MLB 2021-2 off season thread

southsider2k5

The Pirates’ #27 Prospect, Ji-Hwan Bae was placed under a 30 game minor league suspension for his NYE 2017 Domestic Violence incident against his girlfriend in South Korea.

His victim (who was publicly known prior to today), Seul-GI Kim, has requested that the Pirates release Bae. Kim was awarded the US Equivalent of $1,755 last month in her civil lawsuit filed in South Korea, which she donated to a fund which helps victims of Domestic Violence. Bae was convicted in criminal court in 2018.

Bae, currently 19, was not a member of the Pirates at the time of the incident, signing two plus months after the incident, with a $1.2M signing bonus.

https://theathletic.com/932591/2019/04/19/assault-victim-calls-for-pirates-to-release-suspended-minor-leaguer-ji-hwan-bae/

I post this in part to compare and contrast with the Trevor Bauer’s incident, which MLB has yet to announce an update since Trevor’s fully paid leave.

It will be interesting whether MLB will attempt to assess Trevor Bauer a significantly higher suspension, in part due the significant amount of salary they can attempt to confiscate.

15 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

It will be interesting whether MLB will attempt to assess Trevor Bauer a significantly higher suspension, in part due the significant amount of salary they can attempt to confiscate.

I expect them to suspend him for the entirety of 2022, for the Dodgers to attempt voiding his contract, and for him to never pitch for a MLB team again.

That’s the only outcome which is right… but then again… the only outcome which was right in 2019 was for the Blastros to has their “championship” be officially revoked.

8 hours ago, hi8is said:

I expect them to suspend him for the entirety of 2022, for the Dodgers to attempt voiding his contract, and for him to never pitch for a MLB team again.

That’s the only outcome which is right… but then again… the only outcome which was right in 2019 was for the Blastros to has their “championship” be officially revoked.

Never is a big word.  I agree with your first two predictions.

8 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Never is a big word.  I agree with your first two predictions.

I agree, but the allegations/actions coupled with his attitude should really make him nuclear hot and untouchable.  But there is always a team...

19 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I agree, but the allegations/actions coupled with his attitude should really make him nuclear hot and untouchable.  But there is always a team...

There is always going to be a label on him, and probably deservedly so, but if the texts his side released aren’t fake, the woman at least faked she was into what he was doing, which to me, gives him a career reprieve. 

If he plays again, he will be heckled. There will probably be protests and demonstrations. His teammates will probably not want to go near him. It will be a tough situation for all, but I agree with you, some team will take the chance. He is too good of a pitcher for everyone to ignore the rest.

11 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

There is always going to be a label on him, and probably deservedly so, but if the texts his side released aren’t fake, the woman at least faked she was into what he was doing, which to me, gives him a career reprieve. 

If he plays again, he will be heckled. There will probably be protests and demonstrations. His teammates will probably not want to go near him. It will be a tough situation for all, but I agree with you, some team will take the chance. He is too good of a pitcher for everyone to ignore the rest.

I think the fact that his teammates wanted him off the team this year speaks volumes.  But I definitely agree that there is a good chance someone will give him a shot because he can throw a ball

On 11/10/2021 at 3:30 PM, South Side Hit Men said:

Don't see how this is any different than any other year in baseball history. There always have been and always will be the "haves" and "have nots" in baseball based on the amount of money you have to spend. It's better now than it was from the 1920's to the early 60's when the Yankees just dominated everybody. Once the draft started Yankees couldn't just buy up all the talent from around the country.

On 11/13/2021 at 10:56 AM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Don't see how this is any different than any other year in baseball history. There always have been and always will be the "haves" and "have nots" in baseball based on the amount of money you have to spend. It's better now than it was from the 1920's to the early 60's when the Yankees just dominated everybody. Once the draft started Yankees couldn't just buy up all the talent from around the country.

I think the last few years Boras has come in and announced how many teams he sees as contenders right up front, so they start scrambling to talk to him.  Not sure how much that sort of gamesmanship really works but it's hard to question Boras at this point 

On 11/13/2021 at 7:26 AM, Dick Allen said:

I agree, but remember it looked really bad for Patrick Kane...and then it didn't at all when the accuser was caught evidence tampering. We'll eventually see what the courts decide.