Game 4 pitching management thread

Buehrle>Wood

Just now, Buehrle>Wood said:

TLR with not exactly a ringing endorsement of Rodon going tomorrow but that he's ready and the best he's felt rceently. Potentially gamesmanship. Baker saying he's heard Rodon isn't throwing as hard.

So how does one use the pen tomorrow, assuming Rodon isn't throwing a 27 pitch shutout?

If Rodon can't go more than 3 tomorrow, I think Lynn should be the first one out of the bullpen. If Rodon gives you 5, go Crochet, Tepera, Kimbrel, and Hendriks. Bummer probably won't be available unless absolutely needed.

44 minutes ago, chw42 said:

If Rodon can't go more than 3 tomorrow, I think Lynn should be the first one out of the bullpen. If Rodon gives you 5, go Crochet, Tepera, Kimbrel, and Hendriks. Bummer probably won't be available unless absolutely needed.

How well has Tepera done this year in back to back or multiple inning appearances?

Edited by caulfield12

4 minutes ago, Colome's Hat said:

I'd go Rodon with four and Lynn.  Than would get two innings from Hendriks and turn it over to Kimbrel.  To be honest, the Rodon we saw against the Reds might be real trouble for a fastball hitting team like the Astros.

Just wonder how much pain the slider’s causing at this point…if he has to go away from the FB heavy repertoire.

8 minutes ago, Moncada said:

Id go 

Rodon

Lynn (to cover any innings needed to get to the 6th)

Repeat today's order 

My fear is that I suspect Tepera, Bummer and Kopech are unavailable tomorrow. Based on that, my guess is we'll see Rodon for 2 or 3 at absolute most. ReyLo follows him for 2 or 3. Crochet for 1, then Kimbrel and Hendriks. We need to score a bunch tomorrow. 

14 minutes ago, PitchatRisktoZisk said:

My fear is that I suspect Tepera, Bummer and Kopech are unavailable tomorrow. Based on that, my guess is we'll see Rodon for 2 or 3 at absolute most. ReyLo follows him for 2 or 3. Crochet for 1, then Kimbrel and Hendriks. We need to score a bunch tomorrow. 

https://www.espn.com/mlb/player/batvspitch/_/id/33860/reynaldo-lopez
Lopez has actually done fairly well against the Astros…11/36 is over .300 and not .242 as ESPN has here but no xbh and only 3 runs with 5 walks and 6 k’s.

5 hours ago, PitchatRisktoZisk said:

Those guys shouldn’t go…unless it goes extras. If Rodon is out early, it should be Lynn to get as many as we can get from him. Crochet, Kimbrel, and Hendriks is enough to cover at least 3 in some order. If it goes longer than 9, Ruiz, Lopez, and the guys who worked yesterday give you everything they have left. If Lynn can’t go, then Lopez fills that role as well as he can.

6 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

How well has Tepera done this year in back to back or multiple inning appearances?

He has pitched 14 times in back to back outings and gave up 8 runs in 12.1 innings for a 5.84 ERA in that situation. He should not be a primary option.

6 hours ago, Colome's Hat said:

I'd go Rodon with four and Lynn.  Than would get two innings from Hendriks and turn it over to Kimbrel.  To be honest, the Rodon we saw against the Reds might be real trouble for a fastball hitting team like the Astros.

I was at that game and agree with you there.  

I say you ride Hard Carl until he isn't effective. That may be 1 inning, it may be 5 or 6 or 7. You just have to be sure you win, and you have to think if they fall behind 5-1 again, there is a really good chance a comeback will not be in order. There is an off day tomorrow, which makes me really hate that Hendriks pitched in a 6 run game yesterday. You probably could have squeezed 3 innings if needed out of him today, and with an off day tomorrow, he would have been OK for game 5.

• Like 1

Guys, last night was crazy.

We just need our SP to step up. We are in a bad spot with Rodon and his injury, but if he can pull a miracle game and go 5/6 innings of 0-1 run we can send this to game 5.

Obviously, need to be ready for anything here. I'm starting to get worried about our bullpen being overused (?). 

We just need a SP to not destroy us tonight. If we can get that, we can win this game against whomever houston is throwing. 

Lynn should be fired up and KNOWS Gio is getting game 5. He has to be the bridge, and he HAS to locate better and mix in some form of off-speed if at all possible. If you get 3-4 from each of Rodon and Lynn, that is an awfully great combo if they are on. I feel great about them each getting 1-2 times through without any 3rd At Bat hiccups. Throw all the deception every at bat. 

To me, the Astros take advantage of almost every walk you give them. Don't walk guys and don't fall behind. Rodon can get away with that when he is 100%, but he is going to get killed if he isn't, and everyone else so far this series has burned when they walk guys.

Edited by Dick Allen

26 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

To me, the Astros take advantage of almost every walk you give them. Don't walk guys and don't fall behind. Rodon can get away with that when he is 100%, but he is going to get killed if he isn't, and everyone else so far this series has burned when they walk guys.

It sure feels like every rally they've had has involved a walk.