Tepera said out loud what everybody is thinking

CentralChamps21

18 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Yeah they might stop if they are cheating (probably not since they literally got caught recent) but if they are not, then you kind of motivate them by accusing them. Seems pretty cut and dry ha

Here's the thing--bulletin board motivational material works well if you really believe you're being treated unfairly.  Like, being called a cheater when you're not a cheater.  But many of these guys are CONFIRMED CHEATERS, and the rest are playing for what they know is the scarlet-lettered cheating organization.  Now maybe they're just irredeemable sociopaths who have blocked the whole episode out of their minds, but I can't believe cheating is a conversation they want to be having in the middle of a series, or an accusation they're excited to defend against, or something that allows them to gin up too much righteous indignation.  The reality of it all has to creep in there somehow.

This was the most interesting thing I took from my many interactions with Astro fans over my last week in Houston.  They all by and large have some feeling of shame, and it takes the edge off a lot of the smack talk you expect from opposing fans.  They put on a tough act and try to play the heel, but if you actually bring up the cheating and press them on it they kind of look down at the ground and try to change the subject.  They know the cheating is b.s. and just desperately want it all to go away.  The players may be the same way, and if so I love the idea of using it to our advantage.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Here's the thing--bulletin board motivational material works well if you really believe you're being treated unfairly.  Like, being called a cheater when you're not a cheater.  But many of these guys are CONFIRMED CHEATERS, and the rest are playing for what they know is the scarlet-lettered cheating organization.  Now maybe they're just irredeemable sociopaths who have blocked the whole episode out of their minds, but I can't believe cheating is a conversation they want to be having in the middle of a series, or an accusation they're excited to defend against, or something that allows them to gin up too much righteous indignation.  The reality of it all has to creep in there somehow.

This was the most interesting thing I took from my many interactions with Astro fans over my last week in Houston.  They all by and large have some feeling of shame, and it takes the edge off a lot of the smack talk you expect from opposing fans.  They put on a tough act and try to play the heel, but if you actually bring up the cheating and press them on it they kind of look down at the ground and try to change the subject.  They know the cheating is b.s. and just desperately want it all to go away.  The players may be the same way, and if so I love the idea of using it to our advantage.

Definitely fair. Now let's keep the hitting going and take it back to Houston.

8 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I hope Jose Ruiz drills Altuve tomorrow

1. I hope there are zero situations where Jose Ruiz is in the game tomorrow.

2. I certainly hope Jose Ruiz does not throw a fastball at Jose Altuve in a situation where he's actually in the game and putting a baserunner on before Brantley and Bregman.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

1. I hope there are zero situations where Jose Ruiz is in the game tomorrow.

2. I certainly hope Jose Ruiz does not throw a fastball at Jose Altuve in a situation where he's actually in the game and putting a baserunner on before Brantley and Bregman.

Up 20-0... Do it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Probably would have been best to leave this thought to himself, honestly.  Seems to have become a major talking point of the series now.  BUt not sure it matters too much either way.  Just win. 

I agree with this. Not a huge deal but it seems silly at best (accuse past cheaters of cheating again? cmon) and bad for baseball at best (not a good motivational ploy here without proof; it's just not). At worst, if it's true, give some proof or don't bring it up. I would say the commish can't be happy with Game Four storyline bringing up the Astros cheating again. I mean THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN STRIPPED OF THE TITLE. Case close and they weren't

Sox should have leaked to the media they suspect stealing signs and let the media run with that while denying all comment.

3 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I really wish you would lay off the stupid OK Boomer comments.  It's like you are saying his comment is age related or that you are saying he is making a stupid comment because of his age. Either way it's ageism and if we don't allow racism  or insulting comments regarding creed  or gender or sexual orientation why do we allow age related biases ?

A stupid thing to do or say is stupid regardless of age . Plenty of people of all ages makes mistakes and say weird things.

Couldn't you have just said explained a reason for disagreeing with Gammons rather than make fun of his age ?

Can an admin be banned for being verbose, cruel and ridiculous every single day here?  Who owns this site?

• Haha 4

26 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

LOL

Always have to laugh at this stuff...so if Tepera said nothing were they going "take their foot off the gas"? This idea that by Tepera saying something gives them extra motivation is comical.  They weren't trying to win these playoff games prior to Tepera's comment, but now they mean business lol?