Tepera said out loud what everybody is thinking

CentralChamps21

1 minute ago, Harry Chappas said:

You have to remain inside the baseline.  It is the box to the right of the line that is important on throws to first, not from first. 

No you don't when the out is not at first.  Hence the reason Grandal was safe

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Isn’t that the last 15 feet…?

My understanding is that the rule says the runner establishes his own baseline.  He doesn't have to run down the chalk.  He just can't "intentionally" interfere with the ball.  

I have no doubt in my mind that Grandal positioned himself such that Gurriel had to adjust his throw.  Guys do that all the time - its just seen more often between 1st and 2nd.  But Yaz didn't stick his arm out.  Gurriel hit him in the shoulder.  I think the way the rule reads - its about intent.  And since the play is not reviewable, its umpire discretion.  IMO, the Sox caught a break but it was a heady play and ended up being a crucial moment.   

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

My understanding is that the rule says the runner establishes his own baseline.  He doesn't have to run down the chalk.  He just can't "intentionally" interfere with the ball.  

I have no doubt in my mind that Grandal positioned himself such that Gurriel had to adjust his throw.  Guys do that all the time - its just seen more often between 1st and 2nd.  But Yaz didn't stick his arm out.  Gurriel hit him in the shoulder.  I think the way the rule reads - its about intent.  And since the play is not reviewable, its umpire discretion.  IMO, the Sox caught a break but it was a heady play and ended up being a crucial moment.   

Also, Luis was gonna be safe lol.

1 hour ago, GREEDY said:

They were taking Kopech's slider all the way and taking daddy hacks at his fastballs.  Maldonado was committed to a fastball that was going to hit him.   Obviously, they could have had a tip on Michael specifically but they definitely do not deserve the benefit of the doubt.  

Teams have been doing this to Kopech for about a month now.  It's almost certain he has some kind of a tell.  Go back and watch his last regular season outing too.  They lay off the slider and swing hard at his heat.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Teams have been doing this to Kopech for about a month now.  It's almost certain he has some kind of a tell.  Go back and watch his last regular season outing too.  They lay off the slider and swing hard at his heat.

Bummer and Tepera got some nasty swings on their sliders, and Kopech got basically none. Either he's tipping or his slider just isn't good. I also think he needs to mix in the curve and change more. If there is a tell, it might not be so apparent if there are two other offspeed pitches coming in.

Just now, almagest said:

Bummer and Tepera got some nasty swings on their sliders, and Kopech got basically none. Either he's tipping or his slider just isn't good. I also think he needs to mix in the curve and change more. If there is a tell, it might not be so apparent if there are two other offspeed pitches coming in.

When he pitches out of the pen, he pretty much stays as a two pitch pitcher.  No idea if he could mix in the other stuff enough to keep them on his slider, but Kopech has been getting hit hard for a while now, and I am not good enough to see if he has a tell, but my eye test sure feels like they are able to see his slider from a mile away, and are ready for his fastball.

2 hours ago, reiks12 said:

Eh bad take

Probably a bad take, but.... It's the playoffs and the fervor about the cheating scandal has died down. You want your fans fired up. It's why you are always suspicious of ex cons. It's why we see post after post about Nelson Cruz being on steroids.

The Astro's did not do a good thing and right or wrong the organization will just have to live with the scrutiny and unfair takes.

• Like 2

Just now, chw42 said:

Hmm did the Astros personally apologize to every clubhouse in baseball? 

MLB musta put the nozzle on these guys tight. Never bring up or acknowledge the actual proven cheating by the Astros instead get mad when other teams clown them. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

OK Boomer

I really wish you would lay off the stupid OK Boomer comments.  It's like you are saying his comment is age related or that you are saying he is making a stupid comment because of his age. Either way it's ageism and if we don't allow racism  or insulting comments regarding creed  or gender or sexual orientation why do we allow age related biases ?

A stupid thing to do or say is stupid regardless of age . Plenty of people of all ages makes mistakes and say weird things.

Couldn't you have just  explained a reason for disagreeing with Gammons rather than make fun of his age ?

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Fire 1

10 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Hmm did the Astros personally apologize to every clubhouse in baseball? 

It’s beyond ridiculous.  Gammons has lost it.  But it’s a well-worn playbook these days.  If you’re brazen and unapologetic enough about your lying and cheating you can will certain milquetoast types over to your side over time.  

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I really wish you would lay off the stupid OK Boomer comments.  It's like you are saying his comment is age related or that you are saying he is making a stupid comment because of his age. Either way it's ageism and if we don't allow racism  or comments regarding creed  or gender or sexual orientation why do we allow age related biases ?

A stupid thing to do or say is stupid regardless of age . Plenty of people of all ages makes mistakes and say weird things.

Couldn't you have just said explained a reason for disagreeing with Gammons rather than make fun of his age ?

It was incredibly out of touch and absolutely so ridiculous as to not need explaining.  Hence the response.  I am sorry the phrase bothers you,

• Like 2

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

When he pitches out of the pen, he pretty much stays as a two pitch pitcher.  No idea if he could mix in the other stuff enough to keep them on his slider, but Kopech has been getting hit hard for a while now, and I am not good enough to see if he has a tell, but my eye test sure feels like they are able to see his slider from a mile away, and are ready for his fastball.

If he's tipping it might help to mix in other pitches to keep them more off balance (maybe he has an "offspeed" tip and that keeps them honest), or it might help to stop throwing the slider and rely on pitches he doesn't tip. If his slider just isn't good... stop using it.

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I really wish you would lay off the stupid OK Boomer comments.  It's like you are saying his comment is age related or that you are saying he is making a stupid comment because of his age. Either way it's ageism and if we don't allow racism  or insulting comments regarding creed  or gender or sexual orientation why do we allow age related biases ?

Couldn't you have just said explained a reason for disagreeing with Gammons rather than make fun of his age ?

Clearly Gammons prefers the Astros’ organization or has better relationships/sources over there…or has some sort of Keith Law-ish grudge.  Guess it’s natural as we are the WRONG Sox in his world where everything that matters in Carmine Red,

Not seeing any connection to age here, but more a stubborn allegiance to defending them for god knows what reason.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It was incredibly out of touch and absolutely so ridiculous as to not need explaining.  Hence the response.  I am sorry the phrase bothers you,

It needs explaining if all you are saying is OK Boomer. The phrase baby boomer doesn't bother me at all . You use of it does because you never use it in a good way. Stop.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Clearly Gammons prefers the Astros’ organization or has better relationships/sources over there…or has some sort of Keith Law-ish grudge.  Guess it’s natural as we are the WRONG Sox in his world where everything that matters in Carmine Red,

Not seeing any connection to age here, but more a stubborn allegiance to defending them for god knows what reason.

The funny thing is one of the things I remember from watching the post game coverage after the wonderful 2005 World Series was Peter Gammons gushing about the White Sox and how they won it the right way whatever he meant by that.  In retrospect, maybe he just kisses the ass of whoever wins it every year??