MLB 2021-2 off season thread

southsider2k5

On 11/12/2021 at 6:53 AM, South Side Hit Men said:

The Pirates’ #27 Prospect, Ji-Hwan Bae was placed under a 30 game minor league suspension for his NYE 2017 Domestic Violence incident against his girlfriend in South Korea.

His victim (who was publicly known prior to today), Seul-GI Kim, has requested that the Pirates release Bae. Kim was awarded the US Equivalent of $1,755 last month in her civil lawsuit filed in South Korea, which she donated to a fund which helps victims of Domestic Violence. Bae was convicted in criminal court in 2018.

Bae, currently 19, was not a member of the Pirates at the time of the incident, signing two plus months after the incident, with a $1.2M signing bonus.

https://theathletic.com/932591/2019/04/19/assault-victim-calls-for-pirates-to-release-suspended-minor-leaguer-ji-hwan-bae/

I post this in part to compare and contrast with the Trevor Bauer’s incident, which MLB has yet to announce an update since Trevor’s fully paid leave.

It will be interesting whether MLB will attempt to assess Trevor Bauer a significantly higher suspension, in part due the significant amount of salary they can attempt to confiscate.

Am I reading this correctly that this happened when the kid was 15 or16?  (19 currently, happened NYE 2017 thus he was 15 at the time?????  

2 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Well, it's just one year. But that's a lot of money to sink into a guy who has thrown 2 innings in the past 2 years. Especially since the Angels have had a ton of issues with health on their pitching staff in the past. 

2 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Well, it's just one year. But that's a lot of money to sink into a guy who has thrown 2 innings in the past 2 years. Especially since the Angels have had a ton of issues with health on their pitching staff in the past. 

I don't understand it. Sure he's been amazing in the past but the Sox got Rodon for $3M and look what we got out of him. He provided a ton of extra value which is the main reason besides the draft pick I thought he should have got the QO.

Now of course the Sox have his medicals so not offering the QO could be because of that and the history of arm breaking down. I thought the Sox got as much as they could from him . But I also think had they been a little more careful with him and kept him at around 5-6 innings per start even when he was dominating and used the BP more he might've lasted longer .

I really hope when Kopech is used as a starter that they build him up to 5-6 innings and don't go beyond that no matter how good he is pitching in any one particular game.

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I don't understand it. Sure he's been amazing in the past but the Sox got Rodon for $3M and look what we got out of him. He provided a ton of extra value which is the main reason besides the draft pick I thought he should have got the QO.

Now of course the Sox have his medicals so not offering the QO could be because of that and the history of arm breaking down. I thought the Sox got as much as they could from him . But I also think had they been a little more careful with him and kept him at around 5-6 innings per start even when he was dominating and used the BP more he might've lasted longer .

I really hope when Kopech is used as a starter that they build him up to 5-6 innings and don't go beyond that no matter how good he is pitching in any one particular game.

My only worry would be that last season they started him on a throwing program and had to shut him down with elbow pain after 6 weeks.  To me that is a problem.  I don't believe Rodon had any similar issue like that, he was just put into some tough spots by Ricky immediately which made him look really bad.

thor could absolutely be healthy and ready to go, but from the outside I am just saying that it could be pretty risky for a team that really needs pitching 

7 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yeah if Thor got that much throwing 2 meh innings Rodon will get something better no doubt about it. 

36 minutes ago, chw42 said:

This is honestly the most Angels signing I've ever seen. That front office blows my mind. At least they spend money though.

I love how every other team that sees their window open is in full-spend mode... and then there's the White Sox.

3 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

This is not a terrible move. I would have though they would have went 1:1 but it really makes me question not tendering Rodon the Qualifying offer.  Looking at this market - someone would have given him a deal, heck the Angels might have just said fine, we'll sign two of these injured guys and see if we win the lottery to pair with Ohtani and Trout.  

Angels need pitching big-time but obviously risk here and giving up a pick on a one year deal isn't easy.  

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

This is not a terrible move. I would have though they would have went 1:1 but it really makes me question not tendering Rodon the Qualifying offer.  Looking at this market - someone would have given him a deal, heck the Angels might have just said fine, we'll sign two of these injured guys and see if we win the lottery to pair with Ohtani and Trout.   

Angels need pitching big-time but obviously risk here and giving up a pick on a one year deal isn't easy.  

The White Sox have no idea how other teams operate or what the value of their MLB guys are across the league. I think many are giving them the benefit of the doubt that Carlos "wasn't healthy and they'd know" but I don't understand giving this team the benefit of the doubt.

If Carlos signs a multi-year pack north of 30 million or a one year deal like Noah, the Sox will look like complete fools again because they were so scared they might have to pay a guy they decided to let him go without getting the draft pick in return. Pretty amazing honestly. Teams like the Jays are out there spending 100's of millions and the Sox are worried about paying one guy 18.5 million if (and it's a big if) he accepted their offer. SMH.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I'd be fine with paying him 21 million.  The only other issue is they had to give up a pick to do it.

Yeah - the pick is the only major downside. Otherwise it is a 1 year deal to see if he's healthy. He should have no excuses in terms of the actual arm injury but obviously the Angels need to be careful of his workload coming off of that injury.  But they need massive help in rotation and I presume they are maybe thinking of things as a - one year to see what we can do, otherwise we may need to hit the reset button and flip Trout/Ohtani/etc.  

31 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Because it worked so well the first time.....

They are very much like the 2010-2018 White Sox (pre Sale/Q trades).  They just keep trying...given their approach, it isn't awful but they should have ripped the bandaid a few years ago and hit a reset button. Moreno does many things well, but he has also been a huge detriment with his short term approach to all things Angels.  

I'm beginning to wonder if it's possible that a lot of these guys are going to sign early because they won't be able to negotiate during the lockout and if it goes on into the beginning of the season they'll be without contract for the entirety of that time and they'd rather know where they're going to play.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'm beginning to wonder if it's possible that a lot of these guys are going to sign early because they won't be able to negotiate during the lockout and if it goes on into the beginning of the season they'll be without contract for the entirety of that time and they'd rather know where they're going to play.

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The White Sox have no idea how other teams operate or what the value of their MLB guys are across the league. I think many are giving them the benefit of the doubt that Carlos "wasn't healthy and they'd know" but I don't understand giving this team the benefit of the doubt.

If Carlos signs a multi-year pack north of 30 million or a one year deal like Noah, the Sox will look like complete fools again because they were so scared they might have to pay a guy they decided to let him go without getting the draft pick in return. Pretty amazing honestly. Teams like the Jays are out there spending 100's of millions and the Sox are worried about paying one guy 18.5 million if (and it's a big if) he accepted their offer. SMH.

I'm with you 100% about not giving the Sox the benefit of the doubt. That being said, if Rodon signs the type of contract you suggest they may not look like complete fools if Rodon doesn't live up to the contract physically. Yes they don't get the draft pick but they just may have decided that taking the $18.4M gamble that he will remain physically sound was not worth the draft pick.

If the Sox fail to produce a championship the Kimbrel trade may go down as the turning point in the window that led to the downfall.

Unless the Sox can rid themselves of the Kimbrel and Keuchel contracts and then replace  Rodon and Keuchel in the starting rotation I have a hard time imagining the Sox being as good as they were this year.

I don't see Free Agency as the way the Sox will go , maybe with depth pieces but not any huge signing. I think we are going to see another trade that hurts be it Vaughn, Sheets or Eloy.

Madrigal and Heuer may not have been on too many peoples favorites list and quite a few think neither was anything special but Kimbrel's performance plus his prorated salary last year and his salary this year along with the inexpensive services of NM and CH and the unknown effects of how Reinsdorf approaches the new CBA, sure have thrown a monkey wrench into things and may have started a chain of events that greatly impacts the desired championship.

5 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Boy! That makes me want to give him a bunch of money!

Yeah, I wouldn't be real confident in him staying healthy if I'm an Angels fan. What kind of healthy pitcher rushes into a signing just so he might have a fallback plan in cases he fails his physical?