Lynn to start Game 1, Giolito Game 2

bmags

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, hope Lynn shoves; just hope this isn't some dumb LaRussa veteran angle where we trust the veteran to go twice in the series over Lucas. If it ends up that the series goes 5 and Lynn pitches twice over Giolito, that's not great managing.

It feels like it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

If the series doesn't go 5 games, it doesn't matter who starts game 1 and who starts game 2, but if the Sox lose Game 5 with Lynn starting I'm on record as thinking this is a bad decision.

Any game 5 would be all hands on deck. Lynn and then the entire bullpen if needed. 

15 minutes ago, KnightsOnMintSt said:

My thought process is that they would be willing to use Lance on short rest for Game 4 (if needed), and then you can use Lucas in Game 5 (if needed), on normal rest.

TLR specifically said this in his press conference.  Said Lynn is available for game 4 if needed.  

I think this is their preliminary plan, tbh.  

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

TLR specifically said this in his press conference.  Said Lynn is available for game 4 if needed.  

I think this is their preliminary plan, tbh.  

If so, it seems a little Ricky-ish to be deploying the emergency plan already.  Doesn't exactly project confidence to be loading practically the whole series on two starters at the beginning of the playoffs...before a game has even been played.  

TLR is living rent free in some people's heads.  Lynn back on short rest as a game 4 option is better then Giolito on short rest in game 4 and then Giolito has full rest in game 5. That is a better plan than who starts game 1 and game 2. 

Yet it is the the drunk clueless old manager pandering to the guy he managed 10 years ago that has had as good a season as Giolito.  Giolito is a veteran as well.  Pandering to a veteran would be pitching Dallas over Cease....which may happen then you can b**** about that and have a case. 

Some people act like Jim Parque is being handed the ball over Jack McDowell. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They set up the rotation last weekend like they did for a reason.  The only question was Lynn's knee.  Now that question has been answered.  

Yeah, with Lynn pitching last Friday and Giolito on Saturday, I sort of figured Lynn would get the nod for Game 1, though they obviously could have still flipped it and had Giolito pitch 5 days later.  

2 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

TLR is living rent free in some people's heads.  Lynn back on short rest as a game 4 option is better then Giolito on short rest in game 4 and then Giolito has full rest in game 5. That is a better plan than who starts game 1 and game 2. 

Yet it is the the drunk clueless old manager pandering to the guy he managed 10 years ago that has had as good a season as Giolito.  Giolito is a veteran as well.  Pandering to a veteran would be pitching Dallas over Cease....which may happen then you can b**** about that and have a case. 

Some people act like Jim Parque is being handed the ball over Jack McDowell. 

Why? Based on what?

1 minute ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

...or they're just chatting about strategic baseball decisions on a message board designed for that specific purpose

Exactly.  Lol that take is always so comical.  Like...we're a bunch of die hard fans anxiously awaiting the game in 24 hours... I guess we all must just say "WOW - what a great decision"  and "holy moly, that is exactly what I would do!", or "#TLR4LYFE". 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Lynn back on short rest as a game 4 option is better then Giolito on short rest in game 4 and then Giolito has full rest in game 5. 

Can you expand on what you feel that way?  Honestly curious.  

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Exactly.  Lol that take is always so comical.  Like...we're a bunch of die hard fans anxiously awaiting the game in 24 hours... I guess we all must just say "WOW - what a great decision"  and "holy moly, that is exactly what I would do!", or "#TLR4LYFE". 

Nah, it's cool to talk about the decision.  But to suggest TLR is "dumb" based on starting Lance Lynn is game 1 is typical of many on this board.

Just now, KrankinSox said:

Nah, it's cool to talk about the decision.  But to suggest TLR is "dumb" based on starting Lance Lynn is game 1 is typical of many on this board.

Sure, I guess.  Not the decision I would have made, but I didn't call it dumb.  Gio has simply been a better pitcher than Lynn for a few months.  Lynn's knee worries me.  Is Lynn a bad choice? Hell no.  Dude is a stud.  Just not sure we're going to get even the B+ version of Lance this October, based on what we've seen in recent weeks/months. 

1 minute ago, KrankinSox said:

Should everyone PM you their posts before making it going forward to assure that it is suitable and allowable? Don't want to offend you or your daddy LaRussa.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Should everyone PM you their posts before making it going forward to assure that it is suitable and allowable? Don't want to offend you or your daddy LaRussa.

No I'm all for free speech. I just like calling out the naysaysers who think they know more than TLR and suggest he's starting Lynn based on "some dumb veteran angle" rather than his knowledge of the game and doing what he thinks is best for the team.

Go get 'em, Lance.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KrankinSox said:

No I'm all for free speech. I just like calling out the naysaysers who think they know more than TLR and suggest he's starting Lynn based on "some dumb veteran angle" rather than his knowledge of the game and doing what he thinks is best for the team.

Go get 'em, Lance.

Check your PM's. I have a response I want to make.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Sure, I guess.  Not the decision I would have made, but I didn't call it dumb.  Gio has simply been a better pitcher than Lynn for a few months.  Lynn's knee worries me.  Is Lynn a bad choice? Hell no.  Dude is a stud.  Just not sure we're going to get even the B+ version of Lance this October, based on what we've seen in recent weeks/months. 

This is another way I look at it:

If I could lock in a win right now for either game 1 or game 2, and let the other one play out, I’d be locking in game 2. That’s why I want Lucas in game 2. He’ll also be facing a worse pitcher for Houston, so we just maximized the chances of winning one of the first two games. And since he can still pitch game 5 on full rest, it makes the decision easier.