ALDS Game 4 - HOU @ CWS - 1:07 pm CDT

1 hour ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Good call

The guy he had start game 1 is fully rested. The guy he should have had start game 1 is fully rested for game 5. The only way this makes sense is if Rodon is suddenly back to his version of earlier in the season. If he is not, they are starting a guy who almost didn't make the roster over the guy they thought gave them the best shot at winning, and Lynn would be pitching at home. 

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

The guy he had start game 1 is fully rested. The guy he should have had start game 1 is fully rested for game 5. The only way this makes sense is if Rodon is suddenly back to his version of earlier in the season. If he is not, they are starting a guy who almost didn't make the roster over the guy they thought gave them the best shot at winning, and Lynn would be pitching at home. 

Sure, but there may be a difference between the move that ensures internal logical consistency and the move that is best for the team based on what we've seen so far.  Are you confident running out a guy who has gotten lit up time and time again by this team, game 1 starter or not?  I'd rather roll the dice with Rodon--Lynn is waiting in the wings anyway if things go south.

12 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

The earlier start time has motivated me to take off the entire day and meet up with people, who are now going because of the game being PPD, and tailgating beforehand. 

I had the exact same idea.  Just gonna make it an all day thing tomorrow.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Sure, but there may be a difference between the move that ensures internal logical consistency and the move that is best for the team based on what we've seen so far.  Are you confident running out a guy who has gotten lit up time and time again by this team, game 1 starter or not?  I'd rather roll the dice with Rodon--Lynn is waiting in the wings anyway if things go south.

If Rodon is throwing 90, the Sox are in trouble.  And Lynn in the wings? If Lynn is good enough to be next up or start game 5 in Houston (I hope it's Gio, who actually had great stuff his last start), then he should start game 4 at home. If Rodon has his stuff, then starting him makes a lot of sense. But the Astros aren't the Reds a day after being eliminated. 

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If Rodon is throwing 90, the Sox are in trouble.  And Lynn in the wings? If Lynn is good enough to be next up or start game 5 in Houston (I hope it's Gio, who actually had great stuff his last start), then he should start game 4 at home. If Rodon has his stuff, then starting him makes a lot of sense. But the Astros aren't the Reds a day after being eliminated. 

He did this 3 starts ago against Boston. It's definitely possible that he can bring this type of stuff again. 

Rodon.png

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GreenSox said:

If Rodon really is back in form, he's the guy I want pitching in Houston.  

If he's in form I want him tomorrow against their Ace. Gio did good enough last time out and inspires confidence in a GM 5

3 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Yeah...I don't think I want Lynn pitching against Houston anymore. Bullpen or otherwise. Plan ahead and save him for the ALCS and have him start game 1 against Boston or TB.

If Rodon can only go a couple innings, its pretty much necessary. I'd prefer Lynn over Reylo.  If pen needs to eat 5-7 innings, Lance is going to be needed.

Hopefully TLR's comments that he was "in pen" last night is indication that a potential game 5 is Giolito's for sure.  With TLR, I don't take what appears to be common sense thinking for granted. 

18 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It will be rowdy. No doubt about it.

it will definitely be rowdy, but a 107 start time is a slap in the face to White Sox fans attending, and all fans who want to watch. They were going to have multiple games being played at the same time today. I don't know why they couldn't do the same tomorrow. The only thing I can think of is traveling after the game.

25 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Yeah...I don't think I want Lynn pitching against Houston anymore. Bullpen or otherwise. Plan ahead and save him for the ALCS and have him start game 1 against Boston or TB.

Same here.  When we named him our Game 1 starter, I didn't realize how much he'd struggled against HOU.  Last handful of starts (going back to his time w/ TEX too):

10/7/21 - 3.2 IP, 5 ER

6/19/21 - 4 IP, 6 ER

9/24/20 - 5.2 IP, 9 ER

9/3/20 - 6 IP, 6 ER

I'm fine not seeing Lynn again in the ALDS.  Save him for Game 1 in the ALCS if we advance.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

it will definitely be rowdy, but a 107 start time is a slap in the face to White Sox fans attending, and all fans who want to watch. They were going to have multiple games being played at the same time today. I don't know why they couldn't do the same tomorrow. The only thing I can think of is traveling after the game.

Just wait for the expanded postseason next year. More of the same for another round. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, bighurt574 said:

Same here.  When we named him our Game 1 starter, I didn't realize how much he'd struggled against HOU.  Last handful of starts (going back to his time w/ TEX too):

10/7/21 - 3.2 IP, 5 ER

6/19/21 - 4 IP, 6 ER

9/24/20 - 5.2 IP, 9 ER

9/3/20 - 6 IP, 6 ER

I'm fine not seeing Lynn again in the ALDS.  Save him for Game 1 in the ALCS if we advance.  

Unfortunately may need him to throw a couple of innings if Rodon only goes a couple.

Thank goodness it's postponed. Would have been agony with rain in the area and Tstorms. Now pitch whoever is ready, win and bring it to Houston. ... Should be interesting to see if this cheaters story progresses with a full day to fester. No reason for the Sox to go there. Think it ... don't say it. It's bad for baseball and very stupid to pretend motivation this way.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, flavum said:

Just wait for the expanded postseason next year. More of the same for another round. 

I don't see how anyone can look at this years final standings/playoffs race and say "expanded playoffs is the answer!". Really hope they don't forever dilute the game with more expansion. 

43 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Definitely agree with all this.  Personally works out nicely for me since I’m already off tomorrow and gives me sometime to rest up before I commute back to STL but having it at 1:07 just blows for most people. 

Also, I highly doubt it’ll match the craziness of last night but it’s still going to be rowdy there.

As for the game itself, as I said before I hope they pitch McCullers tomorrow but in no way is it a must win for them if they do.  No matter what we still have to find a way to win in Houston which is an issue.

Edited by Rowand44

13 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don't see how anyone can look at this years final standings/playoffs race and say "expanded playoffs is the answer!". Really hope they don't forever dilute the game with more expansion. 

Baseball is done, .It's boring for the young-uns period. For the. older traditionalists and those brought up on the game who are older, it's been ruined by the overemphasis on the home run and K. True baseball fans go to batting practice to watch home runs. They don't need them as the only highlight of a game. It used to be artwork to watch a starting pitcher work his way through a game, all the way to the, get this, the NINTH INNING! Now, LOL. Hacks entering in the fifth until the ninth when usually the closer is worth watching. 3.5 hour to 4.5 hour games. LOL.

Anyhow the one-game playoff series are insulting and frankly disgusting. Why? Baseball is a marathon season which caters to traditionalists and statniks and lovers of history. We know a one-game series means nothing except good gate and concessions and parking for one team and a trophy for the other team. Blah.

• Like 1

• knightni changed the title to ALDS Game 4 - HOU @ CWS - 1:07 pm CDT
  • raBBit unpinned this topic