ALDS Game 3 - HOU @ CWS - 7:07pm CDT

14 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

So is the consensus, LaRussa lost this series for us? 

Not the ineptitude of the two Aces in Lynn and Giollito?   Or an entire pitching staff being scared to throw strikes?   Or an offense who has failed to slugg a single x-tra base hit?  Or that maybe the Astros are really damn good at baseball? 

All the above

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Those situations almost never happen.  That's why it's called ... wait for it ... "lightning in a bottle."

Yes they are.

I'm not sure what your issue is.  You're talking about the Giants giving you hope.  WTF?  You're delusional.

The Sox spent the vast majority of the 2010's running out Giants-like teams, relying on wrong-side-of-30's former All-Star veterans, spot-patched with hopeful overachiever types on make-good deals and MiLB contracts.  This worked so well that they had to finally undergo a full scale rebuild.  

But sure let's pine for the days of bringing in the likes of Mat Latos, Ervin Santana, Jimmy Rollins, etc. or do our version of trading for Evan Longoria where we bring in a guy whose best years are behind him hoping that he can still be a quality player.

Reality is, the SF Giants are a team composed of a bunch of moves that the previous GM got fired for and the current GM largely didn't make or wouldn't have made.  And the spot patching is likely simply a result of a combination of a mandate from ownership to at least half-heartedly try plus an attempt to load up on veteran mid-season trade chips.  

Tommy Pham seems like a perfect example of a player we bring in 1-2 years too late because he's much more affordable and has that Cardinals connection. 

Unfortunately, we need Wong a lot more.

1 hour ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Not the ineptitude of the two Aces in Lynn and Giollito?   Or an entire pitching staff being scared to throw strikes?   Or an offense who has failed to slugg a single x-tra base hit?  Or that maybe the Astros are really damn good at baseball? 

I think how a manager moves the pieces can make a big difference. In a “must” win game, kopech and hendriks covering the last 5 innings after getting the 4-2 lead sounds like a plan much better than (tired) crochet/bummer/tepera/kimbrel. I mean does he know it’s a 5 game series?

Edited by bigcat
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Beer and fried chicken pizza needs to lose 40-50 pounds so his knee can handle more than a few months in a season. 

Lucas didn't have his best stuff, but kept the team in the game. The Sox were up two, but it was clear his pitch count was high, he had four very stressful innings against a top hitting lineup, and it was clear he should have been pulled. Many were calling for the bullpen to warm in the fourth, and when he started the 5th, to definitely have a quick trigger in the fifth facing the top of the order for the third time.

I prefer a clean inning for relievers, gives them a clean slate to attack hitters without worrying about sign stealing, pitching out of the stretch, gives them room to work around or walk a guy with a tough matchup/platoon matchup. Tony doesn't, and hasn't for the most part, all season. Tony also has let pitchers go after they were clearly gassed throughout the year. Tony clearly has an issue recognizing when Giolito is gassed, starting with that game in May with Tony's asinine postgame comments.

I knew the 5th would play out exactly as it did, with Tony primarily concerned with "Getting Lucas A Win", instead of getting the White Sox the win. The Brain Stem compounded the issue by putting in Crochet, clearly ineffective in back to back games all season, when he had several other options, including the preferred choice by most, Michael Kopech. Brain Stem had one other thought process in whatever synapsis remain between the ravages of age and alcohol. Get Lucas the Win and get a Lefty in. That is the extent of Tony's 2021 thought process. A good manager puts his team in the best position to win a game. Tony failed on several accounts yesterday. Not even getting into the asinine Cesar PH / Leury to RF debacle that moved a game from competitive to out of reach.

If this team is serious about fielding a competitive team in their "mutli-championship window" (copyright Rick Hahn 2020 - and it's World Series multi-championships, not fucking AL Central Championships), they are going to go with a manager who can put his team in the best position to win. Hahn had his guy, the manager with a signature on the Tony press release, but it was vetoed by another fossil whose other main decision over the decades was replacing a solid Roland Hemond with Hawk Harrelson.

The urgency is great, they need a manager who can credibly move the White Sox to compete at the highest stage. Tony has been completely pwned by Dusty Baker this series, and all season. His incoherent and absurd post game comments confirm the incomprehensible game moves are not just momentary lapses in reason, but a complete and permanent lack of grasp of what is going on during a game, who he has at his disposal, and how best to manage game situations and his personnel. Kick the dinosaur upstairs so his unemployable criminal ass can buy wine until he or Jerry join The Departed, and hire a manager capable of understanding and managing the game as it is played in 2021. Or just take advantage of the spike in 2022 season ticket sales and say fuck you to the fans, Jerry's standard response and take over the decades. Most know what scenario is likely to be played out, assuming Jerry and his owners even field teams in 2022.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, joesaiditstrue said:

Dylan Cease career against winning teams: 3-12, 6.35

Dylan Cease 2021 against winning teams: 2-3, 6.04

Dylan Cease career against HOU: 0-3, 6.60

You quote me now.

Dylan Cease has the best stuff on this team and he will show out tomorrow 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bigcat said:

I think how a manager moves the pieces can make a big difference. In a “must” win game, kopech and hendriks covering the last 5 innings after getting the 4-2 lead sounds like a plan much better than (tired) crochet/bummer/tepera/kimbrel. I mean does he know it’s a 5 game series?

Couldn’t say it better myself.  Kopech and Hendriks are our two shutdown relievers.  We had to bring in our best weapons when we were up 4-2.  If we lose game 2, we have to win 3 in a row which will be very difficult to achieve.  You don’t hold back any weapon for later games.  Unless the Sox win three in a row, TLR should retire.  He was a key piece in not going hard for HFA which looks like will doom us.  I may turn out that all the resting that was done may be for just 3 games in the post season. Pathetic.

41 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

You quote me now.

Dylan Cease has the best stuff on this team and he will show out tomorrow 

if the Sox win tomorrow and Cease goes 6 and gives up 3 or less, I won't post again until after the WS,mods can ban me til then

@southsider2k5 @Chisoxfn 

😎

Edited by joesaiditstrue
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, bigcat said:

Right on.  It is also important to point out that with the new rules, tired Crochet had to face at least 3 batters, including the righty Gurriel, the AL batting champ who ended up tying the game.  You needed to come in with a fresh pitcher with dominating stuff like Kopech to protect that lead.  TLR made another terrible move, one of many this season.  No sense of urgency

• Thanks 3