MLB 2021-2 off season thread

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Leury Garcia starting at second base isn't the plan. 

Signing Leury was independent of the search for a regular 2B. But if Hahn can't close a deal, it might just work out that way.
Alas - the Aparicio-Fox days are such an ancient and much storied memory. Maybe an AI genius could find a way to animate the statue.

3 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Or he chose the Mets instead. I have no idea. 

When the Sox traded Escobar to Minnesota, he was so upset, he cried. Maybe he is buddies with someone on the Mets, or doesn't want anything to do with LaRussa, which would be odd since the Mets had no manager at the time,  but other than that, if the money was the same, I would think the Sox would have landed him. 

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

When the Sox traded Escobar to Minnesota, he was so upset, he cried. Maybe he is buddies with someone on the Mets, or doesn't want anything to do with LaRussa, which would be odd since the Mets had no manager at the time,  but other than that, if the money was the same, I would think the Sox would have landed him. 

If the Sox wanted Escobar we could have had him.  They have something better in mind IMO.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, poppysox said:

If the Sox wanted Escobar we could have had him.  They have something better in mind IMO.

Then why did Fegan tell FutureSox that the Sox thought they had?  I don't doubt the Sox could have had EE if they wanted him - if they would have paid him more than the Mets.  But it sounds like Fegan - who is as plugged in as anyone - told the other guy who is as plugged in as anyone (Jimmy) that the Sox wanted him, so I think that's safe to assume that's good info.  

12 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Then why did Fegan tell FutureSox that the Sox thought they had?  I don't doubt the Sox could have had EE if they wanted him - if they would have paid him more than the Mets.  But it sounds like Fegan - who is as plugged in as anyone - told the other guy who is as plugged in as anyone (Jimmy) that the Sox wanted him, so I think that's safe to assume that's good info.  

At 10 M per year, Escobar was more than affordable IMO.  I assume therefore that they have a better player in mind.  Yes...I know what is said about when you assume. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, reiks12 said:

fs659z8yjf881.jpg

Hes going to be a monster.. wish we tanked harder.

How?  Not played Moncada?...and it's not like any of the complementary or transition roster fillers that season (2018) turned out to be any good.

I suppose they could have forced more young pitching to the big leagues...but none of them were really ready or even close other than those already acquired via trade.

16 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

How?  Not played Moncada?...and it's not like any of the complementary or transition roster fillers that season (2018) turned out to be any good.

I suppose they could have forced more young pitching to the big leagues...but none of them were really ready or even close other than those already acquired via trade.

they just needed to lose 5 more games

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

And even though Eaton was released, he technically can't even sign a minor league contract. I think at one time he was a player rep. I bet that has something to do with messing with him.

He needs to file retirement paperwork to be officially "retired" and he probably can't with the league shut down.

That's my guess.

11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

He needs to file retirement paperwork to be officially "retired" and he probably can't with the league shut down.

That's my guess.

They put him in some category I had no idea existed where he is ineligible to sign a minor league contract during the lockout if he wanted.