SOX ALDS ROSTER

ChiSox59

4 minutes ago, kwill said:

What's crazy is when you think of headlining trades back to do this rebuild its the Sale, Quintana and Eaton trades. 

All of the headline players played apart in this team: 

Sale: Moncada, Kopech

Quintana: Eloy and Cease

Eaton: Giolito, Lopez with Dunning being traded for Lynn. 

Holy Shit did the White Sox do good on those trades. 

For the flip side, go look at what the Marlins got in their tear down:

https://www.fishstripes.com/2019/7/8/20682936/marlins-rebuild-trades-update-christian-yelich-giancarlo-stanton-contract

15 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Think small ball as the reason Mendick was added to the playoff roster.  He can get the bunt down when needed and provides back-up at SS-2B.

Who exactly is Mendick pinch hitting for to lay down a bunt?  I am not going to get worked up about Mendick making the roster, but the only way he sees any time is due to an in game injury to 2 infielders.  

19 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

The White Sox are not pinch hitting for anyone in this series so the bench will not be used.

Leury will start in right today so they needed an infielder.

I think Rodon will get game three and if he is not 100% Keuchel will replace him in this series thus an option in game 4 or 5 if needed. 

Keuchel isn't making a start in the ALDS regardless of situation.  And Cease is going to get game 3 IMO.  I think Lynn goes game 4 and Giolito game 5, unless Sox have a 2-0 lead and then I could see them going Carlos in game 3 and Cease game 4.  But still don't see Keuchel making his way onto this roster, even if Carlos is ineffective and they replace him on roster thereafter. 

Edited by ChiSox59

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Who exactly is Mendick pinch hitting for to lay down a bunt?  I am not going to get worked up about Mendick making the roster, but the only way he sees any time is due to an in game injury to 2 infielders.  

You'll have to see as the games play out, but I believe he will be used in the late innings of a tie game and asked to lay down a bunt.  Just a theory as to why he made the line-up as I'm no Mendick fan.

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I just don’t  understand how Mendicjk wasn't good enough to be on the 28 man roster at the end of the season, but is good enough when it drops to 26. No big deal really, but odd.

Yeah, I think the long view though is they gave Romy a shot and he was fine but they went with a more known quantity esp. with defense. 

Mendick is more likely than Romy to walk or make contact of some kind. Romy much more likely to hit with some power. That's attractive off bench but they aren't on the margins.

35 minutes ago, WookiesOnRitalin said:

His pitching quality (or lack thereof) is not in contention. 

The fact that the club is paying him 18 million dollars is the shocking reason. Your highest paid pitcher is sitting for the playoffs. A guy you went out and spent $55 million on is not going to contribute to your playoff run. 

Nice work FO. 

His salary is a sunk cost.  It's gone.

He's not on the roster because there's no scenario where you'd want him on the mound.  He didn't make the cut as a starter and he's not better than any of our reliever options.  

1 minute ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

But Goodwin can hit rightness which Hernandez can not. Would have liked to see Leury, Sheets, and Goodwin all in the lineup today. Hernandez as the backup IF.

That .587 OPS in the second half says he's not hitting righties much either. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Anyways it’s a good roster!!! Kuechel didn’t deserve a spot. Next year he’s got to have a comeback year.

I assume this was your form of sarcasm and you cant seriously think this will happen. Unless Keuchel spends a ton of time in the off season developing new pitches that are faster and most importantly, have more movement, he isn't going to have a good year next year either. 

1 minute ago, maloney.adam said:

Lineup for today:

SS Garcia

2nd Hernandez

1st Grandal 

DH Sheets

LF Vaughn

CF Hamilton

RF Engel 

3rd Mendick

C Collins

The sky is falling! Lol

this is fake right? Why do this to us

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

I assume this was your form of sarcasm and you cant seriously think this will happen. Unless Keuchel spends a ton of time in the off season developing new pitches that are faster and most importantly, have more movement, he isn't going to have a good year next year either. 

And yet he got on a roll in 2020 that completely surprised me.

What no Yermin Mercedes?!?!?!

In all seriousness I'm glad Dallas was left off this round's roster. Probably some hurt feelings but this is the playoffs and you gotta have the best players with the highest chance at winning. I am a bit surprised with Mendick making the roster though. Figured it'd be Goodwin but I realize Mendick is more defensively versatile.