Madrigal

loidwalden

17 hours ago, WBWSF said:

I would think that the White Sox won't pickup Kimbrels option. They also won't pickup Ceasars option. That being said, who will be the second baseman for the White Sox in 2022?

It would be stupid to just let Kimbrel walk after dealing Heuer and Madrigal, it would be better to hold onto him and try and trade him, eating some of the contract and getting something in return. Or let him stay in the pen. This would all be done based on the idea that they would spend and improve with Kimbrel.

8 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The irony is the move was bad BECAUSE the process was bad. Investing that much capital in a set up man, when you already had a dominant closer, was asinine given the holes on the roster in RF and 2B. 

The capital was lost as soon as they drafted Madrigal 1/4. It was a huge overdraft. 

• Haha 3

If Kimbrels contract stops you from signing Semien and/or Marte, you let him walk and resign Tepera for cheaper as well. 

I was a fan of the trade because when Kimbrel is right, he's absolutely dominant and that can help you a ton in the playoffs. Turns out he sucks, what new for the White Sox acquiring a Hall of Famer to bolster the team who ends up sucking (Manny Ramirez, Ken Griffey Jr, TLR, now Kimbrel). 

As for Madrigal, get Semien and none of it matters because he is a far better player than Madrigal. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, South Sider said:

If Kimbrels contract stops you from signing Semien and/or Marte, you let him walk and resign Tepera for cheaper as well. 

I was a fan of the trade because when Kimbrel is right, he's absolutely dominant and that can help you a ton in the playoffs. Turns out he sucks, what new for the White Sox acquiring a Hall of Famer to bolster the team who ends up sucking (Manny Ramirez, Ken Griffey Jr, TLR, now Kimbrel). 

As for Madrigal, get Semien and none of it matters because he is a far better player than Madrigal. 

I would agree with this as long as they would make these acquisitions.

19 minutes ago, South Sider said:

They absolutely should get Semien, Story, Baez or Chris Taylor (depending on who they can convince to play 2B). My concern is they'll be "too expensive" for the Sox and they'll end up with a second tier option who won't perform and we'll be in the same spot we are now.

6 hours ago, poppysox said:

For the most part, I agree with you...but Eloy & Cease are the exceptions to the rule.

They didn't really play in the NL.  It's veterans that never really pan out.  I'm sure fans will ooh and aah over some NL guy Hahn will get and they will not be productive until maybe August. 

44 minutes ago, South Sider said:

It turns out that when you acquire HOF'ers when they're 150 years old, they're not actually as good as they were when they were in their prime. Who knew?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

He has 17 xbh in his career. He's a slap hitter. His 162 avg is 4 HR's and 25 doubles. It's too early to tell obviously, but I'm not too worried about Madrigal being anything more than serviceable over his career. That's not even taking into account he's coming off a severe hamstring tear. 

774 OPS in his rookie season. I see you conveniently left out his triples, he was on pace for over 10 by the way.

2 hours ago, The Beast said:

Hopefully people acknowledge that Madrigal isn’t great and that he is replaceable. I’m more upset about the team control than losing Madrigal. Heuer is replaceable too. But hindsight is so easy for people to criticize Hahn for the move. I’m just mad that Kimbrel looks lost out there and looks like a scrub when he pitches as opposed to how dominant he looked.

People need to stop saying "in hindsight", because it's bullshit. There were a lot of people (myself included) who were against this trade from the moment it happened. It's not hindsight if one thought it was a bad move from the beginning. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, The Beast said:

It would be stupid to just let Kimbrel walk after dealing Heuer and Madrigal, it would be better to hold onto him and try and trade him, eating some of the contract and getting something in return. Or let him stay in the pen. This would all be done based on the idea that they would spend and improve with Kimbrel.

If they bring back Kimbrel his option would be $16 million.If they let him walk theres a $1 million buyout.

17 minutes ago, Chisoxmb35 said:

People need to stop saying "in hindsight", because it's bullshit. There were a lot of people (myself included) who were against this trade from the moment it happened. It's not hindsight if one thought it was a bad move from the beginning. 

It’s not bullshit. You can still look back at a trade and look at it in hindsight. Just like when people looked back at the La Russa hire, there were detractors and posters who had a throbbing time piece over it.

4 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

I didn't conviently leave them off. I didn't think the 4 triples he's hit in his entire career were all that relevant. 

Thats ridiculous, he did that in 200ish atbats this season. My god thats stupid of you

Edited by reiks12
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Sadly...I have no doubt you are correct. 

The only benefit in my mind is that this years crop of infielders from FA is massive. Get one of them and I’ll move on a bit more easily.

Just sucks we couldn’t have had an affordable solution in house still and focus on spending for the rotation.

Edited by hi8is

2 minutes ago, hi8is said:

The only benefit in my mind is that this years crop of infielders from FA is massive. Get one of them and I’ll move on a bit more easily.

Just sucks we couldn’t have an affordable solution in house still and focus on spending for the rotation.

The question is whether they’re actually willing to go over $10 million per year on a FA contract, let alone $15 million.

Kimbrel has to go.  Hahn should just admit he was wrong, use that money (as well as moving on from Hernandez’s commitment) for RF, 2B, catcher, bullpen or backend veteran starter depth.

Trading Vaughn or Eloy at depressed values makes less sense than trying to find takers for Sheets or Burger.  Wish we could move on from Leury, but that’s a pipe dream.

And yeah, the rule of Cubs/Sox moves is usually they are completely one-sided, like Bell/Sosa, Garland/Karchner, Q/Cease/Eloy and this one as well.  Not counting Tepera was a significant trade.