Tepera said out loud what everybody is thinking

CentralChamps21

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It needs explaining if all you are saying is OK Boomer. The phrase baby boomer doesn't bother me at all . You use of it does because you never use it in a good way. Stop.

It is quite literally mocking someone for saying something so ridiculous, it doesn't need explanation.  That's the way it is correctly used.

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Clearly Gammons prefers the Astros’ organization or has better relationships/sources over there…or has some sort of Keith Law-ish grudge.  Guess it’s natural as we are the WRONG Sox in his world where everything that matters in Carmine Red,

Not seeing any connection to age here, but more a stubborn allegiance to defending them for god knows what reason.

I didnt see an age connection either . Just a lame comment explained away by the poster by making fun of his age.

7 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

This is a very odd thing to get mad about it.  

Lol.  I’m sure this would be the perspective of anyone under 40.

For those over 50 or 55, particularly in a world economy where you’re growing increasingly obsolete in that age range…I’m sure it is a bit more sensitive.

(Heck, 61% of Americans at 55 or older no longer participate in the labor force, for a multitude of reasons.  Which strikes me as a somewhat shockingly high number, as an aside, and ominous for SS’s future.)

Edited by caulfield12

Game 1 Lynn did not have his command. He does not match up will with the Astros. He was just getting beat and he was not competing at the same level.

Giolito on the other hand, was executing. He was throwing the right pitches. The Astros were battling, battling, battling. Wasting foul balls. Laying off 3-2 off speed. Pretty comfortable around his change. It was very strange to me. I think he had crisp stuff and had control. 

Giolito has a pretty consistent track record since 2019. He has one of the lowest batting averages against and he doesn't walk a lot of guys. Giolito had exactly 2 starts with over 3 walks in 31 starts. Against Houston, 5 walks in 2.1IP. 

If you look at Giolito's game logs, when he pitches poorly there is one similarity - he gives up homeruns (with one exception). That's how you beat Gio. You guess FB or CU, guess right and get it up in the air. The Astros didn't do that once. Just felt a bit strange about it watching live. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MackowiakYakYak said:

The Sox have a bigger differential on the season for home and away, and Houston is first in wrc at home and away. The easiest explanation is that you get used to your park’s batters eye. Don’t start shit Tepera

Yeah they get used to looking at the batters eye for signals that tell them what pitch is coming next.

19 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It is quite literally mocking someone for saying something so ridiculous, it doesn't need explanation.  That's the way it is correctly used.

https://www.vox.com/2019/11/19/20963757/what-is-ok-boomer-meme-about-meaning-gen-z-millennials

The conversation isn’t through with them, however, not least because the rise of OK boomer has provoked concurrent backlash from baby boomers, many of whom have misread the meme, and feel it is motivated mainly by ageism. But that misreading also feeds the meme — because baby boomers failing to understand the point of OK boomer is, well, the point of OK boomer.

Don’t get it twisted. It’s important to understand that what really lies behind the meme is increasing economic, environmental, and social anxiety, and the feeling that baby boomers are leaving younger generations to clean up their mess.

Seems to me it is mocking from one generation to another generation for leaving the younger generation a mess and that you are using the phrase wrong unless of course you are using it to mean he's old and out of touch just as all baby Boomers are and therefore stereotyping a whole society of people. Would you do that to a black person , a Jewish Person. a women ?

It just seems like odd behavior for a guy who is always sticking up for everyone's rights unless you just don't like old white people.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, almagest said:

How many of the strikeouts were due to Hallion's zone and the Astros plate discipline, vs. how many were swinging/taking obvious strikes?

This is great question.  Hallion is a terrible ump.  He missed calls all night for both teams.  O/U  upside down 6-7 K's where due to a large inconsistent zone.

Edited by pettie4sox
clarity

25 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

https://www.vox.com/2019/11/19/20963757/what-is-ok-boomer-meme-about-meaning-gen-z-millennials

The conversation isn’t through with them, however, not least because the rise of OK boomer has provoked concurrent backlash from baby boomers, many of whom have misread the meme, and feel it is motivated mainly by ageism. But that misreading also feeds the meme — because baby boomers failing to understand the point of OK boomer is, well, the point of OK boomer.

Don’t get it twisted. It’s important to understand that what really lies behind the meme is increasing economic, environmental, and social anxiety, and the feeling that baby boomers are leaving younger generations to clean up their mess.

Seems to me it is mocking from one generation to another generation for leaving the younger generation a mess and that you are using the phrase wrong unless of course you are using it to mean he's old and out of touch just as all baby Boomers are and therefore stereotyping a whole society of people. Would you do that to a black person , a Jewish Person. a women ?

It just seems like odd behavior for a guy who is always sticking up for everyone's rights unless you just don't like old white people.

Its funny.  I hear so much about millennials from the older generations, about their pronouns and safe spaces, and how they couldn't survive the good ol days, but when the tables get turned, all of the sudden, that same generation is woke af, and all about equality.  As it always has been, the difference is in the power structure.  Comparing yourself to blacks, Jews, and women should make the obvious, but that's OK.  Hopefully you use those feelings and apply the same to actually oppressed people.

I get the message though. I hear you and will protect you.  If it really bothers you so much, I will not use it anymore.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

There is zero doubt in my mind that they are still doing the sign stealing, in a more sly stealth fashion.  Look at some of the guys stats last year compared again to this year.  I don't it's a wide spread as it was before player wise, but it is still happening.  I mean, fuck, why wouldn't they?  The players faced zero consequences last time.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

I saw an explanation about this, apparently it didn't really matter because Grandal wasn't interfering with their attempt to get him out, so the establishment of the baseline didn't matter in that instance.  As long as it didn't look like he was intentionally trying to deflect the ball it's ok. And the ump determined that Yas was just running up the line after the hit

Yes, just think the play is open to too much creativity and interpretation of intent, and should be subject to review. Once you get in the realm of "intent", it becomes a Pandora's box of outcomes, mostly subject to the whims of a single umpire vs. a consistent interpretation. Then again, so is each and every pitch, at least until an automated strike zone becomes reality.

36 minutes ago, almagest said:

And this box does not even account for the most impactful call, the missed strike call which would have sent Grandal down, but as missed, allowed him to hit a two run home run to make the game 5-3.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

Just now, soulfly said:

There is zero doubt in my mind that they are still doing the sign stealing, in a more sly stealth fashion.  Look at some of the guys stats last year compared again to this year.  I don't it's a wide spread as it was before player wise, but it is still happening.  I mean, fuck, why wouldn't they?  The players faced zero consequences last time.

Boston was definitely using full signs the entire game starting with the Wild Card game in New York. I haven’t seen enough of their series to know if Tampa Bay is doing so. The year the Nats won in Houston, they had multiple codes and were switching them up repeatedly during the game, always assuming that there was a camera on them. 

Are the White Sox? If they’re thinking about this at all, then they should be using fully coded signs every pitch. At the very least for their own mindset, to make them feel secure.