M isn't worth the gamble that he takes it. 

6 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

The Bulls have always been willing to pay $$$ in free agency, the problem being no one ever wants to come and play here. 

No, they never would cross the Luxury tax threshold.  They restricted themselves a lot

• Like 1

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

I don't think Scherzer/Verlander fit into the budget and never have - so no - I don't think that is the case.  I think they see a guy that didn't pitch over 5 innings the 2nd half of the season and know his arm is fucked and that $18.4M isn't worth the gamble that he takes it. 

You may not think but Harold led us to believe the team thought it was realistic. Granted, the front office has been delusional in the past but still.

• Thanks 1

10679187463_2e0df49fe9_b.jpg

The guardians of JR's fortune will let us know that we have enough.  We are already winners no matter if we add anyone.  And that just getting into the dance is good enough because it's just such a crapshoot.  The only one who looks out more than JR's accountant seems to be one of the sects of White Sox fandom.   

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, Baron said:

You absolutely inferred it. I don't care if it's Sox fans or any of their teams fans. They will not accept it and they clearly don't. 

Those fans react that way because they're spoiled kids always given the shiniest toys.

Sox fans react this way because they're in an abusive relationship who never ever fulfills the words and promises said to them and are constantly misled and lied to. 

There are huge differences between the two.

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

"The Worst Signing of the Off-Season"

A truly classic take on DeRozen.

oh man, that was the sentiment though. This isn't my take, that was the athletic/espn/everywhere.

I am not saying Bulls are apples to apples, but seeing them go for it this off-season was so refreshing. Just wish the Sox would show a little effort that way. Was good with Graveman, hopeful that they get at least one nice piece for 2022. 

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Those fans react that way because they're spoiled kids always given the shiniest toys.

Sox fans react this way because they're in an abusive relationship who never ever fulfills the words and promises said to them and are constantly misled and lied to. 

A distinction that doesn't need to be made because in the end it doesn't matter. 

12 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

But it was a philosophy change within the same family. The Bulls have switched gears and are willing to be aggressive...why can't the Sox? DeRozan was called an overpay by nearly every pundit out there. 

The Sox have changed their Philosophies numerous times. When Einhorn & Reinsdorf first bought the team they spent like drunken sailors. So much that it pissed Steinbrenner off. He called them the katzenjammer kids or something like that. Fisk, Luzinski, LeFlore, & Bannister were just some of those acquisitions. Later The Albert Belle contract. Recently, not so much.

11 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

If whatever was posted yesterday about then having a budget of $180 mill is true then I guess we can kiss the Conforto dream good bye.

I think $180-$190M is where they'll land.  Subtract Kimbrel's $15M, and they have $25-35M to spend.  Conforto can definitely fit into that, even in the unlikely scenario that they keep Kimbrel. 

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

At the end of the day its a sport and it isn't as serious as an abusive relationship and should not be compared to that.

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I never said they weren't, did I?

I can only speak for myself. I've been asking for one thing for three years from the Sox, not 100. I'm tired of the absurd strategy of signing 7 shitty players to 3-4 million dollar deals as opposed to signing one player to a 21-28 million dollar deal. I've been about as consistent as it gets. Sign one big talented player, as they said they WOULD repeatedly, and I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. 

To say Semien, Ray and Gausman weren't realistic targets is f'ing embarrassing. And everyone who continues to pander that speech just plays right into the hands of ownership. And people like Jimmy who were out there pushing a 200 million dollar payroll narrative to come in here and complain about fans expectations is absolutely hilarious.

I highly doubt ownership reads this blog or even if they did care about our opinions one bit. 

1 minute ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Lol at Jimmy putting lipstick on a pig. 

It’s a damned good pig. Pigs are awesome. Resilient. Tasty. Get fat as fuck. Not afraid to roll around in the mud.

Dont you dare single out a class of animals you swinist pig.

Uh… wait a minute… oops.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This is by far the best part to me.

Everyone was raining sunshines and rainbows two weeks ago, I said they will not get any of the players (who, for the most part have signed) because they have a track record of never signing those players and everyone called me a negative douche (I may still be a douche). Now everyone is saying that people like you and me were stupid for expecting them to sign those guys lol... what? When did we expect it? 

LOL yeah, I'm not even really mad they didn't sign those guys because I thought some of them were unrealistic or I didn't want for what they would sign for. More mad that suddenly we are the ones who expected it lol 

Ok, I may be mad they haven't filled RF or 2B yet and there's about to be a long lay off (eh, I don't really count being able to discuss trades as much because things can change with a new CBA), but not mad they didn't sign the guys that signed.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

At the end of the day its a sport and it isn't as serious as an abusive relationship and should not be compared to that.

Oh my....

Abusive relationships can exist in hobbies, entertainment, work, or ones personal life. The term abuse isn't reserved for what you deem to be heinous acts in love-driven relationships. I didn't call it domestic abuse.