ALDS Game 1- White Sox/Astros, 3:07 GAME THREAD

flavum

1 minute ago, Sox80 said:

I agree with that.  Problem is when you score 0 runs it does matter who starts. 

Yep, you put Gio out there, you still fail to hit/score, then game 2 goes to Mr. Anti-Performer in Houston, and its easily 2-0 HOU.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

Can I ask a stupid question. Baseball got rid of the neighborhood play..right? Cause I swear on Grandals double play Correa was not just physically on 2nd base when he caught the ball to turn the dp. 

I didn't get to see it cause FS1 decided to show a Geico commercial during it. 

• Like 1

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

Can I ask a stupid question. Baseball got rid of the neighborhood play..right? Cause I swear on Grandals double play Correa was not just physically on 2nd base when he caught the ball to turn the dp. 

Interesting, my TV glitched so didn't see it.  Crochet for another inning?  Also interesting.

3 minutes ago, chw42 said:

It's weird cause we didn't really strike out. We just didn't hit anything hard until this inning.

Robert getting the ball back to the infield too slowly in the first inning that cost a run sort of was a microcosm of this season. The Sox don’t do a lot of little things that are  important. Anyway, wish Madrigal was here battling.

2 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

But he didn’t help either, punting HFA and not starting Giolito.  Lynn has been terrible against the Astros which are the best fastball hitting team in the majors.

Considering we have no runs thru 7 innings if you are correct and Giolito does pitch well then it's a good thing he didn't go today.

Just now, fathom said:

all I know is if Menechino sticks around, he better work on launch angle with a bunch of these guys

He's the guy who said earlier in the year not to worry about not hitting home runs. If anything, he's probably the one preaching to these guys to hit it on the ground. 

Just now, fathom said:

all I know is if Menechino sticks around, he better work on launch angle with a bunch of these guys

I don't know what the Giants are doing with their hitters, but I want the Sox to get in on it. They had success stealing Katz from them, steal another one of their hitting coaches too

• Like 1

Just now, maxjusttyped said:

I don't see how this team will be able to lift the ball against Framber tomorrow. Hopefully he at least walks the yard, but on paper that doesn't look like a good matchup for this lineup

Framber is gonna look like Carson Fulmer in comparison to McCullers

In high school I played the #3 kid in state in singles tennis and got demolished. Almost won a game though! This was so our actual first singles player could face worse competition and make it farther. He still lost.

Moral of the story? The Sox better win tomorrow.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Say what you want, McCullers kicked ass today.

Please no “tip your cap”  Johan Santana type of excuses if we face him in Game 5. We’re not talking about unbeatable force here. Teams have scored off of him, if we can believe it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Robert getting the ball back to the infield too slowly in the first inning that cost a run sort of was a microcosm of this season. The Sox don’t do a lot of little things that are  important. Anyway, wish Madrigal was here battling.

Yeah cause he was so clutch in the postseason last year. 

• Like 1

This might've been why they went with Lynn in GM1 , like that is a realistic scenario tbh.  I would've went Ropech GM2 and Giolito GM1 but it looks like it would r have mattered who pitched today as these guys came totally unprepared to face this guy

2 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

That didn't really cost us a run since Meyers singled after anyways. I think the wild pitch in the third followed by a grounder to score the run is way more 2021 White Sox. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Really worried our strength on fastballs in hitting and pitching will be what holds us back in the playoffs

Remember how in 2015 Cubs got dominated by Mets pitchers and their velocity, and then went out and got Zobrist because he could hit velocity?  This feels like the Sox situation but the exact opposite

Just now, fathom said:

Remember how in 2015 Cubs got dominated by Mets pitchers and their velocity, and then went out and got Zobrist because he could hit velocity?  This feels like the Sox situation but the exact opposite

Gotta wonder what would have happened to the 2016 Cubs had the Mets won the WC game instead of SF.