MLB 2021-2 off season thread

southsider2k5

2 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Gotta think it’s Semien since someone (forget who) reported interest? Unless another less option signed that isn’t jumping to mind.

Escobar maybe.

Heyman outlined from Boras on the record what every single team that was interested told him, and the White Sox never contacted him about Semien. They had zero interest in him.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Heyman outlined from Boras on the record what every single team that was interested told him, and the White Sox never contacted him about Semien. They had zero interest in him.

I also find it impossible to believe the Sox would have been "close" to signing a ~150M+ contract and it wouldn't have leaked out anywhere.

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I’m sure they had interest in him, but when they had an idea of the cost, they walked away,  They were out quickly with Harper but did meet with him. The way Boras operates drives JR nuts. I really doubt the Sox will ever sign a huge FA represented by Boras until JR is out of the picture.

On 12/25/2021 at 7:37 AM, Chicago White Sox said:

He makes a ton of sense for us.  Just no idea what he’d cost and he’s not someone I’m willing to overpay for.

How about something like Keuchel, Collins and Crochet for McCann & McNeil. If the Sox have to add in an extra prospect of the lottery ticket variety, then ok.

Bad money is going both ways (Keuchel and McCann). But ultimately - combine this deal with dumping Kimbrel off somewhere, and the Sox have money to sign Conforto, another reliever like Tepera and a #4-5 starter to replace Keuchel.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I’m sure they had interest in him, but when they had an idea of the cost, they walked away,  They were out quickly with Harper but did meet with him. The way Boras operates drives JR nuts. I really doubt the Sox will ever sign a huge FA represented by Boras until JR is out of the picture.

They never put in a call to say they were interested. 

7 minutes ago, Sarava said:

How about something like Keuchel, Collins and Crochet for McCann & McNeil. If the Sox have to add in an extra prospect of the lottery ticket variety, then ok.

Bad money is going both ways (Keuchel and McCann). But ultimately - combine this deal with dumping Kimbrel off somewhere, and the Sox have money to sign Conforto, another reliever like Tepera and a #4-5 starter to replace Keuchel.

I can't say the Mets wouldn't, but you have the Mets taking on something like $8 million, which they'll pay a 42% tax on if the previous CBA rules are still close to standing. 

7 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

In James Fegan's "White Sox anxiety survey results", he dropped this nugget I found interesting

" The White Sox nearly added their starting second baseman before the lockout, so there are some outward signs of their agreement about the state of affairs. "

https://theathletic.com/3036138/2021/12/27/white-sox-anxiety-index-survey-results-second-base-tops-list-of-biggest-offseason-concerns/

I would totally believe that Hahn was convinced that the Phillies would do Kimbrel for Segura as soon as they saw how much other relievers were going for, was then really surprised when the Phillies signed Knebel, said "The trade market hasn't started moving yet" as a public version of it, and is saying they "nearly added a starting second baseman" when he is telling people in the organization what happened.

14 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I can't say the Mets wouldn't, but you have the Mets taking on something like $8 million, which they'll pay a 42% tax on if the previous CBA rules are still close to standing. 

Good point. Though they could view it as money they will save back the next year when Keuchel is off the books and the Sox still owe McCann 2/24.

11 hours ago, Sarava said:

That’s a framework that makes some sense.  Just got to be sure you’re getting a McNeil that’s closer to the 2018-20 version than the 2021 one.

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Despite missing most of the season, Madrigal put up an fWAR higher than McNeil and McCann combined. It's amazing how much love these players get.

I like Madrigal but he’s gone and McNeil was a high end-player from 2018 to 2020.  I also think McCann is hugely overrated around here, but I think him at $7.5M/year is worth it (if you assume Keuchel is worth ~$10M and will cost us $19.5M).  That being said, I’d have rather signed a 2B than trade Crochet to fill the hole, but not a lot of options that only cost money at the moment.

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

All this being said, I’d probably prefer seeing the Dodgers would do something like Crochet for Lux.  Maybe make it expand it to include Kimbrel and other pieces, but I’d rather go with the younger guy with more team control if I’m giving an arm like Crochet.

Lux is another guy I find to be a bit overrated. He put up huge numbers in leagues everyone puts up huge numbers. He is young though, but it wouldn't surprise me if he put up a sub .700 OPS in 2022.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

All this being said, I’d probably prefer seeing the Dodgers would do something like Crochet for Lux.  Maybe make it expand it to include Kimbrel and other pieces, but I’d rather go with the younger guy with more team control if I’m giving an arm like Crochet.

Yeah, I think @Harold's Leg Lift has hinted about talks that included Kimbrel and Lux. I would assume there would be more pieces involved though like you suggest.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Dodgers trading lux with their turners getting older, Muncy out for an extended run and losing Seager seems more implausible than before.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Lux is another guy I find to be a bit overrated. He put up huge numbers in leagues everyone puts up huge numbers. He is young though, but it wouldn't surprise me if he put up a sub .700 OPS in 2022.

He’s a still developing player, so obviously you don’t know what you’re going to get.  That being said, he’s a former 70 grade prospect prospect, who bats left-handed, adds much needed athleticism, and fills a position of need (and appears to be a good defensive 2B to boot).  He’s exactly the type of player you gamble on if you are the White Sox if the price is right.  Worst-case scenario, he should be a very productive platoon 2B given his splits (104 wRC+ against RHP last year) and defensive value.  If we were to add him and Conforto, I’d be super fucking pumped about the offense.  Again, it all comes down to the cost though.

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

Dodgers trading lux with their turners getting older, Muncy out for an extended run and losing Seager seems more implausible than before.

That’s a very fair point.  But 2B is generally such an easy position to fill that I wouldn’t rule it out completely, but that’s me just speculating.

1 minute ago, Quin said:

How would everyone feel if the Sox traded Madrigal + Heuer straight up for Lux at the trade deadline?

I wouldn't have loved it at the time, but would have liked more than the Kimbrel trade.  Both with hindsight, and without it. 

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The Athletic was under the impression that the White Sox were closing in on a deal with Eduardo Escobar prior to him signing with the Mets. He told us that on the FutureSox podcast. 

Ahhh - thanks for clarifying.  So basically, Sox were not willing to go 2/$20M on EE?  Not super encouraging. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yeah that is true. They love their depth. NL getting a DH also opens up Turner to get at bats there and Lux or Taylor to get at bats at 3B.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I wouldn't have loved it at the time, but would have liked more than the Kimbrel trade.  Both with hindsight, and without it. 

Ahhh - thanks for clarifying.  So basically, Sox were not willing to go 2/$20M on EE?  Not super encouraging. 

Or he chose the Mets instead. I have no idea.