MLB 2021-2 off season thread

southsider2k5

29 minutes ago, FoxForce2 said:

Just looked at Keith Law's top MiLB 100 prospects for this year on The Athletic. Not a single Sox. Rankings like this may be arbitrary, but still, a sad.state of affairs.

This shouldn't be shocking. We won't have any top 100 prospects on any list.  All of our big guys have graduated to the MLB the last 1-3 years.

3 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

This shouldn't be shocking. We won't have any top 100 prospects on any list.  All of our big guys have graduated to the MLB the last 1-3 years.

The bad news - from the owners' proposal, that would basically leave them ineligible for any of the draft pick rewards for bringing up a top prospect to start the year.

4 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I didn't say anything about being shocked. I just find this kind of metric to be disappointing and a sample of the drawbacks and weaknesses of the Sox organization in the big picture. The Big Picture meaning an outfit that is consistently in the hunt for playoff (and further) berths. In some highly competitive outfits Vaughn, Crochet and Sheets would still be prospects. That is to say minor leaguers that have a bright future - not guys that the team is dependent on to fill positions in the present.

17 hours ago, FoxForce2 said:

I didn't say anything about being shocked. I just find this kind of metric to be disappointing and a sample of the drawbacks and weaknesses of the Sox organization in the big picture. The Big Picture meaning an outfit that is consistently in the hunt for playoff (and further) berths. In some highly competitive outfits Vaughn, Crochet and Sheets would still be prospects. That is to say minor leaguers that have a bright future - not guys that the team is dependent on to fill positions in the present.

I personally would rather see guys like Vaughn and Crochet competing in the big leagues where they belong as opposed to siting in the minor leagues due to prospect hugging.  The whole point should be to put your best roster on the MLB field, not win top prospect lists.  

I have no issue with how the Sox have handled their younger guys, with the exception of giving up on Madrigal for an overpaid reliever. 

• Like 1

No I'm not especially interested in prospect 'hugging. I'm in favor of developing prospects. If Vaughn is vulnerable to RHP, then find out in AAA and work the kinks out. Does Crochet have SP potential?  A stint in the minors would have at least provided a direction to move him in. Playoff organizations, from The A's to the Dahjahs, maintain high end farm systems that continually move prospects up to the Majors - *when* they belong. That is the measure of an effective organization with practical, effective vision and goals. While any number of guys come into the system as 18 year year olds and get 2-4 years playing professional ball before going into the cauldron of MLB, the college guys who come into a system are often getting only 1-2 years of farm work, and in Vaughn's case, not even that. Is college ball really as solid a prep ground as some seem to think?

The Sox caught lightning in a bottle with Sale and seemingly have been running around in an open field under a storm cloud with an empty beer bottle in each hand ever since. e.g. I can't help but wonder if the 'major league ready' Rodon wouldn't have avoided at least some of his ailments had he been brought up the ladder at a more reasonable rate. A different case would be Eloy, who was obviously through the roof at the plate but whatever 'development' occurred with him as an outfielder just as obviously didn't take and probably wouldn't have even with more time at Charlotte.  But again, that is a unique case

p.s TA did 3 years in MiLB from the age of 20-23 before joining the Sox, it worked pretty well for him

Edited by FoxForce2

On 2/1/2022 at 11:17 AM, ChiSox59 said:

I personally would rather see guys like Vaughn and Crochet competing in the big leagues where they belong as opposed to siting in the minor leagues due to prospect hugging. 

Unless they could use the minors to develop Crochet as a starter; this will be season #3 in the pen, which is about  the time to shift him, if he's going to start.
He's a good reliever, but that's not what round 1 is for, and lordy does this FO use a lot of resources on relievers.

42 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Unless they could use the minors to develop Crochet as a starter; this will be season #3 in the pen, which is about  the time to shift him, if he's going to start.
He's a good reliever, but that's not what round 1 is for, and lordy does this FO use a lot of resources on relievers.

I think they'll use him like they used Kopech last year, but maybe a tad more aggressive since isn't coming off major surgery. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1