ALDS Game 4 - HOU @ CWS - 1:07 pm CDT

4 minutes ago, strx2000 said:

For people hammering the Astros saying they didnt get punished enough. behind the scenes it was bad losing Lunhow the best GM in baseball and development. Also Hinch one of the top 3 Managers in the game. MLB commish told astros ownership those were the guys that needed to go. We lost multiple 1st rd pick oh and  for something that every team does. The astros just happen to be the scapegoat. Its a damn shame Manfred has let the Astros hanging out there... when there is proof of the Yankees scheme and how bad it is. Hopefully one day they will release the letter if it ever get thru the courts, which it wont. They will protect their beloved yankees. Everyone cheats in baseball. I played 3 years off and on for the giants and Braves. They had stuff going on back then 2008-2011. Wont go into details. 

Hope yall have a great off season! Till next time.

Yeah, anyone who puts those two sentences together in the same paragraph gets a huge "Fuck off" from me.

• Fire 1

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

One thing I hate is coming and going out of your seat. There is no etiquette. Especially with these 4 1/2 hour games. There is so much down time. Yet someone gets right in front of you to go to their seat, or go spend $100 on overrated food just as a pitch is being delivered. 

I do agree with that...I have always stressed to my son to try to only head to concessions between innings and wait until the half inning ends to return to your seat.  

2 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Sox record against AL central - 44-32 (.579)

Sox record outside of AL central 49-37 (.569)

So is it really that we "rolled over" a bad division?

The Sox rolled over bad teams- Twins just never got it going, Cubs post-punt on season, Orioles, Rangers, Pirates, Reds after they were eliminated. To me, the Sox “out-talented” a lot of teams, and they racked up enough wins each month. But they never really showed anything that they were going to be a postseason threat to better AL teams. 

43 minutes ago, wegner said:

I do think it's bad when people cannot enjoy the game because how others are acting and am sorry that happened with your son there.

However, I am going to differ with you in one aspect.  The players on the Astros truly did cheat and nothing was done to them at all by MLB....I do not feel one ounce of sorrow or regret for them because they have to hear about it and if they have to hear about it from the stands for the rest of their careers I really don't care because they will not hear it from reporters who basically kiss their butts when interviewing them.  

Maybe it was stupid what Tepera said but I think he is speaking for the frustration of a  bunch of major leaguers who are pissed that they broke the rules and got away with it 100%.

I totally agree.  Fans should give it to those cheaters loud and hard for as long as they're around.  I was happy to hear it coming from Sox fans (though I think it can be accomplished more effectively without the F-word chants).  MLB may try to sweep it under the rug, but the fans won't forget.  It's at least a tiny measure of justice, meted out one chant at a time.  And by the way, I got tons of admiring messages from friends who cheer for other teams about how fired up and passionate our crowd was, including the "cheater" chants.  And by the way, it was louder and much more impassioned when we were winning--the Astros will of course try to cast it as sour grapes but in my opinion it went well beyond frustration about losing, and will not go away if and when we bump them out of the playoffs.

4 minutes ago, flavum said:

The Sox rolled over bad teams- Twins just never got it going, Cubs post-punt on season, Orioles, Rangers, Pirates, Reds after they were eliminated. To me, the Sox “out-talented” a lot of teams, and they racked up enough wins each month. But they never really showed anything that they were going to be a postseason threat to better AL teams. 

That was the formula in 2005. They lost the season series to both Boston and LA that year. Different story in the playoffs. The problem is despite playing really well at the end of the season, the team played really poorly vs. Houston. The offense was great one game. The pitching was terrible all 4 games.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I totally agree.  Fans should give it to those cheaters loud and hard for as long as they're around.  I was happy to hear it coming from Sox fans (though I think it can be accomplished more effectively without the F-word chants).  MLB may try to sweep it under the rug, but the fans won't forget.  It's at least a tiny measure of justice, meted out one chant at a time.  And by the way, I got tons of admiring messages from friends who cheer for other teams about how fired up and passionate our crowd was, including the "cheater" chants.  And by the way, it was louder and much more impassioned when we were winning--the Astros will of course try to cast it as sour grapes but in my opinion it went well beyond frustration about losing, and will not go away if and when we bump them out of the playoffs.

I know you did your part in the 2 home games....thanks for the effort.  

Bottom line is Sox just played terrible in 3/4 games.  SP was flat awful.  Defense was poor all around. Bad managerial decision after bad managerial decision. Got no help from the umps.  Just an all around disaster.  We were told for months how TLR was getting this team ready for this series, and then we just see a complete microcosm of all of this team's shortcomings continually rear its ugly head in a 5 game series.

The better team won.  It hurts. Just wish the Sox would have played better.  The certainly were a better team than they showed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

That was the formula in 2005. They lost the season series to both Boston and LA that year. Different story in the playoffs. The problem is despite playing really well at the end of the season, the team played really poorly vs. Houston. The offense was great one game. The pitching was terrible all 4 games.

Houston was really a nightmare matchup for us.  I suspect we would have had a really good shot against Tampa or Boston but we'll never know.  Oh well, would've had to face them eventually.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Bottom line is Sox just played terrible in 3/4 games.  SP was flat awful.  Defense was poor all around. Bad managerial decision after bad managerial decision. Got no help from the umps.  Just an all around disaster.  We were told for months how TLR was getting this team ready for this series, and then we just see a complete microcosm of all of this team's shortcomings continually rear its ugly head in a 5 game series.

The better team won.  It hurts. Just wish the Sox would have played better.  The certainly were a better team than they showed. 

I remember the pre game coverage and beginning of Game 1 on FS1....if I was just a random fan listening to what they were saying about the White Sox I would've been like what the hell is this team doing in the playoffs.  It really gave me a bad feeling about the series which came out all too true.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

29 minutes ago, wegner said:

I remember the pre game coverage and beginning of Game 1 on FS1....if I was just a random fan listening to what they were saying about the White Sox I would've been like what the hell is this team doing in the playoffs.  It really gave me a bad feeling about the series which came out all too true.

All that resting , punted games, Keuchel starts, when we had a chance to go all out for HFA was a blunder. The team was not sharp enough.  Too much coasting. And then all that resting for four games in the playoffs doesn’t seem like a good strategy.  Hope TLR retires.  He just didn’t workout.  Too many blunders.

2 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

All that resting , punted games, Keuchel starts, when we had a chance to go all out for HFA was a blunder. The team was not sharp enough.  Too much coasting. And then all that resting for four games in the playoffs doesn’t seem like a good strategy.  Hope TLR retires.  He just didn’t workout.  Too many blunders.

He's unfortunately going nowhere.  Just hope he's willing to learn from his mistakes.  The NBA load management bullshit didn't work.  This team played like shit for months, and it didn't magically flip the switch in October. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

One thing I hate is coming and going out of your seat. There is no etiquette. Especially with these 4 1/2 hour games. There is so much down time. Yet someone gets right in front of you to go to their seat, or go spend $100 on overrated food just as a pitch is being delivered. 

I did not want to pile on in my assessment of yesterday, but the up and down/in and out made for a tough viewing experience as well. Maybe I'm just a grouchy old man and need to stick to regular season games, but goading everyone to stand up and cheer every two strike pitch seems excessive to me. I also agree very few follow the old unwritten rule of leaving/returning to your seat between innings, with minimal exception. To be fair, I do sometimes try to time it quickly after an at bat ends, but the mid-pitch stuff is ridiculous. 

3 hours ago, wegner said:

I do think it's bad when people cannot enjoy the game because how others are acting and am sorry that happened with your son there.

However, I am going to differ with you in one aspect.  The players on the Astros truly did cheat and nothing was done to them at all by MLB....I do not feel one ounce of sorrow or regret for them because they have to hear about it and if they have to hear about it from the stands for the rest of their careers I really don't care because they will not hear it from reporters who basically kiss their butts when interviewing them.  

Maybe it was stupid what Tepera said but I think he is speaking for the frustration of a  bunch of major leaguers who are pissed that they broke the rules and got away with it 100%.

I don't care how the Astros feel but I do think the comments and chants strengthen their resolve if it does anything. The point I was making is you can frequently spot the team that lost or is destined to lose once they start whining about things that don't go their way. To me championship teams make plays, not excuses. 

3 minutes ago, Pants Rowland said:

I did not want to pile on in my assessment of yesterday, but the up and down/in and out made for a tough viewing experience as well. Maybe I'm just a grouchy old man and need to stick to regular season games, but goading everyone to stand up and cheer every two strike pitch seems excessive to me. I also agree very few follow the old unwritten rule of leaving/returning to your seat between innings, with minimal exception. To be fair, I do sometimes try to time it quickly after an at bat ends, but the mid-pitch stuff is ridiculous. 

And all that loud cheering hurt my ears, too - keep it down for god's sake.  :)   Kidding of course, but I think the standing on every two-strike pitch for two full games was awesome.  The whole experience and energy level was such a welcome departure from the sterile, boring environment at Minute Maid where I spent the prior week.  The Sox crowd was loud and brash like the team.  The home crowd experience was, to me, the high point of an otherwise disappointing series.

• raBBit unpinned this topic
22 minutes ago, Pants Rowland said:

I don't care how the Astros feel but I do think the comments and chants strengthen their resolve if it does anything. The point I was making is you can frequently spot the team that lost or is destined to lose once they start whining about things that don't go their way. To me championship teams make plays, not excuses. 

That's an understandable and fair point.

I was talking to someone today who was at the game who quite frankly thought it was bush league from the Astros how they were stealing bases late and of course how they threw at Jose when they were up 7-1.  I unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) was not able to watch any of yesterday's game so I don't have a feeling about taking the extra bases but I do think plunking Jose was not a class move.

Maybe this motivates the South Siders to take it to the Astros next season....Let's hope so.

29 minutes ago, Pants Rowland said:

But the Astros whine more than anybody and they won.

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Wait for the whistle.