MLB 2021-2 off season thread

southsider2k5

16 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

They likely also are strongly concerned about the luxury tax level, and they only have $13 million in space right now, if there’s not a big change until next offseason.

I can see where that is an issue. They are probably banking on moving Kimbrel first but teams are not prioritizing trades right now.

50 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Of course, we almost universally predicted this situation would arise.  Sure it came up once or twice in the so-called "war room."

Yeah I wonder if the Sox FO ever reads fan blogs, and boards like this to get hints and suggestions or they just don’t care to because they should. Either way, I still think they will turn it around and have a good offseason. Just got to wait and be patient.

Edited by maloney.adam

16 minutes ago, Whisox05 said:

$12 million for one year of Bradley.   Renfroe has two remaining years, looking like $7,500,000 and then final ARB year...makes up for the missing Avi Garcia power.  Going by spotrac numbers, seems to be a discrepancy there.

$11 million (JBJ) and $5.5 million vs. $7.5 million for Renfroe.  Quintessential under the radar deal for MIL/Stearns.

Edited by caulfield12

2 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

2 prospects are going to Boston as well.

They're in the high teens in the Brewers' system. I'm not sure why Boston decided to trade a guy who hit 30 homers and was worth 3 WAR for a negative value player last year who's making a lot more money.

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

This deal convince me that we can totally get rid of Kimbrel's contract if the Brewers found a taker for JBJ.

Absolutely.  The narrative on here that Kimbrel’s contract is going to be hard to get rid of has always seemed crazy to me.  This Segura-or-bust thing, what the hell?  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Absolutely.  The narrative on here that Kimbrel’s contract is going to be hard to get rid of has always seemed crazy to me.  This Segura-or-bust thing, what the hell?  

It's a fairly unique situation in which Boston wanted their former player back, despite his lack of performance in MIL.

That said, Milwaukee also has the more abundant farm system to help balance out the two contracts...as Renfroe clearly had/has more value entering 2022.

Would the Cubs or Red Sox or Braves or Padres desperately want Kimbrel back?   We shall see.

2 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

100% - If Kimbrel was a free agent he would be getting a 3 yr 35-45M deal.  The fact that he is on a 1yr deal - his AAV is a bit high, but its one year which counters any of that risk. At most someone could say he is a couple M overpaid but since I presume Sox are acquiring MLB talent they are okay with that and fine taking on another deal which more than negates that.  Bottom line - they will get something serviceable for Kimbrel.

I still wouldn't have bothered/taken the risk and would have not picked up the option, cause I'd rather have full flexibility - but to each their own.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chw42 said:

This deal convince me that we can totally get rid of Kimbrel's contract if the Brewers found a taker for JBJ.

The Red Sox also got 2 prospects in the Brewers’ top 20 including their third round pick from last summer who was a guy that slumped in his last year but had a strong showing after being drafted - thus he’s probably gained relative value over the last few months.

For the even weaker White Sox system this might be like including Sean Burke (Futuresox #13, their 3rd round pick in 21) and either Rodriguez (Futuresox #10) or Burger (higher ranked but less flexibility in position than the guy Boston acquired who can play the middle infield spots, notably both that guy and Burger had Achilles injuries). I would agree that if the White Sox gave up those 2 players in addition to Kimbrel, they should get a decent player in return for the negative value player in Kimbrel, just as Milwaukee did with their negative value player here.

Notably, Renfroe is about a 2 WAR player most years, but he’s also Arb2 so some money is being paid to him the next 2 years and he’s not all that spectacular. If the White Sox moved Burger and Burke, they’d be expecting a much better return than that, so the Brewers are adding some solid talent here to clear that contract, with a limited MLB return.

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The Red Sox also got 2 prospects in the Brewers’ top 20 including their third round pick from last summer who was a guy that slumped in his last year but had a strong showing after being drafted - thus he’s probably gained relative value over the last few months.

For the even weaker White Sox system this might be like including Sean Burke (Futuresox #13, their 3rd round pick in 21) and either Rodriguez (Futuresox #10) or Burger (higher ranked but less flexibility in position than the guy Boston acquired who can play the middle infield spots, notably both that guy and Burger had Achilles injuries). I would agree that if the White Sox gave up those 2 players in addition to Kimbrel, they should get a decent player in return for the negative value player in Kimbrel, just as Milwaukee did with their negative value player here.

“Negative value Kimbrel”