MLB 2021-2 off season thread

southsider2k5

38 minutes ago, Quin said:

lmao

4icnn0kp4r281.jpg

Not saying he belongs here, and he clearly isn't the offensive player the others are, but you may be surprised that at his best, Simmons certainly belongs.  

Simmons, over his career averages 3.73 bWAR per season?  

Correa is 4.87, Story is 4.45, Semien is 3.18, Seager is 3.04, Baez is 2.95.  By bWAR, on a per season basis, he has been bested only by Story and Correa on this list.  

Now, with that being said he is oldest guy on the list, and has been really pedestrian the last 3 seasons.  He obviously won't get near the contract any of the other guys.  I just wanted to give his due credit because at the most important defensive position on the field, he is the best defensive player.  

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

I'll ask you a question you asked others, why do you care about JR's money?

It was obvious he would be back. LaRussa loves Leury more than Leury's mother does.

Nobody cares about Jerry's money. We're complaining about the utter disdain Jerry has for the players. He spends what he has to. 

He only re-signs his guys if he can get a Scottie Pippen type bargain. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I'll ask you a question you asked others, why do you care about JR's money?

It was obvious he would be back. LaRussa loves Leury more than Leury's mother does.

I care about giving bad players little sums of money because it continues to emphasize that this team hasn't changed the way they operate and will continue to invest small sums in bad players instead of investing one bigger sum in a good player.

36 minutes ago, hi8is said:

If you had your pick at any single free agent who signed below 120 million... which one would you have picked?

Ray was my top choice in my "offseason plan",

Matz would have been my second choice, upping his deal another $1M-$2M per year to snag him. 

Gomes was the Bronze medal winner, unless they could get Contreras in a trade (or would serve as Contreras back up by trading Grandal for Gallo).

17 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

3 years for Garcia, my goodness.

As long as Tony is alive, Leury is a White Sox.

4 hours ago, bmags said:

We joke about how fans are stupid but in fact sox should hire me just so I could tell them that they are misreading the market and had they done that in 2019 by 2022 I would be one of 40 special assistants to the Vice President's in the org with my success.

Maybe we could start a petition demanding your immediate hire.

12 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I care about giving bad players little sums of money because it continues to emphasize that this team hasn't changed the way they operate and will continue to invest small sums in bad players instead of investing one bigger sum in a good player.

But then you don't care and criticize people who don't want the Sox to give bad players like Marcus Semien will most likely be  when he is 36 or 37, a ton of money. 

1 hour ago, GREEDY said:

Has anyone dove into Winker's defense? 

I foolishly thought he was a decent defender because I remembered him playing some CF.  Evidently the metrics say he is a poor left fielder so I have no clue how that could possibly work in RF.

Yep, It was discussed earlier n some thread. CBS sportsline recently had an article about it, suggesting he would be a great DH pickup.

1 hour ago, Bunt Ritual said:

Ok, so we would literally have to empty the farm to acquire them which would then just create a whole list of other problems. 

Personally, I don't see any influx of prospects coming from a Kimbrel trade, so I don't know why you would count on that either.

I think its likely we will trade for a sp and no we won't empty the farm to do it. Teams need salary relief. Sonny Gray is not going to cost a bevy of prospects, Castillo might. The A's guys vary depending on control left on contract.