SOX ALDS ROSTER

ChiSox59

Just now, The Kids Can Play said:

Totally agree! Having said that, what a waste of a roster spot just for late inning defense or pinch running. 

Players like Hamilton have more value than ever in the playoffs, look at what Terrance Gore can do.

Feels like every time Hamilton can get on base he scores.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

There's zero situations where this team needs a K that Ruiz should be an option. 

Also Ruiz is also more comfortable in the pen.  I agree that neither is good option and Keuchel could be useful if the game goes 12+ innings.  

Lopez also makes Keuchel useless as he can go 3+ innings. 

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

I am certain Ruiz could give up 3-4 runs over multiple innings as well.

They've stretched Kopech out recently, and in this series I doubt cease plays. Obviously some 15 inning game could happen but a 3rd long man who hasn't shown he can get people out in short or long stints doesn't seem much better than Ruiz, who with clean innings has just as much potential for a 2 inning stint.

You really think they give Carlos game 3 over Cease?  I think game 3 is Dylan's unless Sox are up 2-0 and can afford to roll the dice on Carlos' shoulder. 

1 minute ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

Why give Houston's pitching staff any extra time to develop a plan of attack?

I'm pretty sure by now on game day with a few hours to go, the McCullers and Maldonado have a good idea of how they were planning on attacking our hitter regardless of the specific lineup order or players used. As Lynn already said yesterday, he has spent many hours watching film on the Astros hitters in his preparation. 

3 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Totally agree! Having said that, what a waste of a roster spot just for late inning defense or pinch running. 

Billy Hamilton is somewhere in the middle of Jarrod Dyson and Terrance Gore. The Royals used to have both of them on their playoff roster. You never know when you might need a stolen base.

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

You really think they give Carlos game 3 over Cease?  I think game 3 is Dylan's unless Sox are up 2-0 and can afford to roll the dice on Carlos' shoulder. 

I mean, regardless, if Cease is 3 then the point stands that you have Carlos and Kopech as two multiple inning relievers who can effectively get batters out. Ruiz can get people out in an inning. Keuchel can pitch innings ineffectively...so the only time he'd be somewhat of a help is an insanely long game, but even then isn't he just losing us it and ending it anyway?

5 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Disagree on that.  Billy has game changing speed.  We've seen it plenty this season.  Eloy also shouldn't be in LF at all, but since the Sox seem married to that for now, Billy 100% has a role and it definitely isn't a waste of roster spot. 

2 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Also Ruiz is also more comfortable in the pen.  I agree that neither is good option and Keuchel could be useful if the game goes 12+ innings.  

It's fun discussing this stuff but we're seriously focusing on the 12th and 13th arms on this team. Hopefully we wouldn't need to see either one of them.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So you seriously think they're going to go Lynn, Giolito, Rodon, Lynn, Giolito? My word I would hate that, so I guess that's probably what they'll do.

Yes, first playoff team in history to shorten their rotation.

• Fire 1

3 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Agreed. With Lopez, Kopech, Hendricks and Ruiz all being comfortable as multi innings relievers I don't see the worry about where the innings where come from. Maybe add Cease to that too.

Just now, WilliamTell said:

It's fun discussing this stuff but we're seriously focusing on the 12th and 13th arms on this team. Hopefully we wouldn't need to see either one of them.

I remain terrified that Ruiz will be LaRussa's first person up in the pen today.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

Players like Hamilton have more value than ever in the playoffs, look at what Terrance Gore can do.

Feels like every time Hamilton can get on base he scores.

Yeah, this is EXACTLY why you carry Billy Hamilton on your roster.  He has a skill that he does better than just about anyone in MLB.  If you use him right, he gives you some big advantages.  No you don't start him, or pinch hit him, but pinch running ahd late D replacement is big pluses.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Nah.  They weren't going to leave Goodwin at home.  He's a part of this team and deserves to be a part of everything for the playoffs. But they 100% made the right decision leaving him off the roster - hopefully one they would have made even if he didn't spend the last week on the regular season on the IL. 

I am glad Goodwin is off the roster.  His defense does not belong in the playoffs, and he has not been hitting well lately.  Also prevents TLR to use him.

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

And I am going to put it out there, with as stark as Dallas's 1st half (4.25 era/1.377 WHIP) and 2nd half were (6.82ERA/1.763 WHIP), you are probably either talking an injury, or the sticky stuff to see that big of a switch.

I never really thought of him as a benefactor of sticky stuff since his spin rates were never good. He could have been one of those guys who used it to get finer control. His spin rates did decrease by about 40-50 RPM right around the time of enforcement and it's gone back up slowly over the past few months. But the results have gotten worse as time went on. Hopefully he tries some new stuff to figure it out over the winter, because I don't think it's because of an injury. 

This pre-emptively getting mad at TLR for decisions he won't make is fun. Playoffs are fun.

TLR was horrible in the first half, and other managers are better, but I'm thankful he was able to guide this team into the playoffs with a remarkably healthy team that is well rested and playing good ball. He was able to manage Lynn's knee and Rodon's shoulder so we have both. Kopech is here in the playoffs. Crochet is here.

And now they are going to be going 110%. No more management. No more holding back.

• Like 3

I'd trust Ruiz over Kuechel if we need an inning somewhere.

If we need a couple innings in a game that's still winnable, and Lopez and Kopech have already been used (say deep extra innings), we'd probably just roll with one of the other starters anyway before ever going to Kuechel.