ALDS Game 4 - HOU @ CWS - 1:07 pm CDT

McCullers stats show out better on the road but this isn’t a normal road game, as we all know.

He also tends to blow up the third time through a lineup. We’ve got to get to him by being patient and really need to scrape through a couple runs while we get to that point of the game while hoping Rodon can absolutely shut the Ashoes down for two times through their order.

6 minutes ago, Sockin said:

If they pull it off tomorrow they’re taking this series IMO

I'm shocked at that call, and would NOT be happy with it if I were an Astro's fan. McCullers has absolutely owned the Sox. Why are you making it harder for him by pitching him in Chicago, rather than Game 5 in your own ballpark? 

Wild move the Sox need to take advantage of. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sockin said:

If they pull it off tomorrow they’re taking this series IMO

Interesting.  Makes winning tomorrow probably a little harder than facing Urquidy, but we were going to have to beat McCullers in game 5 to advance anyway.  Makes game 4 harder, but with a win, puts the Sox in as good of a position as possible for a game 5 W @ Houston.

#SOXINFIVE 

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

I'm shocked at that call, and would NOT be happy with it if I were an Astro's fan. McCullers has absolutely owned the Sox. Why are you making it harder for him by pitching him in Chicago, rather than Game 5 in your own ballpark? 

Wild move the Sox need to take advantage of. 

Because now the White Sox need to beat McCullers and Valdez, rather than Urquidy and McCullers. And Houston's bullpen is stronger with Urquidy in there as well - they got a little depleted last night too.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Because now the White Sox need to beat McCullers and Valdez, rather than Urquidy and McCullers. And Houston's bullpen is stronger with Urquidy in there as well - they got a little depleted last night too.

Good observation.

It literally makes zero sense to pitch McCullers in game 4, the advantage of using him is in Houston where the Sox are 0-6 this year

I don't get it, if the Sox manage to win a normal-ish game tomorrow, the pressure absolutely is on Houston in GM5

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

McCullers is their ace in the hole, he's been straight dominant over the Sox in 2021. I'm putting that guy in the best position to continue that trend by giving him one more day, and the opportunity to pitch in his home park, rather than a stadium that was considered absolutely electric by both local and national media last night. 

If the Sox can beat McCullers in GRF tomorrow (not an easy task) the entire scale is tipped in the Sox favor heading into Game 5. If the Sox win game 4 but you have McCullers waiting for you in Game 5 back in Houston....I still don't feel great about the series. 

I just don't agree with it. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The Sox can beat any pitcher in baseball at their ballpark tho.  I firmly believe that

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tony said:

McCullers is their ace in the hole, he's been straight dominant over the Sox in 2021. I'm putting that guy in the best position to continue that trend by giving him one more day, and the opportunity to pitch in his home park, rather than a stadium that was considered absolutely electric by both local and national media last night. 

If the Sox can beat McCullers in GRF tomorrow (not an easy task) the entire scale is tipped in the Sox favor heading into Game 5. If the Sox win game 4 but you have McCullers waiting for you in Game 5 back in Houston....I still don't feel great about the series. 

I just don't agree with it. 

And as great as McCullers is, he does have control issues.  Putting him in a rowdy opposing ballpark makes it easier for those issues to come to light.  Like you said, nobody’s saying this just became an easy task but I do think it’s the best possible scenario for the Sox.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rowand44 said:

And as great as McCullers is, he does have control issues.  Putting him in a rowdy opposing ballpark makes it easier for those issues to come to light.  Like you said, nobody’s saying this just became an easy task but I do think it’s the best possible scenario for the Sox.

This!  I thought it might be a good move but after thinking about this and talking with my friend who is a Stros fan, they are pissed.

2 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

We need our approach at the plate to be patient and grinding him down.

2 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

Right, the Astros still have to be the heavy favorite in the series, and this doesn't change those odds that much. But it's the optimal situation for the Sox given the circumstances.....in my opinion. 

• Like 2

Astros lurker here.... Just an FYI LMJ numbers have been statically better on the road this year ERA at 2.7 compared to 3.5 at home. Also has been way less homer prone on road then the juice box. Only gave up 4 all year on road, I think 2 came in one game.

Knowledgeable Astros fans knew this was going to happen and is absolutely the right call. You dont play to setup your rotation for a possible ALCS, you play for the jugular. I know White Soxs excel vs Lefty pitching but if you have a chance to pitch your best 2 arms to close out a series you do it. Plus like somebody said Urquidy out of the pen is a much better option that trying to get 4-6 innings out of him.

I would also expect Presley would be available fo 2 innings tomorrow if thats what the game dictates. He has done it in the past and effectively.

See yall guys tomorrow. Good luck!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Colome's Hat said:

This!  I thought it might be a good move but after thinking about this and talking with my friend who is a Stros fan, they are pissed.

Knowledgeable Astros fans who arent bandwagon fans are not pissed. Season ticket holder for 15 years. Im in chicago currently with a group of 10. All love the decision. 4 of them are former scouts.

Edited by strx2000

1 minute ago, strx2000 said:

Astros lurker here.... Just an FYI LMJ numbers have been statically better on the road this year ERA at 2.7 compared to 3.5 at home. Also has been way less homer prone on road then the juice box. Only gave up 4 all year on road, I think 2 came in one game.

Knowledgeable Astros fans knew this was going to happen and is absolutely the right call. You dont play to setup your rotation for a possible ALCS, you play for the jugular. I know White Soxs excel vs Lefty pitching but if you have a chance to pitch your best 2 arms to close out a series you do it. Plus like somebody said Urquidy out of the pen is a much better option that trying to get 4-6 innings out of him.

I would also expect Presley would be available fo 2 innings tomorrow if thats what the game dictates. He has done it in the past and effectively.

See yall guys tomorrow. Good luck!

You seem like a nice enough fellow but… respectfully… get the fuck out of here.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

The other side of the coin is baseball is fucking weird, and weird things happen in elimination games. The Astros figure their best bet at knocking the Sox out is McCullers, and why risk a Game 5 where things could go sideways. This way, even if the Sox beat McCullers tomorrow, Houston is thinking "We still have the advantage in Game 5 as we are going back to our place." 

I get it, but hopefully the Sox can take advantage tomorrow. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hi8is said:

You seem like a nice enough fellow but… respectfully… get the fuck out of here.

You are lucky Chicago is my 3rd favorite city! Or I would take offense to that.

I will say I believe the 2 best teams are playing right now. Rays SP depth is showing. The Red Sox cant pitch to save their lives. They got an out of world performance from pivetta yesterday.

Edited by strx2000

• knightni changed the title to ALDS Game 4 - HOU @ CWS - 1:07 pm CDT
  • raBBit unpinned this topic