What now for this series?

Chimpton

Just win the next game and move on. I would imagine the Sox pitchers know the plan, but this secrecy about the rotation, if they don’t , can’t inspire confidence. I think cease starts game 3 hopefully he has his control and the Sox win. Game 4 should be all hands on deck, and let Hendriks go multiple innings if needed, because if they win, they get another off day, and I say let Gio go game 5 in Houston. He had really good stuff yesterday. I think he was trying to be too perfect, and it cost him. He goes out with that same stuff, maybe the Sox get a break or two and beat McCullers. 

it seems depressing, but nothing really has changed. They were always going to have to win a game in Houston or if they had HFA, win all of their home games. 

14 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

With the exception of 2005 and I guess 2008 if you count that, this franchise has a long and storied (ha ha) history of getting bounced out in the opening round. This yr will be no exception. Houston is the superior team

Houston has to feel good about themselves. They have beaten the Sox seven of nine this season. The Sox play better at home but any home field advantage doesn't mean much at this point. I think they can win game three with Cease on the mound, but after that it looks awfully shaky. And the Sox performance in the post-season since 1917 has been terrible. There would have to be some kind of huge momentum changer for the Sox to take this series.

1 hour ago, Chimpton said:

What do people think will it be:

A) a glorious 3-2 comeback win for the Sox

B) 3-2 Astros after the Sox win both their home games.

C) 3-1 Astros 

Or

D) a 3-0 sweep?

They need to win the home games and save Rodon for game five? Maybe. Mostly they need to wake up. They don't seem to match up well with Houston and play poor defense. I have watched grounders go by Tim's left side all season. Also give Leury a night off for my sake. If Houston is likely cheating Sox will play better at home. HFA is killing the Sox. 

I think they can get the win Sunday but that may be it. Houston is intense and they are hot. It will take an electric outing by a pitcher to trump that. Right now Dylan is the one guy who *might * be able to deliver that. It’s a shame we don’t have the early season Rodon.

Edited by SpringfieldFan
  • Like 1

I think the game will go like this: If Dylan it great, he will K 10 batters and Sox likely win. If he doesnt have it, we get Kopech for multiple innings and we may still win but only after Houston scored a few off of Cease. If needed I think Hendriks goes 2 innings. Its do or die, gotta treat every game like it and deal with the next game if you get there. 

1 hour ago, joesaiditstrue said:

Houston wins Sunday if Cease starts

He will implode during the first 3 innings like always and they don't recover, 8-4 HOU

If it's Ropech, Sox have a chance if the defense plays out of their minds and the pen is properly used (unlikely)

What’s your problem with Cease? He was the 4th most valuable pitcher in the AL per fWAR. He doesn’t implode every start. In fact, he was quite good this season. 

7 hours ago, manbearpuig said:

Nah they will win Sunday forcing me to go watch them get eliminated on Monday.

This is what I'm thinking as well. We will win tomorrow but Houston will finish us off on Monday. Especially if Rodon isn't pitching (or isn't himself).

7 hours ago, pcq said:

Sunday night baseball with two large markets will likely be dwarfed by SNF and two small markets Bills-Chiefs. 

It's been that way for quite some time.   I remember when cable became more mainstream when MTV was in most households.  You had TBS to watch the Braves, USA had Thursday Night Baseball, MNB on ABC, your Saturday game of the week.  Now you need and upgraded cable package to watch even local baseball at least here in Phoenix just to see the Diamondbacks.  Fantasy sports and gambling make the NFL much more popular. 

I dont know.

The 1st 2 games have been demoralizing. This is what I was afraid off.  We kept coasting and seem to be playing that way in the playoffs while the team we are playing knows how to turn up the heat in playoffs.

We have been out pitched, out hit (zero XB hits), out managed, out played on defense.

Every aspect of the game we have been outplayed. 

We just need to win the next game and see what happens 

4 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

It's been that way for quite some time.   I remember when cable became more mainstream when MTV was in most households.  You had TBS to watch the Braves, USA had Thursday Night Baseball, MNB on ABC, your Saturday game of the week.  Now you need and upgraded cable package to watch even local baseball at least here in Phoenix just to see the Diamondbacks.  Fantasy sports and gambling make the NFL much more popular. 

Baseball gambling story as told by my dad: he was at a Sox game at Tiger Stadium sometime in the late 90s. Only two other guys sitting within 50 feet of his group. Found out that the guys were big time sports bettors. One of them had $200 on Wilson Alvarez to throw a shutout at +5000. Alvarez got pulled in the 8th despite still having a shutout on only allowing 3-4 baserunners. The guy went ballistic.