MLB 2021-2 off season thread

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Balta nails it yet again. 

Just remember that Balta and I agree on most things Sox related. 

Maybe Balta just says his opinion in a more indirect, more acceptable way. 

Lolol I can't he'll myself. Nvm~

Edited by ron883
  • Fire 2

55 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Alright guys, random hypothetical, but which of these scenarios would you prefer?  Assume in all three scenarios that Kimbrel is moved and cheaper bullpen reinforcements are acquired.

Option A:

• Marcus Semien: 6/$138M | $23M AAV
  • Chris Taylor: 4/$64M | $16M AAV
  • 5th starter = Dallas Keuchel

Option B:

• Michael Conforto: 4/$76M | $19M AAV
  • Eduardo Escobar: 2/$20M | $10M AAV
  • Chris Bassitt ($9M) for Jake Burger, Jose Rodriguez, & Jason Bilous

Option C::

• Max Scherzer: 3/$120M | $40M AAV
  • Tony Kemp ($2M AAV) for Micker Adolfo
  • RF = mix of Vaughn & Engel

Option B. Thank you so much for doing this! 

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Alright guys, random hypothetical, but which of these scenarios would you prefer?  Assume in all three scenarios that Kimbrel is moved and cheaper bullpen reinforcements are acquired.

Option A:

• Marcus Semien: 6/$138M | $23M AAV
  • Chris Taylor: 4/$64M | $16M AAV
  • 5th starter = Dallas Keuchel

Option B:

• Michael Conforto: 4/$76M | $19M AAV
  • Eduardo Escobar: 2/$20M | $10M AAV
  • Chris Bassitt ($9M) for Jake Burger, Jose Rodriguez, & Jason Bilous

Option C::

• Max Scherzer: 3/$120M | $40M AAV
  • Tony Kemp ($2M AAV) for Micker Adolfo
  • RF = mix of Vaughn & Engel

B, easily. 

14 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

B, easily. 

I can't imagine JR paying a former player they didn't value enough $138, let alone $160-185 million. 

Escobar for $20 mill at the tail end of his career would be a different feeling...that said, we deliberately passed on him for supposed injury reasons, so what has changed?  Just having a full offseason?

Edited by caulfield12

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I can't imagine JR paying a former player they didn't value enough $138, let alone $160-185 million. 

Escobar for $20 mill at the tail end of his career would be a different feeling...that said, we deliberately passed on him for supposed injury reasons, so what has changed?  Just having a full offseason?

You are really giving Parkman a run for his money with all this unfounded pessimism.  Why would Jerry hold a grudge against a player used in a win now trade because that player suddenly developed into something really good?  Like do you even think through what you’re saying anymore?

17 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You are really giving Parkman a run for his money with all this unfounded pessimism.  Why would Jerry hold a grudge against a player used in a win now trade because that player suddenly developed into something really good?  Like do you even think through what you’re saying anymore?

I don't think I'm being all that pessimistic. The Sox don't participate in the top of the free agent market. 

I think any of the tier B and lower FA are attainable. 

I don't understand what is so controversial about suggesting that the Sox won't be signing players like Seager, Correa and Scherzer. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't think I'm being all that pessimistic. The Sox don't participate in the top of the free agent market. 

I think any of the tier B and lower FA are attainable. 

I don't understand what is so controversial about suggesting that the Sox won't be signing players like Seager, Correa and Scherzer. 

Name one person who suggested Seager & Correa?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bmags said:

C

A

B

All good offseasons

I am a big fan of C, and it was difficult to choose anything over adding Scherzer to the rotation.  

But I just couldn’t pass up the relentlessness of the Option B’s lineup, with a ton of LH power.  B also manages to improve the defense slightly while having five above average starters with room for improvement.  SP 1-4 are also plenty durable to allow Kopech to breath a little in the 5 spot.  

Option B just seems like the team with the least chance of failing at being extremely good.  

35 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I blame it all on Balta and Umair Haque's Medium.com articles...and living in China for too long, lol.

Edited by caulfield12

20 minutes ago, Sambuca said:

I am a big fan of C, and it was difficult to choose anything over adding Scherzer to the rotation.  

But I just couldn’t pass up the relentlessness of the Option B’s lineup, with a ton of LH power.  B also manages to improve the defense slightly while having five above average starters with room for improvement.  SP 1-4 are also plenty durable to allow Kopech to breath a little in the 5 spot.  

Option B just seems like the team with the least chance of failing at being extremely good.  

What I’ll say about Semien and Taylor is despite both being RH they were more productive last year vs RHP than Escobar/Conforto.

Semien crushed RHP. 

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

What I’ll say about Semien and Taylor is despite both being RH they were more productive last year vs RHP than Escobar/Conforto.

Semien crushed RHP. 

Not to sidetrack the convo but it seems impossible to imagine Semien and Taylor going to the same place. Too many teams looking for shortstops 

22 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

How are these guys in the same category?  Correa & Seager are getting $300M contracts and are in a completely different stratosphere.

Like I said, I think Semien is getting a 200M contract which is out of the Sox price range and Scherzer and Kershaw are probably going back to LA anyway, with at least a 35M AAV over 3 years. 

Of the big ticket MI the only one I think the Sox have a chance to get is Story, and that is if they're willing to approach $150M and I don't want Story or Baez anyway. 

I estimate a limit of $150M on a position player and 80-95M on a pitcher. 

As per usual, the Sox will probably acquire either a RF or 2B via trade, and fill the other in FA. 

I think they're going to at least attempt for a bounce back from Keuchel, unless they can dump him in a money for money deal to fill a hole elsewhere. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

24 minutes ago, fathom said:

Not to sidetrack the convo but it seems impossible to imagine Semien and Taylor going to the same place. Too many teams looking for shortstops 

There would be a team putting him exclusively at short? Maybe I’m crazy but doesn’t feel like that many teams looking for SS. 

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Like I said, I think Semien is getting a 200M contract which is out of the Sox price range and Scherzer and Kershaw are probably going back to LA anyway, with at least a 35M AAV over 3 years. 

Of the big ticket MI the only one I think the Sox have a chance to get is Story, and that is if they're willing to approach $150M and I don't want Story or Baez anyway. 

I estimate a limit of $150M on a position player and 80-95M on a pitcher. 

As per usual, the Sox will probably acquire either a RF or 2B via trade, and fill the other in FA. 

I think they're going to at least attempt for a bounce back from Keuchel, unless they can dump him in a money for money deal to fill a hole elsewhere. 

I will bet my life’s savings Semien doesn’t get $200M.

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

There would be a team putting him exclusively at short? Maybe I’m crazy but doesn’t feel like that many teams looking for SS. 

Sorry, meant to say middle infield help. I saw a list earlier today that had 5-6 teams interested in Taylor, including the Cardinals.