MLB 2021-2 off season thread

southsider2k5

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Unless the Sox can rid themselves of the Kimbrel and Keuchel contracts and then replace  Rodon and Keuchel in the starting rotation I have a hard time imagining the Sox being as good as they were this year.

I can see the White Sox being worse next year - but there's also an easy set of ways they could be better. Eloy has a "Tolerable, non-terrible year". Luis Robert doesn't have a catastrophic injury and continues developing. Kopech replaces the 130-ish innings they got out of Rodon with some level of effectiveness. Boom, even if some guys like Abreu, Grandal, and Lynn take a step back, that right there offsets it - entirely internally. 

35 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I can see the White Sox being worse next year - but there's also an easy set of ways they could be better. Eloy has a "Tolerable, non-terrible year". Luis Robert doesn't have a catastrophic injury and continues developing. Kopech replaces the 130-ish innings they got out of Rodon with some level of effectiveness. Boom, even if some guys like Abreu, Grandal, and Lynn take a step back, that right there offsets it - entirely internally. 

I thought of better healthier years to Eloy and Robert and Sheets being an .850ish OPS guy and getting intense instructions on playing the OF better. Some level of effectiveness from Kopech is a long way from giving what Rodon gave them. They missed having an ace in the playoffs and they need one to replace him. They are woefully short on pitching depth and not very good defensively.

If the Sox stand pat, which no one expects them to do, Soxtalk will sound like 1000 banshees. I know you aren't advocating they stand pat, but being as good as 2021 because of internal options is almost 100% not likely to occur.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony said:

I wonder if this sort of thing is a loophole that is going to be closed. Mets give him the QO but if he cant pass a physical for more money in November he has a payday to fall back on .

If have a hard time figuring out why a team can't get medicals or require passing a medical evaluation before they are signed. No one wants to sign damaged goods. This would apply to every player but especially players coming off a lot of lost time due to injuries like Noah , Verlander and even Rodon .

23 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I wonder if this sort of thing is a loophole that is going to be closed. Mets give him the QO but if he cant pass a physical for more money in November he has a payday to fall back on .

If have a hard time figuring out why a team can't get medicals or require passing a medical evaluation before they are signed. No one wants to sign damaged goods. This would apply to every player but especially players coming off a lot of lost time due to injuries like Noah , Verlander and even Rodon .

Doesn’t this already happen? You agree to a deal with a player but it’s usually always pending physical so not official until after that.

49 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I thought of better healthier years to Eloy and Robert and Sheets being an .850ish OPS guy and getting intense instructions on playing the OF better. Some level of effectiveness from Kopech is a long way from giving what Rodon gave them. They missed having an ace in the playoffs and they need one to replace him. They are woefully short on pitching depth and not very good defensively.

If the Sox stand pat, which no one expects them to do, Soxtalk will sound like 1000 banshees. I know you aren't advocating they stand pat, but being as good as 2021 because of internal options is almost 100% not likely to occur.

I think there is a compelling "roll it back" case to be made, but for me it included Rodon. Definitely need some supplements.

10 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Doesn’t this already happen? You agree to a deal with a player but it’s usually always pending physical so not official until after that.

The Owners have saved far more money collectively with this salary suppression scheme than any risk of paying an injured player. Sox fans saw first hand the detrimental impact on performance of Keuchel and Kimbrel from being three years removed (2018) from a normal season (2019 - FA Collusion; 2020 - Owner 102 game lockout), not to mention the over one year full salary lost by both players in 2019-2020.

For the good of the game, Qualifying Offers should be eliminated with the next CBA. Teams should be rewarded for attempting to win, not penalized with lost draft picks. The best players should be available on Opening Day. They should not be sitting around waiting for July 1, because owners rather keep a pick of a player they can pay far less than MV for six seasons.

2 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I think the cart is before the horse. You should pass a physical first then comes the contract offer. Why go through negotiations only to have that time wasted because you can't pass a physical. Physicals are usually just a formality but in a guy like Syndergaard's case I don't think so.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think the cart is before the horse. You should pass a physical first then comes the contract offer. Why go through negotiations only to have that time wasted because you can't pass a physical. Physicals are usually just a formality but in a guy like Syndergaard's case I don't think so.

Because you'd be a complete moron to let a team do a physical on you without a binding agreement.

1. Not all teams view physicals similarly and some have different requirements.

2. Why would you want a team you're not going to play for have your physical information?

1 hour ago, Whitewashed in '05 said:

Carlos Correa Poop is a potential target of the Yanks and he trashed Jeter? Haha, probably not a smart business decision to be that outspoken before getting signed. 

Welcome to posting on Soxtalk!

( Your post has been fixed. )

Edited by hi8is

5 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

I hope they get Correa, the Sox need some competition in the division

This is a bad take. Wishing for the rise of competition in the AL Central is a bad idea.  The more shots we have at the playoffs the more likely we are to go further.  The better the competition the more likely we are to watch the playoffs from a spectator standpoint instead of as a participant.

Edited by southsideirish71
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, southsideirish71 said:

This is a bad take. Wishing for the rise of competition in the AL Central is a bad idea.  The more shots we have at the playoffs the more likely we are to go further.  The better the competition the more likely we are to watch the playoffs from a spectator standpoint instead of as a participant.

It all depends on how sensitive you believe the front office and marketing department is to perceived threats to the White Sox hold on the AL Central...in reality, it might take the Tigers leading the White Sox by 3-5 games at the ASB next season.

52 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

It all depends on how sensitive you believe the front office and marketing department is to perceived threats to the White Sox hold on the AL Central...in reality, it might take the Tigers leading the White Sox by 3-5 games at the ASB next season.

Anyone who thinks we can catch Detroit is crazy”

- Jerry Reinsdorf, August 3, 2022