southsider2k5

MLB 2021-2 off season thread

Blue Jays will be big spenders this offseason but curious if this means one of Semien or Ray is gone? They couldn’t possibly afford both. 🤔

Edited by maloney.adam

Honestly, if we could extend Lucas for something similar we should definitely explore it.  I get the years carry a lot of risk, but that’s a pretty reasonable AAV.

• Like 3

Just now, Sleepy Harold said:

One year deal is interesting given the QO and the fact he’s barely pitched over the last two years.  Would have expected a two year deal to make it worthwhile for the Angels.

Just now, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

This will be a good signing for someone.

I dunno man, that elbow still seems sketchy.  

11 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Honestly, if we could extend Lucas for something similar we should definitely explore it.  I get the years carry a lot of risk, but that’s a pretty reasonable AAV.

Agreed. I’d think Gio would command slightly more, but I can’t see the Sox going so long term for a pitcher contract. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Agreed. I’d think Gio would command slightly more, but I can’t see the Sox going so long term for a pitcher contract. 

Worth noting that the MLBPA proposed fewer years of team control in their publicly available ask. Giolito is a guy who could be impacted if that did happen in a final structure.

23 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Blue Jays will be big spenders this offseason but curious if this means one of Semien or Ray is gone? They couldn’t possibly afford both. 🤔

The Blue Jays have the second wealthiest owners in baseball after Cohen.

7 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

I imagine this bodes well for Rodon. Not the same situation, but similar high risk/high reward.

Man that is not the move I'd make if I was the angels.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

Man that is not the move I'd make if I was the angels.

It won't be their only move. Their offense is gonna be sick they just need to load up on pitching however they can get it. 

50 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

This will be a good signing for someone.

For Noah!   One year, giving up pick, 21 million. After significant injuries how many innings could you expect? 120-150?

5 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

That syndergaard deal is a gross overpay

Yeah but it's for one year. If he sucks or gets hurt you aren't stuck with him long term. I'd much rather give someone like him 1/21 than 3/40+

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Yeah but it's for one year. If he sucks or gets hurt you aren't stuck with him long term. I'd much rather give someone like him 1/21 than 3/40+

Id much rather not even bother unless theres a friendly club option for a second year. Berrios just got a lower avv than what syndergaard got. Mind blowing. The angels should be spending on better options instead of blowing their load on a pitcher that will be lucky to throw 90 innings next season.

Syndergaard was basically begging the mets for a qualifying offer.