"TLR isn’t helping Sox, who may be beyond it"

joejoesox

4 hours ago, fathom said:

I saw a spray chart after the game of Yordan’s ground balls this year that made the lack of shifting on him inexcusable. His go-ahead single went exactly to where he hits a lot of grounders.

Altuve's single to lead off the inning is probably even more inexcusable. Teams shift on him about 20% of the time, which is above average for a RHH and this is how they position against him.

Screenshot_20211010-120547_Brave.jpg

Edited by chw42
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

What about TLR’s hire and this particular playoff series hasn’t played out exactly to the worst initial fears of most Sox fans?

Of course, if that isn’t enough, we inevitably get Groundhog Day 2 next year as well.

I was worried he'd burn down the clubhouse, but thought he would at least have the team ready.  Turns out I had it backwards. 

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

I was worried he'd burn down the clubhouse, but thought he would at least have the team ready.  Turns out I had it backwards. 

Seems he has been too relaxed and Ventura-esque, trying to prove he could be cool or tolerant in his old age.

Just not a good fit…when he’s going against certain aspects of his nature as a manager.

Say what you will about Ozzie and Cora, but they had their teams ready to play…at least until 2011.

This team under Renteria and now LaRussa still hasn’t developed an identity…we have a lot of speed, but don’t use it, or are afraid of getting Moncada and Robert hurt.  Bad defense.  Inconsistent fundamentals, like runners from 3rd or simply holding runners on.  Consistently throwing to the wrong bases or missing cutoff men. Lack of situational hitters who can make adjustments or hit against shifts instead of grounding right into DP’s.

We have big personalities…especially TA, and quiet leaders like Abreu, but this team has never seemed cohesive ever since the first series of bullpen disasters in Anaheim.  We do have the trademark inconsistent offense, albeit with more walks due to Grandal and Moncada this year.

But if you stacks the two lineups up against each other, Robert and Grandal are perhaps the two positions the White Sox have a clear advantage at.  And we’re just not getting enough from our aces to even things out…and nothing yet from Kopech or Rodon.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

What about TLR’s hire and this particular playoff series hasn’t played out exactly to the worst initial fears of most Sox fans?

Of course, if that isn’t enough, we inevitably get Groundhog Day 2 next year as well.

I figured he would be terrible at the modern game and would have issues inside the clubhouse, and feared he would ultimately be the thing that stood in the way instead of what pushed them over the top.  Sadly my fears are being proven right, as much as I didn’t want them to be.  They can still win despite him, but not if he continues to put the team in a position to fail at the most critical times. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ok y’all want some irony? The White Sox have a manager vehemently opposed to the idea of framing, so much so that they traded away Narvaez and declared him awful defensively and then with 2 years of actual coaching he was the best framing catcher in baseball. 

To solve that, the white Sox bring in a catcher already good at framing. Yay we have improved on framing!

The white Sox deservedly fire the manager who hated framing. But, that manager also was totally ok with defensive shifting, and the guy they brought in to replace him believes defensive positioning is the tool of the antichrist, so we fixed one problem and then created another!

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

20 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Ok y’all want some irony? The White Sox have a manager vehemently opposed to the idea of framing, so much so that they traded away Narvaez and declared him awful defensively and then with 2 years of actual coaching he was the best framing catcher in baseball. 

To solve that, the white Sox bring in a catcher already good at framing. Yay we have improved on framing!

The white Sox deservedly fire the manager who hated framing. But, that manager also was totally ok with defensive shifting, and the guy they brought in to replace him believes defensive positioning is the tool of the antichrist, so we fixed one problem and then created another!

Not only did they significantly bump player payroll for Tony (Lynn, Eaton, Hendriks, Kimbrel, Cesar), but they added two coaching staff positions and Tony filled them all with cronies beyond Lucas' and Hahn's recruitment of Ethan Katz. I was initially thrilled the Sox finally brought in someone to help major league catchers, and develop minor league catchers. 

However, organizational catchers took a step backwards despite the dedicated additional resources. The only skill of Jerry Narron's on display this season is calligraphy, including incorporation of Hebrew and Japanese. I rather have a catcher instructor who, I don't know, improves catchers in the organization. He reminds me of a Street and Sans supervisor who instead of having his crew filling potholes instead instructs them to build him an underground pool in his backyard.

• Love 1

45 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

this organization is just infuriating, we are really prisoners to this franchise. The White Sox treat their fans like Squid Game treats their players. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Let's face it we can vent our frustration with having TLR in charge as much as we want (just like when we found out about his 2nd DUI) but Jerry doesn't give a f@ck what we think, so TLR stays and potentially another year of this team's 'window' is wasted.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Chimpton said:

So far TLR has been amazingly underwhelming this post season, considering that was what he was brought in for, his 'experience' has not helped the Sox improve on last year in the post season.

Your comments are an elegant way to express that TLR has sucked this season.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Tnetennba said:

I figured he would be terrible at the modern game and would have issues inside the clubhouse, and feared he would ultimately be the thing that stood in the way instead of what pushed them over the top.  Sadly my fears are being proven right, as much as I didn’t want them to be.  They can still win despite him, but not if he continues to put the team in a position to fail at the most critical times. 

During the regular season, we can get away with TLR bone head decisions, but not in the playoffs where we have no margin for error.  TLRprobably cost us the second game with several bad decisions.  Leaving a tiring Giolito in with the2 run lead: not bringing in Kopech our dominating pitcher to protect the lead,; bringing in Crochet in to pitch to three hitters including rightyGurriel in a game situation, after throwing 26 pitches the day before: putting Leury in RF so he could pinch hit with the anemic Cesar Hernández.  That is 4 bad decisions.  Too much to overcome.  That is not a HOF performance.

2 hours ago, chw42 said:

Altuve's single to lead off the inning is probably even more inexcusable. Teams shift on him about 20% of the time, which is above average for a RHH and this is how they position against him.Screenshot_20211010-120547_Brave.jpg

We already know that we have a bad coaching staff.  We are bad in adjusting.  There are too many coaches deferring to TLR and not advising him on some of his bad decisions and basically being cronies and yes men.  We have a 20th century staff in a 21 st century game.

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Seems he has been too relaxed and Ventura-esque, trying to prove he could be cool or tolerant in his old age.

Just not a good fit…when he’s going against certain aspects of his nature as a manager.

Say what you will about Ozzie and Cora, but they had their teams ready to play…at least until 2011.

This team under Renteria and now LaRussa still hasn’t developed an identity…we have a lot of speed, but don’t use it, or are afraid of getting Moncada and Robert hurt.  Bad defense.  Inconsistent fundamentals, like runners from 3rd or simply holding runners on.  Consistently throwing to the wrong bases or missing cutoff men. Lack of situational hitters who can make adjustments or hit against shifts instead of grounding right into DP’s.

We have big personalities…especially TA, and quiet leaders like Abreu, but this team has never seemed cohesive ever since the first series of bullpen disasters in Anaheim.  We do have the trademark inconsistent offense, albeit with more walks due to Grandal and Moncada this year.

But if you stacks the two lineups up against each other, Robert and Grandal are perhaps the two positions the White Sox have a clear advantage at.  And we’re just not getting enough from our aces to even things out…and nothing yet from Kopech or Rodon.  

We could have used a higher energy manager this season, an Ozzie or even Ricky type, rather than a low energy guy like TLR or Robin.  TLR has not maximized / extracted the most out of our players. We have wasted  too many opportunities.

8 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

We could have used a higher energy manager this season, an Ozzie or even Ricky type, rather than a low energy guy like TLR or Robin.  TLR has not maximized / extracted the most out of our players. We have wasted  too many opportunities.

The problem with this team is definitely not energy. It is intelligence and professionalism.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Cesar is the new whipping boy.  There are 8 other guys.  I guess the 18 homers were impressive part.  They needed someone to fill that position.  His best use wold be to bunt since he is good at.  I'm not really bothered by that trade since they didn't give up something like they did for Kimbrel.

The reality is the pen is nowhere near playoff caliber. It's been the weakest link all season.  As a fan I never feel secure when the pen has to come in.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Trying to plan around injury is never fool proof in sports.  Eloy almost got hurt by a ball in the dugout.   Too bad they don't use the team speed to their advantage. Of course you have to get on base to do that.

1 hour ago, kitekrazy said:

Cesar is the new whipping boy.  There are 8 other guys.  I guess the 18 homers were impressive part.  They needed someone to fill that position.  His best use wold be to bunt since he is good at.  I'm not really bothered by that trade since they didn't give up something like they did for Kimbrel.

The reality is the pen is nowhere near playoff caliber. It's been the weakest link all season.  As a fan I never feel secure when the pen has to come in.

If you want something to complain about with the trade, it’s that they could have had Escobar a month beforehand and specifically decided that Escobar was the wrong choice due to some phantom health issue that didn’t affect him at all the rest of the year. Great work by the same front office and scouts who went with Kimbrel.

13 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If you want something to complain about with the trade, it’s that they could have had Escobar a month beforehand and specifically decided that Escobar was the wrong choice due to some phantom health issue that didn’t affect him at all the rest of the year. Great work by the same front office and scouts who went with Kimbrel.

I was just thinking about that as well. We were told that Escobar had been traded to the Sox. Then they hadn't traded for him. Then we heard it was from medical issues. But he never missed any time.

7 hours ago, tray said:

That is what a bench coach is for. The Sox have a staff that assembles analytics. LaRussa relies on a lot of people including Katz, who seldom if ever gets any criticism for decisions on pitching changes or pitcher performance.  Is LaRussa agreeing or disagreeing with what Katz advises him to do regarding pitching changes ? From the look of it, it always seems like they are on the same page. Maybe the Sports media people should interview Katz and find out what his view was about certain specific  pitching moves....whether he advised that they be made or disagreed with them.

What a completely ridiculous, horseshit riddled post. Just stop fucking embarrassing yourself, you TLR Stan. This TLR shit reminds me of Trumpism. Always an excuse. 

Edited by Paulie4Pres
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1