ALDS Game 2 - Chicago @ Houston - 1:07pm CDT

Heads22

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I have mentioned it so many times but I still can’t get over his Crochet usage. It’s a fireable offense.The guy would go for a week and a half and not pitch during the season. I forgot he was on the active roster more than once. When he went to bring him in, the first thing I did was go to his game logs to see if he pitched back to back days this season. I was guessing no, but he had and he was bad each time. 

And it wasn’t like he was lights out yesterday.

I found it strange that Crochet not Bummer was the first lefty in. Now maybe the match-up( i.e Alvarez) dictated Crochet despite his back-back issues.  But Bummer was the gas can that Kimbrel  eventually blew up. 

6 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

I found it strange that Crochet not Bummer was the first lefty in. Now maybe the match-up( i.e Alvarez) dictated Crochet despite his back-back issues.  But Bummer was the gas can that Kimbrel  eventually blew up. 

It’s kinda strange that Crochet even pitched at all yesterday.

3 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I don't think Lucas is soft. Watch the other playoff games and see how early some of the starting pitchers are being pulled. Seems like an equal amount of guys don't go 5 inning as do go 5+ . It's a tough road to hoe pitching against Houston in Houston. Even Lucas at his worst hung in there . But LaRussa should ve had Kopech warming in the 4th and if he was going to let Gio start the 5th he should've been out of the game after the lead off walk.

I asked the question in the game thread who should be pitching the 5th as did another poster and only 1 guy wanted to answer that question . He said let Gio start the 5th and pull him if he let's anyone get on .  I told him I think I agree but would've been fine with Kopech starting the inning. I'm also pretty sure I was the only one in the game thread who mentioned Kopech so everything you're seeing now about not using him is hindsight by everyone except me.

Lucas loses his shit when anything goes wrong.  He's a f'n pansy.  I have no problem with letting him start the fifth as he was skirting around batters somewhat  effectively to that point.  Still too many walks. The team gave him the lead twice and he wouldn't or couldn't challenge batters in the zone.  Manager decisions are a coinflip.  If Lucas does his job in the fifth all of this could be a mute point.  I'm just not going to jump on the this is Larussa's fault bandwagon.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, almagest said:

I'm concerned the problems are more organizational than managerial. Dusty Baker is basically LaRussa with 0 world series rings as a manager, but the Astros are clearly better coached and put in a position to succeed. Either LaRussa runs the whole show or the team isn't up to par with the Astros, Dodgers, and Rays.

Grandal .ooo after 2 games.  Grandal, Eloy, Moncada 1-11 today doesn't include another 2-10 from 7,8,9 batters   They have to be better.

2 hours ago, bighurt574 said:

You make your own breaks.  For example, their RF made a great catch on Grandal’s ball, ours got all turned around and cost us a few runs.  Not sure which play was more difficult but they were seemingly pretty similar and almost the difference in the game right there.  And all the hits they robbed were in part due to good positioning by them to give them a chance.  

Ours was easier or a routine play. I have no idea what Garcia was doing out there tbh. All he needed to do was turn his body towards the infield or at an angle like Tucker did and he would’ve caught the ball but he looked like a wounded duck out there. Lol

Edited by maloney.adam

3 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I hope you're right, but this year put a really sour taste in my mouth. His approach has just been disastrous at the plate.

Hey guys, Eloy didn’t lose us the game today.  We have bigger issues such as TLR mismanaging the bullpen and leaving Giolito in too long, bringing in Crochet, and not bringing in Kopech who is  a shut down pitcher.  Leury in RF and all those walks also hurt us.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I have mentioned it so many times but I still can’t get over his Crochet usage. It’s a fireable offense.The guy would go for a week and a half and not pitch during the season. I forgot he was on the active roster more than once. When he went to bring him in, the first thing I did was go to his game logs to see if he pitched back to back days this season. I was guessing no, but he had and he was bad each time. 

Agree. Is managerial malpractice byTLR.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

First 3 innings of a possible game 4 were so so so so so much less valuable than 2 on and 1 out with a 4-2 lead into the bottom of the 5th a few hours ago. 

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

That looks like the 10th most pitches he threw in an outing this year.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

That looks like the 10th most pitches he threw in an outing this year.

You are absolutely right.  There may not even be a game 4.  We may not even see our second most dominating pitcher, Kopech, in the series at all. That’s TLR incompetence for you.  I would have liked to see Kopech pitching in Houston. He is from Texas.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

Hey guys, Eloy didn’t lose us the game today.  We have bigger issues such as TLR mismanaging the bullpen and leaving Giolito in too long, bringing in Crochet, and not bringing in Kopech who is  a shut down pitcher.  Leury in RF and all those walks also hurt us.

At the end of the day I guarantee Tony has formed some opinions of this team.  Earlier in the year Lucas had a mound visit and then proceeded to blow up and try to put tony under the bus.  Look at the job the bullpen did all year(nothing special).  His playoff roster has Garcia, a bad version of my favorite rookie(Vaughn) and Engle in the starting lineup.  I dont put it past Tony to expose the flaws that are all being discussed here so that mgt is forced to make some better off-season moves.  While I was truly hoping for a long playoff run, I cannot honestly say that THIS team was ready to give us one.  I'm not mad or upset at all as this team is in a position to succeed for many years to come.  We have flaws and they need to be addressed for the Sox to be real contenders.  

Just now, fathom said:

The more time passes, I can’t be the only one getting more frustrated by all the awful managerial moves.  That was honestly the worst managed Sox game I’ve seen.  

This might not have been the worst managed Sox game since September started. No way it’s the worst one this year. It just mattered more.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Balta1701 said:

This might not have been the worst managed Sox game since September started. No way it’s the worst one this year. It just mattered more.

Bad pitching decisions, bad positioning, and bad PH decision is the trifecta.  It’s hard to make as many moves as he did and not have one go right.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

You are absolutely right.  There may not even be a game 4.  We may not even see our second most dominating pitcher, Kopech, in the series at all. That’s TLR incompetence for you.  I would have liked to see Kopech pitching in Houston. He is from Texas.

Well get him for some worthless innings if we’re losing late Sunday: 

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

It is an even worse decision with having to face three batters, which included right handed hitter Gurriel, the AL batting champ.  In the old days Crochet could have only faced one batter which would have minimized the damage. Couldn’t any of the other coaches on the bench mentioned to TLR that bringing in Crochet was a mistake?

• Haha 1

I just…..I’m so disappointed. So many missed opportunities and blown decisions. TLR is in charge…but Is Katz on board with these pitching moves? If us informed fans can analyze the stats - how come the HOF’er and pitching geek not?  Just sad, really. Ripped a paycheck or two in AlCS tix and it isn’t even gonna happen. Damn shame. 

4 hours ago, BigHurt3515 said:

While walking with the kids this evening I thought to myself; well isn't this what I kind of expected after how we have been playing for about 2 months? Literally nothing has changed just because it is the playoffs now. LaRussa is still making weird decisions, the starting pitching isn't being efficient, the bullpen is blowing games, and the offense is still awful with RISP.

Instead of trying to figure out the best position for our players to be in and trying to get home field La Russa was too busy trying to rest people as much as possible. Why did we not try Kimbrel in the closer role for a couple of weeks and see if anything changed? Why did we not try to shift more and see if it helped us? Or putting our bullpen guys in the best position every game to see how they should be used in the playoffs? We settled and this coaching staff let them settle. 

Maybe TLR needed some rest so he figured the other guys needed it too.  Those guys are paid millions to be on the field, not grabbing some bench.

• Haha 1