MLB 2021-2 off season thread

southsider2k5

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think they fucked that up which means he's going to be closing games this year, with Hendriks in the 8th. 

I mean, you and I both know that's not the case, simply because you said there's no baseball until 2023.

But also because Liam Hendriks is the reliever of the year and even after TLR said they'd sharing closing duties, they didn't.

4 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Tough to tell. I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't. Harold made it sound obvious there was a market for him and they weren't buying him out because of it. 

I just don't see why anybody would want him at 16m. 

None of the closers have signed yet.  Not worried about Kimbrel being an albatross

1 minute ago, fathom said:

It all seems pretty simple if you step back. Jerry wants to wait until he knows what the CBA is until spending significant money. Only reason Graveman was signed was to give them peace of mind for when they discuss Kimbrel over the lockout.

Could be, but then again, hope they weren’t planning on a large pitching expenditure since they don’t exist anymore.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chw42 said:

It'll be fun to see the mental gymnastics that Dodgers fan will have to do to convince themselves that he's not so bad after calling him a cheater for the last 2 years. Same for Yankees fans. 

Yankees fans cheered for ARod and Clemens(among others).  They do not care 

1 minute ago, fathom said:

It all seems pretty simple if you step back. Jerry wants to wait until he knows what the CBA is until spending significant money. Only reason Graveman was signed was to give them peace of mind for when they discuss Kimbrel over the lockout.

What a brilliant diabolical plan. 

JR: Hold your horses guys,let's wait until the CBA and then you can spend real money.

*All the choice FAs get signed*

*CBA occurs*

JR: OK guys, you can get your RF, 2B and SP now.

RH: But Jerry all the best options are off the market now.

JR: What a shame, sounds like your team is on the field. 

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

Graveman said today he was told Hendriks is the closer

He is clearly the closer - if Kimbrel is around he's a set-up guy. They aren't moving Hendriks and the narrative that Kimbrel can't pitch the 8th is wrong. Kimbrel just was bad with the Sox - whether he had mental issues or not I have no idea, but he wasn't good with the Sox, period.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Things have slowed down considerably anyways but who knows maybe there will be some signings later today and tomorrow.

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

He is clearly the closer - if Kimbrel is around he's a set-up guy. They aren't moving Hendriks and the narrative that Kimbrel can't pitch the 8th is wrong. Kimbrel just was bad with the Sox - whether he had mental issues or not I have no idea, but he wasn't good with the Sox, period.  

Kimbrel will be moved. He doesn’t want to pitch the 8th and the Sox don’t want him pitching the 8th.  

2 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

What a brilliant diabolical plan. 

JR: Hold your horses guys,let's wait until the CBA and then you can spend real money.

*All the choice FAs get signed*

*CBA occurs*

JR: OK guys, you can get your RF, 2B and SP now.

RH: But Jerry all the best options are off the market now.

JR: What a shame, sounds like your team is on the field. 

I’d agree but no one has signed that I could see them being super interested in.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Kimbrel will be moved. He doesn’t want to pitch the 8th and the Sox don’t want him pitching the 8th.  

I agree - but more stating if somehow they didn't move him - he is clearly the set-up guy and not a closer. Only way he is closing is if Hendricks is bad or hurt.  

Just now, whitesoxwinner said:

I guess they weren't interested in the guys that signed, but I personally think they should have been

If you had your pick at any single free agent who signed below 120 million... which one would you have picked?