MLB 2021-2 off season thread

southsider2k5

30 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The thing that is going to annoy me is you know Lester is going to be a slam dunk HOF guy because he pitched in Boston and for the Cubs, meanwhile the guy with remarkably similar numbers in Mark Buehrle struggles to get to 5%.

Yup. Same goes with Mike Mussina (NYY)

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin

8 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

The thing that is going to annoy me is you know Lester is going to be a slam dunk HOF guy because he pitched in Boston and for the Cubs, meanwhile the guy with remarkably similar numbers in Mark Buehrle struggles to get to 5%.

Not even similar really. Lester career fWAR 46.2, Buehrle 52.3 career fWAR. Buehrle has 20% more IP,

37 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

I saw headline in the Trib sports section. Apparently, Paul Sullivan thinks the Cubs should retire Lester's number. I actually think Lester is a class guy, and he did his job for the Cubs. But this is a bit much. But this is Cub-loving Paul Sullivan.

I don't know, he is probably the most important free agent signing in team history.  Retiring his number doesn't seem ridiculous to me, but I haven't really done a deep dive on the numbers either.

17 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

I don't know, he is probably the most important free agent signing in team history.  Retiring his number doesn't seem ridiculous to me, but I haven't really done a deep dive on the numbers either.

I feel like the equivalent is the Sox retiring Jermaine Dye's number.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, turnin' two said:

He was an important piece to the team, no doubt. But he was with the team for only six years. And sometimes I think too many numbers are retired. Lester was a good pitcher, but he doesn't rank up there with Ferguson Jenkins, and I don't know if Jenkins' number was retired or not. This is an overreaction to Lester's retirement.

9 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

He was an important piece to the team, no doubt. But he was with the team for only six years. And sometimes I think too many numbers are retired. Lester was a good pitcher, but he doesn't rank up there with Ferguson Jenkins, and I don't know if Jenkins' number was retired or not. This is an overreaction to Lester's retirement.

Yeah that seems fair.  Jenkins does have his number retired too (along with Maddux)

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Javy Vazquez and his 53.7 fWAR in 2800 innings blows them all away. Who else would you rather have on the mound in a must win game? Should have been 1st ballot.

12-20-2005 Traded by Arizona Diamondbacks to Chicago White Sox in exchange for Orlando Hernandez, Luis Vizcaino and Chris Young (December 20, 2005).
12-04-2008 Traded by Chicago White Sox with Boone Logan to Atlanta Braves in exchange for Brent Lillibridge, Tyler Flowers, Jon Gilmore and Santos Rodriguez (December 4, 2008).

On 1/12/2022 at 8:30 AM, southsider2k5 said:

:cheersMLB should be proud of guys like Buerhle. I'd rather hold him up as an example of what is right in the game than some of the guys that embarrassed the game. 

• Like 1

On 1/15/2022 at 5:09 AM, Texsox said:

:cheersMLB should be proud of guys like Buerhle. I'd rather hold him up as an example of what is right in the game than some of the guys that embarrassed the game. 

Or Mussina getting so much credit simply because he pitched for the Yankees, went to Stanford and can do the NY Times Sunday crossword puzzle.