Offseason Thread

reiks12

32 minutes ago, soulfly said:

I'm honestly not sure how they fix this team.  Their lack of drive and awful fundamental baseball is astounding.  Right now, this team is worse off than it was after the '20 season.  There are bigger holes to fill and less money and resources to fix them.

Sadly i dont know either. We gambled big at the trade deadline and now our 2022 suffers.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Increase payroll

JR should see the tide turning in the city. Cubs are gonna be ass for a few years and the Sox are gonna be the best team in the city. Unless COVID somehow gets worse, attendance will go up next year. The payroll needs to increase accordingly. If we go into next season with more or less the same team, it's not gonna work. We'll be sitting here in the same spot next October.

11 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Just terrible takes in this thread. Sox won 93 games despite 4 major injuries that cost us a few games. They got outpitched, outhit, and outdefended by the class of the AL and somehow they’re garbage? Nah. 

They’re still the third best team in the AL, and IMO would have beaten the crap out of the wildcard but drew the absolute worst matchup in Houston and got flat out exploited.

Stop acting like emotional children, put your big boy pants on, and grow up. We lost. We will be back next year and better. 

Mature adults take inventory and don’t ignore their shortcomings is they can fix them. If the Sox don’t improve their defense, team speed and base running, they will remain immature. Some sacred cows may have to be slaughtered. 

5 minutes ago, chw42 said:

The Rays were in almost every game. We weren't that close in 2 and got blown out in another.

Which means absolutely nothing.  They don't give prizes for being close.  They blew a World Series and a 1st round exit.  Imagine their frustration.  Either the Dodgers or Giants are going to stay home after the 1st round.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Mature adults take inventory and don’t ignore their shortcomings is they can fix them. If the Sox don’t improve their defense, team speed and base running, they will remain immature. Some sacred cows may have to be slaughtered. 

You said the magic word - immature. So many of these players still need to mature. I feel as though Cease, Jimenez, Robert, even Moncada still have their best years ahead of them and their process of maturing will make them better next year. Plus Robert and Jimenez clearly had aftereffects of their injuries that they were navigating. 

17 minutes ago, hi8is said:

For the record - I hope this isn’t the last game Rodon started for this team.

The way he  went out was the only way for him to return, so that’s good. He can try out for Kuechel’s spot. But it will be a pretty strong competition. Hopefully the Sox can find a team to pay some of DKs salary. I don’t  expect them to buy a starter if they spend money on the outfield, so he’ll have a good chance.

Edited by Chick Mercedes

12 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Pitchers and catchers report in 124 days. What we do between now and then is all that matters now.

I'll take Scherzer, welcome back Semien, and pray for a new manager. That is all I want for Christmas.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Logically it seems he’s gone. He would be smart to get the most years possible given his injury past.

Yep - on both accounts. I hope they work something out but it’s highly unlikely and we know why.

46 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The worst team in baseball would win a 5 game series vs the best team in baseball 20-25% of the time.

Every time someone says "isn't winning any post season series" they just show how out of touch they are with statistics and odds in baseball.

Not in the playoffs when rosters and focus tightens. And teams don't use bad players and have shorter leashes for pitchers. These playoffs aren't as random as people think. They are tough to win in because all of the teams are good. 

7 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

You said the magic word - immature. So many of these players still need to mature. I feel as though Cease, Jimenez, Robert, even Moncada still have their best years ahead of them and their process of maturing will make them better next year. Plus Robert and Jimenez clearly had aftereffects of their injuries that they were navigating. 

What do you do with a “left fielder” who doesn’t want to DH, and a real left fielder (Vaughn) that has to play every day?

• bmags locked this topic