Madrigal

loidwalden

16 minutes ago, wegner said:

Sox pick up option...trade Hendriks for a haul....slide the future hall of famer Kimbrel into the only role he's comfortable with. 😎

Or... trade him back to the Cubs... eat half his salary... and get Heuer back.
would the Brewers or Cards want him? Cincy?

Edited by FoxForce2
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Teams are going to line up for Kimbrel this off season.  They're smart enough not to let a 2 month sample size affect their evaluation on a player of Kimbrel's caliber.  Plus when they really dig in and understand just how horribly the Sox have handled his situation they'll be even more in on him. 

Kimbrel for Ohtani. Who says no?

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Teams are going to line up for Kimbrel this off season.  They're smart enough not to let a 2 month sample size affect their evaluation on a player of Kimbrel's caliber.  Plus when they really dig in and understand just how horribly the Sox have handled his situation they'll be even more in on him. 

No they are not. He was close to pitching himself out of baseball last year......

Edited by Chisoxmb35

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Are you delusional? Definitely not at $16 million.

Edited by manbearpuig

43 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

NL talent just doesn't work for the Sox.  It doesn't. There is no paper to prove otherwise but it takes eyes to see.

The Carlos Quentin says hello...

First White Sox version of Adam Eaton

Jim Thome was fine coming over from Philly, although more an AL player, same with AJ (from SFG)

Guys like DeAza from the Marlins' scrap heap

Scotty Pods in 2005

4 hours ago, wegner said:

Epic fail since I'm sure they expected they'd get something in return for Kimbrel in the offseason or next trade deadline.  But you've got to accept the option to do that.

Kimbrel (and Keuchel) are just out of gas at this point, not having pitched a regular slate since 2018 (between the Owner FA Collusion in 2019 and Owner Lockout in 2020). Both should bounce back somewhat in 2022. That said, Kimbrel was already gassed at the Trade Deadline (36.2 IP, or two outs MORE than the previous two years combined) and Hahn did not take this into account.

If Hahn picks up his option, you once again are restricting for a third straight season addressing legitimate holes in 2B and RF that just aren't going away with more cheap FAs. This path has resulted in Mazara (-0.1 bWAR) Eaton (0.0 bWAR, -0.7 bWAR w/ Angels), and Cesar (-0.8) as your acquired starters. They could have had Brantley for $8M more, instead they sign Eaton because previous acquisitions tied their hands, and Hahn is just too impatient in the off-season, settling for garbage early when there are many good and cheaper options if you wait until January/February.

This shit is just too funny not to share. 

I honestly cannot believe people think the solution for 6 era kimbrel was to replace the best closer in baseball with him. You can't fix this level of idiocy. 

This narrative that kimbrel can't get people out or throw strikes because it's not the ninth inning is one of the dumbest things I've read this year. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Thanks 1

The real simple solution is don’t acquire someone who won’t be comfortable in the role you plan for him to have.  It sounds ridiculous, but let’s not pretend he’s the first person who went from closer to set-up man who struggled for one reason or another.

17 minutes ago, fathom said:

The real simple solution is don’t acquire someone who won’t be comfortable in the role you plan for him to have.  It sounds ridiculous, but let’s not pretend he’s the first person who went from closer to set-up man who struggled for one reason or another.

It sounds ridiculous because it is. Kimbrel can go pound sand if the reason his ERA has jumped 5 runs(!!!) is because he’s been mostly pitching the 8th instead of the 9th. Are you kidding? He’s been coming into games in arguably bigger situations than closing a game…if he can’t get mentally prepared for that, that’s totally on him. 

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

It sounds ridiculous because it is. Kimbrel can go pound sand if the reason his ERA has jumped 5 runs(!!!) is because he’s been mostly pitching the 8th instead of the 9th. Are you kidding? He’s been coming into games in arguably bigger situations than closing a game…if he can’t get mentally prepared for that, that’s totally on him. 

You’re not going to get me to defend him not being a mental head case in his Sox tenure. It was obvious from the get-go something was wrong with him as his velocity dropped.  It also sounds like he’s been very vocal behind the scenes about his disappointment in his role here and the Sox not letting him close like they said they would.  It’s just a giant clusterfuck and a horrible transaction.  Hearing Tony make the excuse today was the icing on the cake.  I will say he had been better of late and has gotten no help from his defense here.

7 minutes ago, Tony said:

Eh, I don’t think you project what you think-a player *should* be able to do when making an acquisition. You get him for what he has proven he can do. Doing the former is asking for trouble. Thats on Hahn, not Kimbrel. If you do cowboy trades like that, you don’t give up a major asset that’s for sure.

4 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Eh, I don’t think you project what you think-a player *should* be able to do when making an acquisition. You get him for what he has proven he can do. Doing the former is asking for trouble. Thats on Hahn, not Kimbrel. If you do cowboy trades like that, you don’t give up a major asset that’s for sure.

Jesus, they aren’t asking him to play second base. It’s pure insanity the lengths people will go to attack the front office and not the guy on the field. I’ve been a giant defender of the Kimbrel trade, but the guy simply hasn’t performed, at really any point since the acquisition. Because Kimbrel can’t wrap his head around pitching in any other inning but the 9th, this is all on Rick Hahn, and NOT the guy that has been below replacement level since being traded from a team located 7 miles away? That’s pure insanity. 

Craig Kimbrel’s job is to retire hitters. Rick Hahn’s job is to make this team better. He went out and acquired the best reliever on the market (and I’ll argue Nick Madrigal is NOT a major asset.) I’m sorry, but I’m not blaming Hahn for Kimbrel being an absolute trash bag.

• Like 2

I still would love to know why Kimbrel’s velocity dropped from 97.5 to 95.8 from May to September. I’m not referencing the Sox necessarily, as it looks like his velocity was starting to dip near the deadline.  If Katz is stressing command over velocity for the relievers, it sure didn’t work this year besides Hendriks.

Yeah can't blame Hahn or Tony for not using Kimbrel in the 9th, their closer was clearly going to remain Hendricks, especially after Kimbrel struggled. Kimbrel knew he needed to pitch before the 9th, he just needed to get outs like a 16 million dollar man who also cost a former top100 prospect 

1 hour ago, Unknown said:

Kimbrel + Moncada for Devers

Hahaha…it’s Comedy Central time around here.

Not even sure they’d even consider it with Vaughn or Kopech included.

Kimbrel has little trade value at this point…that $16 million price tag is too risky.

Edited by caulfield12