Jump to content
Heads22

ALDS Game 2 - Chicago @ Houston - 1:07pm CDT

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

See Adames, the rare mistake by TB, along with selling too soon on Cronenworth.

Clearing a spot for Franco was not a mistake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, maloney.adam said:

Another thing I’ve noticed that none of the breaks are going there way. That’s not a good sign that it’s our year. That ball that Grandal smoked and should’ve been over the head of Tucker was caught. If that went over his head, the momentum may have been in our favor. Same with the two huts that were robbed by Altuve. If all those were hits, we may have been talking about a win instead of a lost. You just never know.

Amazing what happens when a guy takes a couple steps in the right direction before a play. It’s almost as if it’s a strategy rather than luck.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, YourWhatHurts said:

96 and 96, on 0-1 and 0-2.  2 fastballs in a row.  I watched this shit last season.  This is what Abreu did when it counted last season vs. the A's and now he's doing it again.  He choked and there's no way around it.  A Vaughn/Sheets platoon at a discount can give you this, and maybe you can take his salary and buy a guy who won't choke in return.

Good to know the ABs when we weren't down by 5 were the ones that didn't count, but one the one in the 9th when the game was over did count.  Brilliant.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While walking with the kids this evening I thought to myself; well isn't this what I kind of expected after how we have been playing for about 2 months? Literally nothing has changed just because it is the playoffs now. LaRussa is still making weird decisions, the starting pitching isn't being efficient, the bullpen is blowing games, and the offense is still awful with RISP.

Instead of trying to figure out the best position for our players to be in and trying to get home field La Russa was too busy trying to rest people as much as possible. Why did we not try Kimbrel in the closer role for a couple of weeks and see if anything changed? Why did we not try to shift more and see if it helped us? Or putting our bullpen guys in the best position every game to see how they should be used in the playoffs? We settled and this coaching staff let them settle. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Quin said:

These TLR quotes are so much worse than anything he's done all season.

It's exactly like Ricky, minus everything Ricky did right, but "Hall of Fame person" tinted.

It's not really, this is probably the first time he didn't get friendly media questioning about it, so it sounds worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Another thing I’ve noticed that none of the breaks are going there way. That’s not a good sign that it’s our year. That ball that Grandal smoked and should’ve been over the head of Tucker was caught. If that went over his head, the momentum may have been in our favor. Same with the two huts that were robbed by Altuve. If all those were hits, we may have been talking about a win instead of a lost. You just never know.

Until the 7th we had about 18 chances to break the game open or to simply win the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

It is much worse than renteria. 

So much worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BigHurt3515 said:

While walking with the kids this evening I thought to myself; well isn't this what I kind of expected after how we have been playing for about 2 months? Literally nothing has changed just because it is the playoffs now. LaRussa is still making weird decisions, the starting pitching isn't being efficient, the bullpen is blowing games, and the offense is still awful with RISP.

Instead of trying to figure out the best position for our players to be in and trying to get home field La Russa was too busy trying to rest people as much as possible. Why did we not try Kimbrel in the closer role for a couple of weeks and see if anything changed? Why did we not try to shift more and see if it helped us? Or putting our bullpen guys in the best position every game to see how they should be used in the playoffs? We settled and this coaching staff let them settle. 

Yes, being right here is to the letter what some of us have been warning about all year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

When a team walks 9 guys in a god damn playoff game they don't deserve to win.  Fucking pitch better.

Amen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Dusty isn't putting together positional cards. I've been harping on the White Sox defensive alignments all year. They're atrocious. They're one of the three worst teams in baseball in runs lost to positioning. The Sox aren't a terrible defensive team (they do throw the ball around too much), they're simply not positioned properly and metrics are against things like xBA. LaRussa has screwed them there, all season. His explanation for the defensive positioning today was comical. Look at the charts, the Sox went against what everyone else did multiple times. They're stuck in the stone age because their manager is a complete moron.

And honestly, I like Hahn for some things but I'm not excusing him for this. He knows it's bad, I guarantee it, and he doesn't have the balls to push and override the horrible decision making defensively.

I'd be fine if TLR was a figurehead like Dusty seems to be, but this team was way better at defensive positioning last year. The main difference is LaRussa.

I don't think Hahn has any control on this one, nor does Kenny. This was all JR. Not that it excuses anything (especially the Kimbrel trade), but it's really looking like they were set back a TON with this move.

Then again, if we had a competent right fielder and second baseman we might be in a completely different spot, so. I'd be fine if both Hahn and LaRussa were gone.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

30+ million combined for a closer who won’t pitch and a “set up guy” who doesn’t set up. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, almagest said:

I'd be fine if TLR was a figurehead like Dusty seems to be, but this team was way better at defensive positioning last year. The main difference is LaRussa.

I don't think Hahn has any control on this one, nor does Kenny. This was all JR. Not that it excuses anything (especially the Kimbrel trade), but it's really looking like they were set back a TON with this move.

Then again, if we had a competent right fielder and second baseman we might be in a completely different spot, so. I'd be fine if both Hahn and LaRussa were gone.

I mean it’s always been obvious Hahn had nothing to do with the TLR decision. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

When a team walks 9 guys in a god damn playoff game they don't deserve to win.  Fucking pitch better.

Oh look, Harold pretending LaRussa did nothing wrong again. Weird to see.

  • Like 1
  • Fire 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

When a team walks 9 guys in a god damn playoff game they don't deserve to win.  Fucking pitch better.

You can’t possibly complain about the pitching staff. They’re well rested, it’s fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ShoeLessRob said:

30+ million combined for a closer who won’t pitch and a “set up guy” who doesn’t set up. 

Half a Chris Sale for a guy being saved for game 6.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Did any press ask LaRussa why he pinch hit for Engle in the 5th? That was the first “what the fuck is he doing” moment of many today for me.

That happened in the 7th, after he didn't have anyone up in the pen to start the 5th and Houston tied the game. And then he brought in Crochet rather than Kopech, so two WFT moments before then imo. And maybe more, I don't recall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ChiSox59 said:

I mean it’s always been obvious Hahn had nothing to do with the TLR decision. 

I know, I was just responding to the idea that Hahn could've done something about the hire. There's just no way unless he quit his job, which he would never do (I probably wouldn't either - wait until you get an offer at least).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Half a Chris Sale for a guy being saved for game 6.

Chris Sale tonight 1 IP 5 runs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Oh look, Harold pretending LaRussa did nothing wrong again. Weird to see.

Tony fucked up plenty, especially with Crochet, but it wasn’t his fault Gio walked so many and Bummer and Kimbrel sucked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Tony fucked up plenty, especially with Crochet, but it wasn’t his fault Gio walked so many and Bummer and Kimbrel sucked.

Actually it’s his fault Leury almost got hit in the head on Correa’s liner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Chris Sale tonight 1 IP 5 runs.

At least he pitched.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Giolito goes 5+ IP 2 ER we're probably not having this meltdown. A lot rests on his shoulders for sure. We're not gonna win without solid starting pitching.

That said, this ended up being one of those margin games where a manager can make a difference, and LaRussa failed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×