ALDS Game 2 - Chicago @ Houston - 1:07pm CDT

Heads22

1 minute ago, TheTruth05 said:

Why would anybody be excited if Hahn goes and TLR stays. Seems like worst case scenario

No cause while Hahn fucked up royally at the deadline by getting Kimbrel instead of a RFer, TLR is still gonna allow us to be badly behind the times in terms of analytics. We hit about the same amount of grounders up the middle as the Astros today and we ended up giving up hits on it every time cause our positioning put us nowhere near where the ball was hit. Meanwhile the Astros made numerous plays on the ones we hit. 

• Like 1

None of us have any idea how Kopech would have performed today. He may have been worse than Crochet, but we knew how Crochet would most likely perform.  Only 3 back to backs all year, and horrible on the back end 3 times. How the hell do you go to him in that situation?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Just a wasted development year 

We needed to win 2nd game today.  We needed to play like it was a game 5, and bring out our best weapons, and that is Kopech.  Now we will need to win 3 games in a row including a game 5 at Houston.  All those punted games and over resting our stars would be a horrible strategy if we only play 3 games.

9 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

I could have sworn that everyone was in agreement about Kopech backing up Rodon in the series?  What changed?

Blame Ace #1 and Ace #2 who were fully incompetent in going long for their starts.

"Stars" need to perform on this stage.  It's plain and simple.

Well there is this concept of adjusting when the moment requires it.  Hence the word Manage in Manager.  This is a first to 3 wins the series.  Not a hey I wonder how game 4 is going to play out.  We might not get to game 4.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I'm pretty depressed over this shit. Pretty much the entire season was just a waste.

Not yet. Think of how exciting it'll be (weather permitting) for pre-game before Game Three baby!

3 minutes ago, chw42 said:

No cause while Hahn fucked up royally at the deadline by getting Kimbrel instead of a RFer, TLR is still gonna allow us to be badly behind the times in terms of analytics. We hit about the same amount of grounders up the middle as the Astros today and we ended up giving up hits on it every time cause our positioning put us nowhere near where the ball was hit. Meanwhile the Astros made numerous plays on the ones we hit. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2014/11/18/ed-lewis-a-former-veterinarian-is-the-diamondbacks-new-director-of-analytics/19229543/

Tony can hire more Puppy Doctors to help us.  

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I'm pretty depressed over this shit. Pretty much the entire season was just a waste.

Well at least we won't accept "we're resting our guys for October" next year. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, hankchifan said:

We needed to win 2nd game today.  We needed to play like it was a game 5, and bring out our best weapons, and that is Kopech.  Now we will need to win 3 games in a row including a game 5 at Houston.  All those punted games and over resting our stars would be a horrible strategy if we only play 3 games.

i agree with the Kopech talk by the way. Let's face it ... we don't know everything. My uneducated guess is something's goin on. Is he hurt? is something off? 

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Not yet. Think of how exciting it'll be (weather permitting) for pre-game before Game Three baby!

I honestly don't even have a lot of interest in watching. I've already been disgusted, angered, saddened enough. Go Sox, but that's just where I'm at. TLR's comments post game are some of the dumbest shit I've ever heard from a Sox manager and that is saying a lot. Not only is he not the right man going forward, he's been the wrong guy the entire time. This series explains that perfectly clear now.

And I don't want to just blame TLR either. The player's play the manager manages. THE PLAYERS HAVE BEEN DOGSHIT.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

No it wasn't. People mistakenly talked themselves into thinking the team from the second half was gonna just morph into a post season threat. The writing was on the wall. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chw42 said:

That is a bit humorous to say the least especially when the TV announcers said that the Six were doing what the analytics told them to do. Obviously Houston made adjustments or our scouting and such was wrong 

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I honestly don't even have a lot of interest in watching. I've already been disgusted, angered, saddened enough. Go Sox, but that's just where I'm at. TLR's comments post game are some of the dumbest shit I've ever heard from a Sox manager and that is saying a lot. Not only is he not the right man going forward, he's been the wrong guy the entire time. This series explains that perfectly clear now.

And I don't want to just blame TLR either. The player's play the manager manages. THE PLAYERS HAVE BEEN DOGSHIT.

Yeah I need some time to digest Tony's comments. They may get a lot of play and could be construed as him being at odds with Hahn or construed as him ripping Kimbrel. This is all possible. Chicago media is pretty calm now compared to the days of Verdi and Mariotti. But you 'could' be right. Tony's comments might wind up being a big deal and the team could lay down in Game Three. I guess that's possible. I'll stick to the scenario of our fans saving the day and getting this baby tied at 2.

1 minute ago, elrockinMT said:

That is a bit humorous to say the least especially when the TV announcers said that the Six were doing what the analytics told them to do. Obviously Houston made adjustments or our scouting and such was wrong 

Not playing a lefty pull hitter like Alvarez up the middle is not what the analytics say. 

• Like 1

JFC can someone please account for what RF that Hahn would have acquired would have won game 1? Or today’s game? pitching lost us both games. 

The Sox have a chance to win two games at home - where they play much much better btw - and if they do that anyone can win one game. 

Edited by Greg Hibbard
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Just now, fathom said:

What I don’t get is they had a huge shift on for him in the second inning and then no shift later 

Probably cause they were looking for a double play. I'm not sure why you need to play double play depth there though. You can still get 2 if you play up the middle.

28 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Hang on Slewpy. You bring Kopech into the game at that point because Lucas had been walking guys and getting hit hard and Kopech was the only one in the pen capable of pitching multiple innings  since the Sox had to cover 5 innings if Kopech was brought in to start the 5th inning.

There was no reason to go to Crochet because he pitched yesterday and he has not shown this season to be capable of going in back to back games.

This 2nd game had to be treated like a must win game. The team that goes up 2-0 in a 5 game series wins 88% of the time.

Lucas sucked but the Sox were ahead 4-2. If Kopech starts the 5th and pitched 2 shutout inning maybe things are different.

I agree there.  Wholeheartedly think lucas is the softest pitcher in the world.  So in conclusion, Larussa missed his opportunity to make the correct change and therefore he probably did start the decline with that decision.   

10 minutes ago, greg775 said:

i agree with the Kopech talk by the way. Let's face it ... we don't know everything. My uneducated guess is something's goin on. Is he hurt? is something off? 

I was surprised we didn’t see Kopech.  Even if we’re counting on him for several innings in Games 3 or 4, with the day off tomorrow, I’m not sure why he couldn’t pitch an inning today.  
The biggest mistake was leaving Giolito in as long as he did, even if you’re going to bring in Crochet.  One base runner max in the 5th and he should have been pulled.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Greg Hibbard said:

JFC can someone please account for what RF that Hahn would have acquired would have won game 1? Or today’s game? pitching lost us both games. 

The Sox have a chance to win two games at home - where they play much much better btw - and if they do that anyone can win one game. 

No, bad management lost game 2. Pretending otherwise is delusional.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Greg Hibbard said:

How are we supposed to tell you exactly how they would do?  What I do know is what happened the first two games here with RF and it was a disaster.  Yesterday’s game was a loss no matter what, but improved lineup and defense in RF could easily win you that game. I’m sure they could have got Marte for Madrigal and Heuer.  Unfortunately, the dumbass front office wanted to save playing time for Engel, Goodwin and Garcia.  

Just now, fathom said:

How are we supposed to tell you exactly how they would do?  What I do know is what happened the first two games here with RF and it was a disaster.  Yesterday’s game was a loss no matter what, but improved lineup and defense in RF could easily win you that game. I’m sure they could have got Marte for Madrigal and Heuer.  Unfortunately, the dumbass front office wanted to save playing time for Engel, Goodwin and Garcia.  

Pretty sure Heuer would have easily gotten you Marte.