Madrigal

loidwalden

Maybe Nick Madrigal becomes a good player but he was not a good player when the White Sox traded him. He was an average 2nd Baseman. He played average defender, very few steals, and no power with an exceptional contact skill. That does even account for the 2 major surgeries in two years. 

Maybe he becomes a great player but I just have a hard time seeing it. 

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Just sad. All of the posters who clamor for guys who have the physical skills but lack the ballplayer instincts make me sick. When you watch the Astros, you see guys like Altuve who just know how to play the game. Guy is 5'6 and weighs 166 lbs according to baseball reference. Yet, all of you people who marginalized Madrigal who was of similar physical stature were so happy to dump him. Makes me sick to my stomach just thinking of his contact rate, batting average, solid glove, and baseball instincts and knowing he was deemed expendable. You need guys like Madrigal more than you need guys like Moncada.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, YouGottaBeBleepingMe said:

Just sad. All of the posters who clamor for guys who have the physical skills but lack the ballplayer instincts make me sick. When you watch the Astros, you see guys like Altuve who just know how to play the game. Guy is 5'6 and weighs 166 lbs according to baseball reference. Yet, all of you people who marginalized Madrigal who was of similar physical stature were so happy to dump him. Makes me sick to my stomach just thinking of his contact rate, batting average, solid glove, and baseball instincts and knowing he was deemed expendable. You need guys like Madrigal more than you need guys like Moncada.

The only things Altuve and Madrigal have in common are position and not being tall enough to ride Space Mountain.  Altuve is leaps and bounds better than Madrigal. I think the best thing to ever happen for Madrigal is get traded, as everyone has seemingly forgot how frustrating his mistakes were.  His instincts on the field sucked

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, ShoeLessRob said:

Not mad they traded Madrigal, made they traded him for Kimbrel. One of the worst veteran acquisitions I’ve seen. 

It’s like the Tatis trade.  I’m not mad they traded him as that was just bad luck him turning into a star. The real issue was trading for a washed-up Shields. Same is true about trading for a life long closer and trying to make him something he’s not.

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

It’s like the Tatis trade.  I’m not mad they traded him as that was just bad luck him turning into a star. The real issue was trading for a washed-up Shields. Same is true about trading for a life long closer and trying to make him something he’s not.

Agreed.  People seem to forget Madrigal has had some serious injuries and appears to be a tool.

19 minutes ago, fathom said:

The only things Altuve and Madrigal have in common are position and not being tall enough to ride Space Mountain.  Altuve is leaps and bounds better than Madrigal. I think the best thing to ever happen for Madrigal is get traded, as everyone has seemingly forgot how frustrating his mistakes were.  His instincts on the field sucked

That's what I don't get about all of the Madrigal love is he made some bad plays on the base paths, didn't steal, and by all accounts was an average fielder. Again he could develop to be a good player but there was nothing beyond where he was picked in the draft and contact rate that made him great. 

I remember when Robert and Madrigal were both in the system and people would put Madrigal ahead of him. I always thought on what planet- the tools are not even close to being the same. 

Moncada is one of the best defensive 3rd basemen in the league but he routinely gets bashed on this board. I do not get it. 

Edited by kwill

38 minutes ago, YouGottaBeBleepingMe said:

Scouting report aside, we wasted an asset. 2 assets

• Like 1