MLB 2021-2 off season thread

southsider2k5

2 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Wendle would have been an ideal fit on this roster. It's tough to make trades when you have a bad farm system, but I'd imagine Wendle went for something the Sox could afford.

Someone informed me here that it wouldn’t cost Vaughn or Crochet. So glad to have that insight… would have never known. 😆

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Wendle would have been an ideal fit on this roster. It's tough to make trades when you have a bad farm system, but I'd imagine Wendle went for something the Sox could afford.

If we traded for Wendle, he'd eventually figure out how we run things around here and retire.

Just now, maxjusttyped said:

Insane that the Rays have so much depth they're giving away ML ready prospects or ~2+ WAR guys because they don't have room for them

Fer serious. Just to get back more ~2+ WAR players back since their scouting and development posts are the bees knees.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Fer serious. Just to get back more ~2+ WAR players back since their scouting and development posts are the bees knees.

There was a point in September when the Rays had the best record in the AL, AAA, High-A, and Low-A. They are so far ahead of nearly every organization at scouting and player dev it's insane.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Seems obvious they have someone specific in mind to play 2nd. Probably will be Segura.

Kimbrel doom strikes again?

If they could have had Windle they should have beat out the Marlins offer. Only plausible reason was if the Rays didn’t want to deal him to a contender in the AL and that is doubtful IMO.

Lame.

Pivot. Trade Kimbrel for something else. Windle was perfect.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saufley said:

Why didn't anyone from Soxtalk tell the Sox front office that Wendle was being made available by Tampa?

I should offer to develop a transaction alert system for them. Utilize Baseball America and  Twitter APIs…

When a player fitting a range of stat metrics sees an increase in tweet volume, send text message to all front office executives.

Create it in a way that an admin can weigh desired positions, contract expectations, trade value estimates, etc.

Come on White Sox… just give me about $350,000 and you can have a new shiny toy that would be the envy of the Houston Blasthoes.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, fathom said:

Seems obvious they have someone specific in mind to play 2nd. Probably will be Segura.

Seguar isn't great offensively - and he is a righty - but his defense is really good and I think he'd be near elite at 2B (me projecting so I could be wrong) - and his contact rate is high (a plus for this lineup and assuming we add some pop in RF), which is a nice fit in back of order. He also has good speed and is a good base runner. So I really have nothing wrong with Segura. Is he exciting - no - but he will be a good player, under most plausible scenarios what we thought Hernandez would be - and that isn't a bad thing, not as your 8th or 9th best player.  

The positional flexibility is also really nice - knowing he can play a good SS too.  And he has familiarity with the AL - which I think is a plus, having been pretty solid in the cavernous SafeCo (although maybe as a contact / line drive type guy the bigger park actually helped him).