southsider2k5

MLB 2021-2 off season thread

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Jesse Rogers was reporting it, but then after the lockout started said he was wrong 

Hahn can probably call Dombrowski about trading a "bearded closer" for a "disgruntled on social media shortstop" and prospects, but if they leave a paper trail or use names, the Bulls get fined a second round pick.

14 minutes ago, fathom said:

Jesse Rogers was reporting it, but then after the lockout started said he was wrong 

So they can't negotiate trades? Seems odd.

Just now, striker said:

I mean, it's a monetary transaction containing a locked out employee, it's really not that odd.  I can't remember a lot about the 94 strike but I don't remember any player movement until it ended 

4 minutes ago, striker said:

I believe it's a matter of whether the players are in the MLBPA or basically on the 40 man roster. So Sox could trade an A baller to Miami for an A baller but they can't trade Kimbrel for Segura. That's my understanding and I could be wrong. There pretty limited info available on this scenario. 

4 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I mean, it's a monetary transaction containing a locked out employee, it's really not that odd.  I can't remember a lot about the 94 strike but I don't remember any player movement until it ended 

At the very least it was possible to do some business, someone pointed out that the Yankees got an extension done for Paul O'Neill during the 94 strike.

https://www.nytimes.com/1994/10/29/sports/baseball-yanks-give-o-neill-19-million-contract.html

According to B-R's timeline, Jack McDowell was traded to the Yankees in December of 1994?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/majors/1995-transactions.shtml

I would imagine the owners are basically telling front offices not to make trades while they can't make contact with players rather than any legal cba barrier. And the commissioners office may also let teams know they won't approve any during this time. But hey, maybe it leaks that a trade is agreed to but will not be confirmed as official until after.

On 12/5/2021 at 10:04 PM, SoCalChiSox said:

Why couldn't they at least move Kimbrel before the lockout, Jimmy? 

I'm guessing they feel like there will be more interest after the lockout ends and they can talk trade this whole time basically 

No transaction can be made with 40-man players. GM's are absolutely talking though. What else would they be doing? It's just not going to get out. 

50 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I'm guessing they feel like there will be more interest after the lockout ends and they can talk trade this whole time basically 

Right.  There was no reason to trade him before the lockout.  Just wait for the teams that missed out on their free agent targets.

4 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Right.  There was no reason to trade him before the lockout.  Just wait for the teams that missed out on their free agent targets.

Sure, but it does put more pressure on the Sox to clear him quickly when this flurry of moves eventually takes place...as they will be more unlikely to add a larger contract like Conforto with Kimbrel still occupying that 2022 payroll space.

Most off season ever. Teams can send secret codes for ptbnl over Western Onion. 

It is a certainty that both the players and the owners will both lose money if this lockout drags on.  For sure the vendors and local retailers who make their money from the home games will lose money.  The fans are deprived of their baseball fix.  Only the Union executives and the Commissioners office employees escape with nothing to lose.

5 minutes ago, poppysox said:

It is a certainty that both the players and the owners will both lose money if this lockout drags on.  For sure the vendors and local retailers who make their money from the home games will lose money.  The fans are deprived of their baseball fix.  Only the Union executives and the Commissioners office employees escape with nothing to lose.

Well, there's at least 2 months before this is true. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Well, there's at least 2 months before this is true. 

True.  Other than players' lives being unsettled it's not a big deal.  I bet when we see the final agreement it will be hard to understand what months of negotiations accomplished.

On 12/7/2021 at 9:44 AM, bmags said:

I would imagine the owners are basically telling front offices not to make trades while they can't make contact with players rather than any legal cba barrier. And the commissioners office may also let teams know they won't approve any during this time. But hey, maybe it leaks that a trade is agreed to but will not be confirmed as official until after.

I imagine they can’t make players show up for a physical, which would be required for just about any trade, but I’m sure there’s some talks going on that could turn into something official once the lockout ends.  It’s not tampering for two front offices to talk and they’re not locked out….

4 hours ago, bighurt574 said:

I imagine they can’t make players show up for a physical, which would be required for just about any trade, but I’m sure there’s some talks going on that could turn into something official once the lockout ends.  It’s not tampering for two front offices to talk and they’re not locked out….

It would be pretty funny if a flurry of moves are made once the lockout is over.

5 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

It would be pretty funny if a flurry of moves are made once the lockout is over.

If this really lasts into Feb or later, there will be no choice.

4 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

If this really lasts into Feb or later, there will be no choice.

No matter how long the lockout lasts there still has to be some sort of "spring Training". Lots of transactions will happen then,