ALDS Game 2 - Chicago @ Houston - 1:07pm CDT

Heads22

6 minutes ago, almagest said:

If Giolito goes 5+ IP 2 ER we're probably not having this meltdown. A lot rests on his shoulders for sure. We're not gonna win without solid starting pitching.

That said, this ended up being one of those margin games where a manager can make a difference, and LaRussa failed.

I have mentioned it so many times but I still can’t get over his Crochet usage. It’s a fireable offense.The guy would go for a week and a half and not pitch during the season. I forgot he was on the active roster more than once. When he went to bring him in, the first thing I did was go to his game logs to see if he pitched back to back days this season. I was guessing no, but he had and he was bad each time. 

And it wasn’t like he was lights out yesterday.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Another thing I’ve noticed that none of the breaks are going our way. That’s not a good sign that it’s our year. That ball that Grandal smoked and should’ve been over the head of Tucker was caught. If that went over his head, the momentum may have been in our favor. Same with the two hits that were robbed by Altuve. If all those were hits, we may have been talking about a win instead of a lost. You just never know.

You make your own breaks.  For example, their RF made a great catch on Grandal’s ball, ours got all turned around and cost us a few runs.  Not sure which play was more difficult but they were seemingly pretty similar and almost the difference in the game right there.  And all the hits they robbed were in part due to good positioning by them to give them a chance.  

Edited by bighurt574

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I have mentioned it so many times but I still can’t get over his Crochet usage. It’s a fireable offense.The guy would go for a week and a half and not pitch during the season. I forgot he was on the active roster more than once. When he went to bring him in, the first thing I did was go to his game logs to see if he pitched back to back days this season. I was guessing no, but he had and he was bad each time. 

I was in the middle of a presentation that convinced my 2 bosses/advisors that we have enough to put together a brief paper to submit to Nature (big deal for a scientist), I had Gameday open on my phone, and I silently said “oh boy here it is I knew it wouldn’t take long for a baffling bullpen move” to myself before he even gave up the hit. It took no focus at all to realize he had blown it.

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

How about Crochet then not throwing 3-2 slider to Yordan after having huge swings on the fastball

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I was in the middle of a presentation that convinced my 2 bosses/advisors that we have enough to put together a brief paper to submit to Nature (big deal for a scientist), I had Gameday open on my phone, and I silently said “oh boy here it is I knew it wouldn’t take long for a baffling bullpen move” to myself before he even gave up the hit. It took no focus at all to realize he had blown it.

It would have been one thing if he was prepared to pitch back to back and he screwed up. But it was anything but. Only 3 times this season, all with horrid results. Why would today be different? 

I guess the only bright side if the Sox are quickly eliminated and they only play 1 or 2 home playoff games, is my season tickets for next year will be basically paid in full.

Just now, Dick Allen said:

It would have been one thing if he was prepared to pitch back to back and he screwed up. But it was anything but. Only 3 times this season, all with horrid results. Why would today be different? 

I guess the only bright side if the Sox are quickly eliminated and they only play 1 or 2 home playoff games, is my season tickets for next year will be basically paid in full.

Also I assume yesterday’s outing for Crochet was one of his longest of the year?

2 minutes ago, bighurt574 said:

I wonder if they’re planning on starting Kopech in Game 4 (if we get there).  That’s really the only way not using him today makes any sense.  (And even then he probably still could have gone an inning.)

First 3 innings of a possible game 4 were so so so so so much less valuable than 2 on and 1 out with a 4-2 lead into the bottom of the 5th a few hours ago. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

First 3 innings of a possible game 4 were so so so so so much less valuable than 2 on and 1 out with a 4-2 lead into the bottom of the 5th a few hours ago. 

No doubt.

Just trying to understand the (crappy) thought process.  That’s all I can come up with.  Though I wouldn’t think pitching a few outs on Friday would preclude 2-3 innings on Monday anyway.  

Just now, bighurt574 said:

No doubt.

Just trying to understand the (crappy) thought process.  That’s all I can come up with.  Though I wouldn’t think pitching a few outs on Friday would preclude 2-3 innings on Monday anyway.  

Yeah. It’s probably cuz Rodon is going Sunday and they want to save Kopech for a short start. But Kopech still could have pitched an inning today and pitched Sunday too. Just terrible all around. 

2 hours ago, hankchifan said:

As we cannot get rid of the whole team, TLR needs to go.  The buck stops with him, and he must be held accountable for totally mismanaging all the resources and weapons provided.  In a normal private sector business,he would have been let go already.

As you say, we can't get rid of the whole team but Hahn assembled the whole team not TLR. So in the private sector Hahn would have been let go and a new GM hired.  Now if the new GM has the final say on a manager, which Hahn didn't have, them maybe Hahn's replacement would get rid of TLR. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

As you say, we can't get rid of the whole team but Hahn assembled the whole team not TLR. So in the private sector Hahn would have been let go and a new GM hired.  Now if the new GM has the final say on a manager, which Hahn didn't have, them maybe Hahn's replacement would get rid of TLR. 

Do you really think JR and KW are going to go for something like that?
p.s. Aren't the Sox in the 'private sector'?

Edited by FoxForce2

7 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Hahn would be let go in the private sector for leading his company to back to back successful years for the first time in its history while set up for long term success? I call BS. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, almagest said:

If Giolito goes 5+ IP 2 ER we're probably not having this meltdown.

That's the problem.  That could have been his final line if he hadn't been left in to walk the second batter.  I lost my shit when, after the first walk, they showed a shot of a couple of vacant bullpen mounds.  Gio was struggling, probably shouldn't have even come out for the 5th, but AT MINIMUM someone should have been warm to come in as soon as he allowed a baserunner.  Instead, Tony hung him and Crochet out to dry.

Which, of course, led to a tie game.  Engel was ONLY pitch hit for because it was a tie game and Tony, in his opinion, thought batting Engel against a righty was essentially giving away an out.  He brought in Hernandez as the PH who has been an absolute disaster at the plate since coming over.  He sacrificed defense to give Hernandez that AB.  Of course, that shitheaded decision cost the Sox AT LEAST two runs on Leury's bad RF play but also allowed for Tucker to come up and go yard against Kimbrel instead of Crochet or Bummer.

That entire disaster of a game can be traced directly back to the bottom of the 5th.  

Seriously, up 2, bottom 5.  Kopech stretched out to go 3.  We lost 9-4.  Unreal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, FoxForce2 said:

Do you really think JR and KW are going to go for something like that?
p.s. Aren't the Sox in the 'private sector'?

No they will not. JR is probably very happy his team made the playoffs and attendance is up. I am sure the bottom line looks real good.  If TLR wants to come back ,  JR will decide not Hahn. 

5 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

No they will not. JR is probably very happy his team made the playoffs and attendance is up. I am sure the bottom line looks real good.  If TLR wants to come back ,  JR will decide not Hahn. 

You think he’s gonna be happy refunding all those playoff tickets? Me thinks not.