MLB 2021-2 off season thread

southsider2k5

14 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Love seeing club options on these deals.  I've always wondered why they don't push for them on short term deals.  If you are going to bet on a guy, and give him opportunity, make sure it pays off if you are correct.  

What more would it have cost the Sox to have a club option at about 6-8 million on Los for this season?  An extra million guaranteed?  Rodon got 1/3 last year.  It could have looked like this:

'21  @ 3

'22 @ 6 ( club option with 1 million dollar buyout)

'23 @ 9 (club option with 1 million dollar buyout)

It would have cost you…Carlos Rodon. His agent is not a guy willing to give up free agent years without a big return. He would not have given up 2 years of FA for $1 million more.

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Sheets headlining a deal for Sonny Gray would be a massive W.  

This. If he's the headliner, you do it 8 days a week. Sheets is a platoon lefty that didn't do anything special in the minors and quite frankly sucked at every defensive position he played, including 1st base. He's got a sweet swing and hit some timely bombs, but you sell high on him if you can. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ron883 said:

This. If he's the headliner, you do it 8 days a week. Sheets is a platoon lefty that didn't do anything special in the minors and quite frankly sucked at every defensive position he played, including 1st base. He's got a sweet swing and hit some timely bombs, but you sell high on him if you can. 

Yep.  I like Gavin and I think he has a role on this team.  We definitely need lefties. Its unfortunate he can't field a position.  I sincerely worry that Gavin's presence will hamper Vaughn's development.  Worse yet, I worry that Gavin's presense will result in the Sox trading a franchise cornerstone in Vaughn.  They can all co-exist - namely, Gavin being a bench player or AAA insurance.  But if you can turn 26 year old Gavin Sheets who was basically a non-prospect a year ago (Sox didn't even invite him to alt site) into Sonny Gray in the midst of your contention window, you do it all day long. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yep.  I like Gavin and I think he has a role on this team.  We definitely need lefties. Its unfortunate he can't field a position.  I sincerely worry that Gavin's presence will hamper Vaughn's development.  Worse yet, I worry that Gavin's presense will result in the Sox trading a franchise cornerstone in Vaughn.  They can all co-exist - namely, Gavin being a bench player or AAA insurance.  But if you can turn 26 year old Gavin Sheets who was basically a non-prospect a year ago (Sox didn't even invite him to alt site) into Sonny Gray in the midst of your contention window, you do it all day long. 

That all being said, the Reds aren't trading Gray, who is controlled for 2 years at ~$22M including a $12M club option for 2023, in a deal headlined by Gavin Sheets.  They're asking for Vaughn, or Crochet.  And I am not doing that trade. 

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

That all being said, the Reds aren't trading Gray, who is controlled for 2 years at ~$22M including a $12M club option for 2023, in a deal headlined by Gavin Sheets.  They're asking for Vaughn, or Crochet.  And I am not doing that trade. 

Sox are far more likely to get a guy like Manaea than Gray. Manaea only has one year of control left. 

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

There's no way Gray will get a prospect the caliber of Vaughn/Crochet. But I agree they should be able to top Sheets elsewhere.

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin