Carlos Rodon is the ACE of the Sox starting staff

VAfan

Just putting this out there before the game today.  I think Rodon is the best Sox starter, and has been since the beginning of the year.  Even if he doesn't have top end velocity, I think he'll have by far the best game out starters have put up against Houston.   

Even with 90-92 velocity against the Reds, he gave up 1 marginal hit in 5 innings last time out.  Instead of K's, he kept Luis Robert busy tracking down fly balls, none of which neared the fence.  

I hope the Sox find a way to keep him in the offseason.  I think he'll want to stay.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

They should offer him the QO and if he rejects, they should just let him walk. He’s injury prone and they have more important needs to fill this offseason.

agreed, id be afraid to offer him and Boras a contract. A bargain contract? Sure, but thats not happening with Boras

I said it in another thread but the Rodon we saw against the Reds is pretty likely to dominate a fastball hitting team like the Astros.  To be honest, I was most impressed with his start against the Reds.  He didn't let his lack of velocity get in the way.  He figured out how to mix and match and was able to get it done.  He's become a real pitcher this year.  I would absolutley offer him a CO and maybe even an incentive laden contract.  If they can dump Keuchel on someone desperate for starting pitching, it's worth it.

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

To be an ace you have to pitch every 5 days.  Carlos is not that guy.

maybe, maybe not. Its pretty hard to expect a guy coming back from TJS to pitch an entire season without limiting his innings. He could very well be an every 5 day guy next year.

50 minutes ago, Colome's Hat said:

I said it in another thread but the Rodon we saw against the Reds is pretty likely to dominate a fastball hitting team like the Astros.  To be honest, I was most impressed with his start against the Reds.  He didn't let his lack of velocity get in the way.  He figured out how to mix and match and was able to get it done.  He's become a real pitcher this year.  I would absolutley offer him a CO and maybe even an incentive laden contract.  If they can dump Keuchel on someone desperate for starting pitching, it's worth it.

Couldn’t disagree more. That Reds team was eliminated the previous day and was going through the motions. If he’s throwing 89-91 today, he won’t make it 3 innings.  They need to be careful about Altuve ambushing him on the first pitch.

The biggest difference in this iteration of Rodon and previous iterations is that he's become a thinker on the mound.  You can literally watch him talk to himself or look off in space thinking about his next pitch.  I don't know if this was something Katz taught him, someone else on the staff, or him just recognizing that pitching it as much about savvy as stuff, but it's made a tremendous difference.  This is why he can still dominate even when his velocity is down.

All that said, dude has waited a long time for this opportunity.  He'll feel no pain until his arm falls off.

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

Couldn’t disagree more. That Reds team was eliminated the previous day and was going through the motions. If he’s throwing 89-91 today, he won’t make it 3 innings.  They need to be careful about Altuve ambushing him on the first pitch.

Let's face it, if Carlos can't throw hard on the first pitch in front of a home crowd in the playoffs, his shoulder is fucked. If anything, the adrenaline alone should make him throw 95+. 

12 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I think most would agree for one game,  and at peak ability, he's got the best stuff on the staff. 

But needing 25 to 30 starts a few years in a row? Not happening. And he just keeps getting older. 

But making sure that he is at 100% and available is the problem.

• Like 1