MLB 2021-2 off season thread

southsider2k5

1 minute ago, Bob Sacamano said:

LOL yeah, I'm not even really mad they didn't sign those guys because I thought some of them were unrealistic or I didn't want for what they would sign for. More mad that suddenly we are the ones who expected it lol 

Ok, I may be mad they haven't filled RF or 2B yet, but not mad they didn't sign the guys that signed.

Yeah, I expected this exact thing to happen. I wasn't caught off guard in the least bit. This is who they are. That doesn't mean I'm not bothered that they continue to operate this way, but I couldn't be any further from surprised than I am.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Oh my....

Abusive relationships can exist in hobbies, entertainment, work, or ones personal life. The term abuse isn't reserved for what you deem to be heinous acts in love-driven relationships. I didn't call it domestic abuse.

I get it you feel abused because this means so much to you, but you know it's an ugly comparison.  It's baseball

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

It’s a little maddening that people here were optimistic saying they will sign a big free agent or two, even signing someone to a 9-figure contract and basically called the people who were realistic overly pessimistic like there’s no track record of them not spending lol and now the people that we’re optimistic are saying it was never realistic.

Depends on what types of deals we're talking about.  I fully expected the Sox to sign a guy like Conforto to a deal similar to Yaz.  I think that fair to expect given team needs and overall financial situation.  I truly do not think they plan to finish off the 2 holes on this roster with bargain bin junk (at least I sincerely hope). But I never expected the Sox to hand out $100M+ deals to guys like Scherzer, Ray, or Semien, or be a player in monster deals to the elites like Seager/Correa.  There is a very clean delineation there.  

Semien's contract had too many years and Ray and Gausman were gambles as neither have a long track record of success.   

I look at the cubs and see what bad contracts do to the long range plan of an organization.  Darvish and Heyward cost them their core. 

This is carrying water for JR I know but I look more at securing pieces of the current core over adding high price long term deals that can impact the future.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Depends on what types of deals we're talking about.  I fully expected the Sox to sign a guy like Conforto to a deal similar to Yaz.  I think that fair to expect given team needs and overall financial situation.  I truly do not think they plan to finish off the 2 holes on this roster with bargain bin junk (at least I sincerely hope). But I never expected the Sox to hand out $100M+ deals to guys like Scherzer, Ray, or Semien, or be a player in monster deals to the elites like Seager/Correa.  There is a very clean delineation there.  

Yeah, unfortunately other people here were delusional and thought the realistic people were crazy when they said this would not happen. I do think Conforto is realistic (especially at that price) and I hope we get him.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

11 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

You may not think but Harold led us to believe the team thought it was realistic. Granted, the front office has been delusional in the past but still.

Shrug. It never made sense though.  Said as much since he first started pushing that narrative.  

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Shrug. It never made sense though.  Said as much since he first started pushing that narrative.  

Agreed (I didn't mean to include myself in the word *us* but more the board in general). Honestly didn't want him for what I thought he would get (slightly more than he got).

Edited by Bob Sacamano

It appears the most  optimistic/realistic offseason at this point would be the following:

- Graveman to boost the bullpen

- Kimbrel traded for a 2B like Segura and maybe a backup catcher/depth

- Signing Conforto to play RF

- A low-end starting pitcher for depth/insurance like Duffy, Smyly, Hill.

If that comes to fruition, are we considering that a successful offseason? Just curious to where everyone stands on this scenario. 

Edited by soxfan3530

23 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Some fans lack of understanding that the Sox operate within a budget and likely always will (even once JR is gone) is equally maddening.  You're getting mad at something that was never going to happen anyway.  Sox have ~$170M+ committed to this team as is.  No way they're going over $200M.  Only so many dollars to go around. 

It's funny to me that this whole time you're assuming I thought we were getting Scherzer and that I don't understand how budgets work, when I'm actually annoyed that we weren't in on Eduardo Escobar on Alex Wood, who I considered to be both realistic targets and players of note...hence the whole subjective comment.

1 minute ago, soxfan3530 said:

It appears the most  optimistic/realistic offseason at this point would be the following:

If that comes to fruition, are we giving considering that a successful offseason? Just curious to where everyone stands on this scenario. 

Yes, absolutely. Segura is a solid option at second base hitting 9th, Conforto is a left handed bat who can finally fill our gigantic hole in RF, and a lottery ticket SP is a good backup for Kopech/Keuchel.

16 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Those fans react that way because they're spoiled kids always given the shiniest toys.

Sox fans react this way because they're in an abusive relationship who never ever fulfills the words and promises said to them and are constantly misled and lied to. 

There are huge differences between the two.

Does that make you the kid who cries throughout November because he hasn't gotten any Christmas presents yet? 

15 minutes ago, hi8is said:

@35thstreetswarm is forever in my heart as a Waking Life fan, apparently.

You know, there’s a modern tool called a “keyboard” which is assured to be on whatever device you’re using to access this site!

It is a really handy thing that will allow you to actually communicate in words, using your language of choice!

No more reliance on simple emoticon clicks! Add to ( or take away from ) any conversation from the comfort of your own home!

infomercial end

• Fire 1

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Jsut what this team needs - another below average hitter against RHP for a huge price tag! 

While his offense is a weird fit, I wouldn't say adding a tremendous defensive middle infielder with plus overall offense doesn't fit our needs.

5 minutes ago, soxfan3530 said:

If that comes to fruition, are we considering that a successful offseason? Just curious to where everyone stands on this scenario. 

I don't have a problem with Segura, what I do have an issue with is them picking up Kimbrel's option just to trade it for an almost equal salary. You could have just bought him out for a million and signed somebody in free agency. Unless they're getting some prospects back in a deal like that, it really doesn't make a ton of sense. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2