ALDS Game 3 - HOU @ CWS - 7:07pm CDT

12 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Good discussion though. I'm not sure what Tony was doing  calling you Ms. unless I missed something. Didn't sound like an insult you calling him Sir. It was respectful. Everything else Tony said I agree with but can see your square peg in a round hole argument as well but for the money he's making you would thing he could pitch well in any situation. But Kimbrel is where he wanted to be and I feel for the guy with his daughters health. I hope he's got some bullets left for any other innings he's called upon to pitch.

How many HoF relievers have been demoted from their roles with a better save conversion rate than the closer on the team they’re joining…and sported a 0.52 ERA?

Wouldn’t it have been more logical to use Hendriks in high leverage for a half season, knowing he was already perfectly comfortable to that role in the past? 

If the argument back is that it would screw with Liam mentally this year and into the future of his contract…then couldn’t one make the same argument that he could have more easily made the necessary mental adjustments? 

2 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Holy smokes, LOL

Tepera will go down as the best trade acquisition of the three.  Wonder how much it would take to resign him?

And getting everyone riled up for Game 4 might help, but Game 5 will be a totally different beast.

At least the mantra next year will be HFA, HFA, HFA…

• Like 1

The Sox surprised me Sunday tonight. I really thought they were done. The fan support was outstanding. The base really got into Altuve's head calling him a cheater all night long. I like the Sox chances with Rodon to force a game 5. If the Sox pull this out they will look to Dusty's decision to switch pitchers midstream resulting in Leury's game (and maybe series) changing homer.

Edited by GradMc
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

No, he’s not a good matchup against them in Houston, for whatever reason. He is fine against them when they have a different ballpark, for whatever reason. ERA closing on 6 in Houston, ERA against Houston elsewhere in the low 3’s. Maybe the backdrop in Houston, maybe they’re cheating, maybe it’s mental for him, who cares it’s a multi year trend. He was literally why I was saying we should sell out more for home field advantage back in August - if game 5 was in Chicago he might throw a shutout. 

Agree.  Not going for HFA with the best home record in the AL and worst away record in the playoffs was a no brainer.  We could have done it, we punted many games with Sunday lineups and Keuchel starts.

Edited by hankchifan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Tnetennba said:

🤔🤔

Game 1 whiffs: 17

Game 2 whiffs: 15

Game 3 whiffs: 22

What's even more important is that the game 1 and 2 starters had 16 of the 32 whiffs accounted for in only about 7 innings of work. Cease only got 3 whiffs tonight and the rest of the bullpen racked up 19. I don't think think this really means that the Astros cheat at home, but it is interesting. 

15 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

Agree.  Not going for HFA with the best home record in the AL and worst away record in the playoffs was a no brainer.  We could have done it, we punted many games with Sunday lineups and Keuchel starts.

Who would you have started instead?  Lopez was already in the rotation…Kopech or Lambert?

I guess one of the offseason discussion points will be about the mismanagement of both Kopech and Crochet, but guess we’ll just have to wait and see how next season unfolds.

• Like 1

Ashamed to say that at 5-1 I gave up watching and went to bed (I'm in the UK so it was very at late night!). Woke up this morning to find out I had missed an amazing comeback. Just watched the highlights and the atmosphere looked amazing.

Thank goodness Game 4 is on earlier so that I can watch it all without having to stay up through the night! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tony said:

For a relief pitcher making 16 million dollars, asking them to pitch the 8th instead of the 9th doesn’t sound very unreasonable to me, Ms. 

Don’t really know any other way to say it. I expect him to perform. I guess I’d put it to you this way. As a 16 million dollar man, if asked about his poor performance, Kimbrel said:

“I just don’t like pitching the 8th inning. I can’t really get excited about it. My juices aren’t flowing them. And people can’t expect me to pitch in the 8th inning and be an impact player. I know other players are very successful in the 8th inning, but it just doesn’t interest me. I can’t help this team win unless I’m pitching the specific 1 inning I’m comfortable in. Not the 8th, not the 10th, but just in the 9th inning, when the game is on the line and when it’s only a save situation. Other than that, I really can’t be trusted.” 

You’d be ok with that? You’re on Kimbrel’s side? 

Well, you're a Global Moderator here so i guess you can say what you want.
However, the use of quotes strongly implies a verbatim statement attributed to an individual,even if qualified by an 'IF' clause in a preceding sentence. Has Kimbrel made any verifiable, actual statements that would reasonably be considered to resemble the fictitious 'quote' you've manufactured? Satire and lampoon of public figures, within reasonable limits is fair game - i.e. bringing the principle of unpopular speech into the issue (the movie The People vs Larry Flynt actually depicts this process fairly well.)  Is your projection to be considered satire? When you then posit the projection as fact: "You’d be ok with that? You’re on Kimbrel’s side?" You're giving up the idea of a lampoon altogether. You're treating the fictitious quote as representative of Kimbrel's attitude where there is no evidence that this is a fact.
My point being that, even on a fan based message board, using quotes in this way doesn't simply violate the mechanics of Grammar, it might very well border on Libel.

FWIW - I thought bringing in Kimbrel was a questionable decision, especially considering the other needs of the club.
Have a great Sox day!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 2

2 hours ago, FoxForce2 said:

Well, you're a Global Moderator here so i guess you can say what you want.
However, the use of quotes strongly implies a verbatim statement attributed to an individual,even if qualified by an 'IF' clause in a preceding sentence. Has Kimbrel made any verifiable, actual statements that would reasonably be considered to resemble the fictitious 'quote' you've manufactured? Satire and lampoon of public figures, within reasonable limits is fair game - i.e. bringing the principle of unpopular speech into the issue (the movie The People vs Larry Flynt actually depicts this process fairly well.)  Is your projection to be considered satire? When you then posit the projection as fact: "You’d be ok with that? You’re on Kimbrel’s side?" You're giving up the idea of a lampoon altogether. You're treating the fictitious quote as representative of Kimbrel's attitude where there is no evidence that this is a fact.
My point being that, even on a fan based message board, using quotes in this way doesn't simply violate the mechanics of Grammar, it might very well border on Libel.

FWIW - I thought bringing in Kimbrel was a questionable decision, especially considering the other needs of the club.
Have a great Sox day!

It was not implied that he actually said it, as I clearly used the word “if. The quote was also way over the top, on purpose, to try and prove the point we were having in the discussion. If anyone took the quote as “real”, then I guess I should have made it clear it was simply created as an example of the argument that was being bad, and not something he really said. I thought that was absolutely clear, but apparently not. 

It’s a fake quote. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chw42 said:

Game 1 whiffs: 17

Game 2 whiffs: 15

Game 3 whiffs: 22

What's even more important is that the game 1 and 2 starters had 16 of the 32 whiffs accounted for in only about 7 innings of work. Cease only got 3 whiffs tonight and the rest of the bullpen racked up 19. I don't think think this really means that the Astros cheat at home, but it is interesting. 

The Astros were also sending fake signals to the Sox hitters down in Houston to make them perform terribly w/RISP

only possible explanation

9 hours ago, chw42 said:

He should be the first one out of the bullpen tomorrow if Rodon falters.

Lynn?  Have the Sox mentioned anything about theoretical game 5 plans?  Seems like a Rodon + Lynn piggyback today and then Giolito for game 5 would make the most sense if you’re trying to maximize your chances of winning this series.  Obviously hurts you a bit for a potential ALCS, but need to get there first before you worry about that series.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

How many HoF relievers have been demoted from their roles with a better save conversion rate than the closer on the team they’re joining…and sported a 0.52 ERA?

Wouldn’t it have been more logical to use Hendriks in high leverage for a half season, knowing he was already perfectly comfortable to that role in the past? 

If the argument back is that it would screw with Liam mentally this year and into the future of his contract…then couldn’t one make the same argument that he could have more easily made the necessary mental adjustments? 

If you expect a good hitter making good money to hit to his career norms anywhere in the lineup I'd expect the same from a pitcher. A one inning guy is a one inning guy. !  Same ball same plate , same pay . Your motivation is your sick child, and paying for her health care .

I don't care how many HOFish relievers have been demoted with good numbers. He wasn't demoted here. He was promoted from a losing team to a winning team with a chance to pitch in high leverage situations on a winning team that already had a guy doing what he does. So take the next best relief role and excel at it.

Any way too much time on Kimbrel. Time for another win.

8 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Who would you have started instead?  Lopez was already in the rotation…Kopech or Lambert?

I guess one of the offseason discussion points will be about the mismanagement of both Kopech and Crochet, but guess we’ll just have to wait and see how next season unfolds.

Are you just here because you like reading the National Enquirer and just want to stir up trouble ? I didn't see any mismanagement. . One young pitcher with no innings in 2 years and 1 young pitcher prone to injury with no history of starting success in college nor of pitching a long season and both get through the season healthy and pitching in the post season . Where the hell is the mismanagement? You have to walk before you can run.

16 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Welp, I guess the Astros fans bitching about the ump can take solace in that they would have lost 11.75 to 7. 

Was a strange strike zone.  Don't see how the missed strike 3 to Grandal in the 3rd isn't the biggest call of the game though.  He goes on to hit a 2 run homer, and the sox Score 5 in the inning.  That said, he wasn't giving the high strike all game to either side.  

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Was a strange strike zone.  Don't see how the missed strike 3 to Grandal in the 3rd isn't the biggest call of the game though.  He goes on to hit a 2 run homer, and the sox Score 5 in the inning.  That said, he wasn't giving the high strike all game to either side.  

Because it didn't result in a walk or hit directly. Ump Scorecards also does not care what happens after the call, because it's based around run expectancy. Not how many actual runs were scored because of the difference in the call. 

I actually don't remember the strike 3 on Maldonado being in the same spot as Grandal's non-called 3rd strike, but it seemed like Hallion did not give the high strike to lefties all game and he pretty much kept with it. The zone was mostly consistent, even though it was pretty bad. 

46 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Are you just here because you like reading the National Enquirer and just want to stir up trouble ? I didn't see any mismanagement. . One young pitcher with no innings in 2 years and 1 young pitcher prone to injury with no history of starting success in college nor of pitching a long season and both get through the season healthy and pitching in the post season . Where the hell is the mismanagement? You have to walk before you can run.

Hate to go all Ron, but if there was a poll question….are you satisfied with how Kopech and Crochet have been groomed by the coaching staff or developed or whatever phrase you care to apply, I’d imagine it would be pretty lopsided.

It’s a legitimate question why Kopech didn’t get a few more starts to work on his full repertoire and build innings for next year over the last six weeks when they were just treading water.

Granted, right now he’s barely a two pitch pitcher.

Maybe it’s more frustration we didn’t contest HFA until it was too late to recover.

Crochet is more understandably an evolving work in progress with limited experience and will be babied more. 

18 hours ago, joesaiditstrue said:

I feel bad for the people who spent money to watch this garbage

The garbage can was in Houston, last nights crowd went home very very happy as I crawled into bed at 1AM got up and left for the park at 10:00 am, sat down for a hot dog on 35th street only to hear the game was cancelled.  Good call because after last nights marathon my energy level was a bit under the weather but I'll be ready for tomorrows 1 PM start.

• Love 2