Jump to content
southsider2k5

MLB 2021-2 off season thread

Recommended Posts

I'm not saying sox are (lol) or that we should target Story. But, I really think adding just an average defensive 2b would be worse than adding a right handed 2b.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, soxfan3530 said:

It appears the most  optimistic/realistic offseason at this point would be the following:

- Graveman to boost the bullpen

- Kimbrel traded for a 2B like Segura and maybe a backup catcher/depth

- Signing Conforto to play RF

- A low-end starting pitcher for depth/insurance like Duffy, Smyly, Hill.

If that comes to fruition, are we considering that a successful offseason? Just curious to where everyone stands on this scenario. 

Probably a grade of C.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is anyone even linked to Story? It's tough to put him on a team. I would have thought Rangers if Seager stayed in LA. I would suggest a one year deal back to Colorado but man I don't think that is at all likely.

Dodgers maybe for SS with Turner sliding back to 2B now that Seager is not an option?

Edited by Bob Sacamano

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Snopek said:

It's funny to me that this whole time you're assuming I thought we were getting Scherzer and that I don't understand how budgets work, when I'm actually annoyed that we weren't in on Eduardo Escobar on Alex Wood, who I considered to be both realistic targets and players of note...hence the whole subjective comment.

This is mostly where I am at as well. Scherzer was never happening but Ray at his years/cost and a few others were not ludicrous or unreasonable. Just one really nice signing. Wheeler was the perfect example, and that sting just doesn't go away I guess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, fathom said:

Could you imagine if Conforto and Castellanos sign elsewhere in next 24 hours and then lockout occurs?  

It's easy if you try

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, chw42 said:

I don't have a problem with Segura, what I do have an issue with is them picking up Kimbrel's option just to trade it for an almost equal salary. You could have just bought him out for a million and signed somebody in free agency. Unless they're getting some prospects back in a deal like that, it really doesn't make a ton of sense. 

While I understand this, Segura's a 1 year salary, you are unlikely to find a 2.5/3WAR player to sign a 1 year.

And next year's second baseman include Frazier, Wong and Enrique Hernandez (and segura) who are all better fits than most of the 2b market was for the sox this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, soxfan3530 said:

It appears the most  optimistic/realistic offseason at this point would be the following:

- Graveman to boost the bullpen

- Kimbrel traded for a 2B like Segura and maybe a backup catcher/depth

- Signing Conforto to play RF

- A low-end starting pitcher for depth/insurance like Duffy, Smyly, Hill.

If that comes to fruition, are we considering that a successful offseason? Just curious to where everyone stands on this scenario. 

I think that would be a fantastic offseason.  I'd shoot for Archer on the last bullet, but I think that team wins the central easily and is a legit WS contender. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Probably a grade of C.

 

A "C" by what measure?  Because those moves would result in one of the best and most balanced rosters in baseball.  This is my problem with offseason talk.  Fans get so myopic and wrapped up in grading who had the splashiest offseason and forget that the name of the game is having the best baseball team overall.  It's the reason you can see people unironically say things like "it must be nice to be a Rangers fan..."  No, it's not.

Edited by 35thstreetswarm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bmags said:

While his offense is a weird fit, I wouldn't say adding a tremendous defensive middle infielder with plus overall offense doesn't fit our needs.

I mean, I'd take him.  I'd vastly prefer Conforto and a defense plus 2B to bat at bottom of order though.  Story is a good player that makes the Sox better, but he's also a reflection of this team's offensive issues.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, bmags said:

I'm not saying sox are (lol) or that we should target Story. But, I really think adding just an average defensive 2b would be worse than adding a right handed 2b.

Aaron Bummer would approve.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

A "C" by what measure?  Because those moves would result in one of the best and most balanced rosters in baseball.  This is my problem with offseason talk.  Fans get so myopic and wrapped up in grading who had the splashiest offseason and forget that the name of the game is having the best baseball team overall.  It's the reason you can see people unironically say things like "it must be nice to be a Rangers fan..."  No, it's not.

Pin this post. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

A "C" by what measure?  Because those moves would result in one of the best and most balanced rosters in baseball.  This is my problem with offseason talk.  Everyone gets so myopic and wrapped up on who had the splashiest offseason and loses sight of the fact that the name of the game is having the best baseball team overall.  It's the reason you can see people unironically say things like "it must be nice to be a Rangers fan..."  No, it's not.

Uhh no. Adding a single LHH doesn't create a balanced lineup. Grandal isn't really that great against RHP and something happened to Moncada's power. 

Adding one guy is necessary but not sufficient. Conforto plus another crap righty at 2nd and no meaningful replacement for Rodon isn't a good offseason. 

Conforto does keep it from being an F though.

Bring me lefty savages. Not one savage and a bunch of garbage half measures. 

Edited by SoCalChiSox
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, soxfan3530 said:

It appears the most  optimistic/realistic offseason at this point would be the following:

- Graveman to boost the bullpen

- Kimbrel traded for a 2B like Segura and maybe a backup catcher/depth

- Signing Conforto to play RF

- A low-end starting pitcher for depth/insurance like Duffy, Smyly, Hill.

If that comes to fruition, are we considering that a successful offseason? Just curious to where everyone stands on this scenario. 

This has to be at least a B.  Getting Conforto is huge and exactly what the team/offense needs. Got a great 2B/9 hole hitter.  Some work will need to be done at the deadline for SP/RP and that's fine.

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, soxfan3530 said:

It appears the most  optimistic/realistic offseason at this point would be the following:

- Graveman to boost the bullpen

- Kimbrel traded for a 2B like Segura and maybe a backup catcher/depth

- Signing Conforto to play RF

- A low-end starting pitcher for depth/insurance like Duffy, Smyly, Hill.

If that comes to fruition, are we considering that a successful offseason? Just curious to where everyone stands on this scenario. 

Yep. I do think they’ll make a trade for the rotation.

This has been my ideal with my Hail Mary being Gausman.

Think this is entirely realistic with the biggest question mark being Segura. With all the smoke and nothing to show that ship may be in the graveyard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ChiSox59 said:

I mean, I'd take him.  I'd vastly prefer Conforto and a defense plus 2B to bat at bottom of order though.  Story is a good player that makes the Sox better, but he's also a reflection of this team's offensive issues.  

One thing that is very frustrating to me about this crop of FA 2b is they are not very good defensively. Leury may very well be the best. 2b has been his worst position but he's been played there inconsistently.

It's a rough group.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

A "C" by what measure?  Because those moves would result in one of the best and most balanced rosters in baseball.  This is my problem with offseason talk.  Fans get so myopic and wrapped up in grading who had the splashiest offseason and forget that the name of the game is having the best baseball team overall.  It's the reason you can see people unironically say things like "it must be nice to be a Rangers fan..."  No, it's not.

He hath spoken!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Is anyone even linked to Story? It's tough to put him on a team. I would have thought Rangers if Seager stayed in LA. I would suggest a one year deal back to Colorado but man I don't think that is at all likely.

Dodgers maybe for SS with Turner sliding back to 2B now that Seager is not an option?

Why would Turner give way at SS when they can just play Lux at second?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

90 pages in and the Sox have only signed Graveman (if reports are true), other than that not even a strong Sox related rumour. Can we make it another 90 pages before the Sox actually sign or trade for someone?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Uhh no. Adding a single LHH doesn't create a balanced lineup. Grandal isn't really that great against RHP and something happened to Moncada's power. 

Adding one guy is necessary but not sufficient. Conforto plus another crap righty at 2nd and no meaningful replacement for Rodon isn't a good offseason. 

Conforto does keep it from being an F though.

Bring me lefty savages. Not one savage and a bunch of garbage half measures. 

He had a 150 wRC+ vs RHP last year.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

This has to be at least a B.  Getting Conforto is huge and exactly what the team/offense needs. Get a great 2B/9 hole hitter.  Some work will need to be done at the deadline for SP/RP and that's fine.

I feel like a lot of us are getting blinded by the big names signing with teams that are far inferior to our current roster, myself included. 

Conforto and Segura would probably make this the most complete lineup in baseball. As much as I'd like a big signing in the rotation, we currently have 5 bodies there and the only real concerns are how many innings Kopech can throw and if Keuchel has a pulse left. A depth signing there makes sense to give us some insurance for Kopech. 

If the proposed off-season is what the FO pulls off, I'll be content. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bmags said:

One thing that is very frustrating to me about this crop of FA 2b is they are not very good defensively. Leury may very well be the best. 2b has been his worst position but he's been played there inconsistently.

It's a rough group.

We keep asserting that 2B is so easy to fill, just like RF and DH, yet we keep throwing money at it like drunken sailors to no avail.

Edited by caulfield12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you liked Nick Madrigal, you will like Jean Segura.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

90 pages in and the Sox have only signed Graveman (if reports are true), other than that not even a strong Sox related rumour. Can we make it another 90 pages before the Sox actually sign or trade for someone?

Graveman was announced by the Sox today, FYI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Uhh no. Adding a single LHH doesn't create a balanced lineup. Grandal isn't really that great against RHP and something happened to Moncada's power. 

Adding one guy is necessary but not sufficient. Conforto plus another crap righty at 2nd and no meaningful replacement for Rodon isn't a good offseason. 

Conforto does keep it from being an F though.

Bring me lefty savages. Not one savage and a bunch of garbage half measures. 

They would literally have all-star talent at every position.  If that's not enough for you I truly don't know what to tell you.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, caulfield12 said:

We keep saying 2B is easy to fill, just like RF and DH, yet we keep throwing money at it like drunken sailors to no avail.

no we haven't except DH.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×