SOX ALDS ROSTER

ChiSox59

Just now, WilliamTell said:

What no Yermin Mercedes?!?!?!

In all seriousness I'm glad Dallas was left off this round's roster. Probably some hurt feelings but this is the playoffs and you gotta have the best players with the highest chance at winning. I am a bit surprised with Mendick making the roster though. Figured it'd be Goodwin but I realize Mendick is more defensively versatile. 

I find it a little difficult to see how Ruiz gives the White Sox a higher chance of winning than Keuchel, to be honest. Neither one of them should be in a situation where the game is on the line, but Keuchel could be useful for multiple innings in a way Ruiz can't.

• Haha 1

Just now, Buehrle>Wood said:

Really just a poor September when he was banged up. .840 OPS in July and August vs Righties (vs in the .500s for Hernandez) but if he's not in game shape it is a non starter.

isn't he still banged up thou?

42 minutes ago, WookiesOnRitalin said:

His pitching quality (or lack thereof) is not in contention. 

The fact that the club is paying him 18 million dollars is the shocking reason. Your highest paid pitcher is sitting for the playoffs. A guy you went out and spent $55 million on is not going to contribute to your playoff run. 

Nice work FO. 

Not only is he our worst pitcher by far. Of the pitchers on the ALDS roster he is the only one who has given up more hits than innings pitched. His Whip at 1.53 is horrific. 

The way Kuechel puts men on base, he could never be used to bring in to close out a jam with men on. He would need to always start a fresh inning. However then he would put men on and then we would need to bring in another pitcher to clean up his mess. Having Kuechel on the roster would be the definition of insanity! 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Billy Hamilton should not be starting a playoff game. Sheesh

Billy's only role should be pinch running for Eloy in the 8th or 9th, and/or coming in for defense in the 8th if Eloy just hit, or the 9th otherwise.  That is legitimately it.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I find it a little difficult to see how Ruiz gives the White Sox a higher chance of winning than Keuchel, to be honest. Neither one of them should be in a situation where the game is on the line, but Keuchel could be useful for multiple innings in a way Ruiz can't.

I think Ruiz can be used in a scenario where the Sox are up or down by 5+ runs. I'm not sure Keuchel can be used in a scenario where the Sox are up though.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

I am certain Ruiz could give up 3-4 runs over multiple innings as well.

They've stretched Kopech out recently, and in this series I doubt cease plays. Obviously some 15 inning game could happen but a 3rd long man who hasn't shown he can get people out in short or long stints doesn't seem much better than Ruiz, who with clean innings has just as much potential for a 2 inning stint.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Ruiz can get a K, Keuchel can get you innings.  

2 minutes ago, WilliamTell said:

I personally want to see Robert at the 2 hole. He has the hot hand and it's been working up in the lineup.

I'm just assuming we'll stagger our lefties. if it were me I'd do

Anderson
Moncada
Robert
Grandal
Abreu
Sheets
Jimenez
Engel
Garcia

14 minutes ago, kwill said:

I wonder if Goodwin traveled with the team in case Jose could not have made the series with his illness. 

Nah.  They weren't going to leave Goodwin at home.  He's a part of this team and deserves to be a part of everything for the playoffs. But they 100% made the right decision leaving him off the roster - hopefully one they would have made even if he didn't spend the last week on the regular season on the IL. 

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I am certain Ruiz could give up 3-4 runs over multiple innings as well.

They've stretched Kopech out recently, and in this series I doubt cease plays. Obviously some 15 inning game could happen but a 3rd long man who hasn't shown he can get people out in short or long stints doesn't seem much better than Ruiz, who with clean innings has just as much potential for a 2 inning stint.

Cease? 

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

I'm like 99% this is what we'll get

Anderson ss
Moncada 3b
Abreu 1b
Grandal C
Robert CF
Jimenez LF
Sheets DH
Engel RF
Garcia 2b

Robert has been batting second and needs to stay there. Robert at second is why he is crushing it and seeing good pitches.

Btw, why does TLR always have to drag his feet putting the lineup out. Houston has their lineup posted. 

1 minute ago, Harry Chappas said:

Cease? 

I meant to say in this series I doubt Cease starts  so between Kopech and Cease we have 2 non-starting long men. Keuchel seems like a lot there just for the edge long ass game.

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Billy's only role should be pinch running for Eloy in the 8th or 9th, and/or coming in for defense in the 8th if Eloy just hit, or the 9th otherwise.  That is legitimately it.  

Totally agree! Having said that, what a waste of a roster spot just for late inning defense or pinch running. 

1 minute ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Robert has been batting second and needs to stay there. Robert at second is why he is crushing it and seeing good pitches.

Btw, why does TLR always have to drag his feet putting the lineup out. Houston has their lineup posted. 

I'd be lenient today, they may be waiting until last minute to make call on Jose.

52 minutes ago, WookiesOnRitalin said:

His pitching quality (or lack thereof) is not in contention. 

The fact that the club is paying him 18 million dollars is the shocking reason. Your highest paid pitcher is sitting for the playoffs. A guy you went out and spent $55 million on is not going to contribute to your playoff run. 

Nice work FO. 

The only thing worse than making a mistake, is compounding that mistake by refusing to admit you were wrong.

• Fire 1

Just now, The Kids Can Play said:

Totally agree! Having said that, what a waste of a roster spot just for late inning defense or pinch running. 

I mean, late and close, is there a more valuable player than a reliable defender and a guy who stretch a single/walk into a triple via SB?

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I meant to say in this series I doubt Cease starts  so between Kopech and Cease we have 2 non-starting long men. Keuchel seems like a lot there just for the edge long ass game.

You don't think Cease gets a start in game 3? What? Why???

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

I'm like 99% this is what we'll get

Anderson ss
Moncada 3b
Abreu 1b
Grandal C
Robert CF
Jimenez LF
Sheets DH
Engel RF
Garcia 2b

Flip Moncada and Robert in the order, put Cesar at 2B and Leury in in RF and that is my guess. 

I don't think they'll want Engel playing back to back games and there is a lefty on the mound tomorrow.  Engel gets RF tomorrow.  Whoever has better game between Leury and Cesar today gets the nod at 2B tomorrow.