Offseason Thread

reiks12

The biggest problem with the White Sox is their organizational philosophies and personnel. It's quite obvious they are way behind the times when it comes to analytics, scouting, fundamentals, plate approach, etc. All the talent in the world isn't going to mean shit without the right approach defensively, and at the plate. They aren't in the same stratosphere as the top dogs when it comes to being prepared for their opponents. The TLR hire exemplifies this more than anything. It's not the 90s anymore. Stop trying to play baseball like it is. Too much "gut instinct" and not enough attention to the numbers.

Edited by Paulie4Pres
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

What do you do with a “left fielder” who doesn’t want to DH, and a real left fielder (Vaughn) that has to play every day?

Jimenez has gotten much better at LF this year, and Vaughn has shown he can play right and he’s your first baseman of the future. Yes Vaughn can play left, but if Jimenez can play there just fine now, I don’t have an issue. 

16 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

You said the magic word - immature. So many of these players still need to mature. I feel as though Cease, Jimenez, Robert, even Moncada still have their best years ahead of them and their process of maturing will make them better next year. Plus Robert and Jimenez clearly had aftereffects of their injuries that they were navigating. 

Look at how many were not on the 2019 squad.

Just now, Greg Hibbard said:

Jimenez has gotten much better at LF this year, and Vaughn has shown he can play right and he’s your first baseman of the future. Yes Vaughn can play left, but if Jimenez can play there just fine now, I don’t have an issue. 

Vaughn can’t play RF with his speed. He looked to be a statue out there. You can’t have both in the outfield.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Better is not adequate. Its just too much ground to cover for Robert. You’ve got to increase speed, defense, baserunning. Vaughn  can conceivably be a replacement level defensive outfielder at best in right, probably better in left. Eloy is a problem.

Edited by Chick Mercedes

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Major moves for RF and 2B. Bring back Tepera. Trade Kimbrel for what you can - maybe a younger controllable reliever with promise. give carlos QO - If he rejects, Sign a solid veteran SP. May be too soon, but Grienke would be kind of fun but unlikely he hates Sox park and he said as much. Haven’t studied list enough to give you another name atm. 

In an alternative universe, I’d love to see a fresh coaching staff but know it’s not happening. 

Maybe that fresh coaching staff will come with the new manager.

7 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

The biggest problem with the White Sox is their organizational philosophies and personnel. It's quite obvious they are way behind the times when it comes to analytics, scouting, fundamentals, plate approach, etc. All the talent in the world isn't going to mean shit without the right approach defensively, and at the plate. They aren't in the same stratosphere as the top dogs when it comes to being prepared for their opponents. The TLR hire exemplifies this more than anything. It's not the 90s anymore. Stop trying to play baseball like it is. Too much "gut instinct" and not enough attention to the numbers.

no dude we just don't have enough good players, ignore the fact that all our veteran hitters almost set the record for singles in a series and our best pitchers looked drunk

Also I hope Cleveland or Minny take the Sox down the wire with the division next year. Never want to hear “rest” unless the division is wrapped up a couple days before the season ends.

Edited by TheTruth05
Kinda misphrased. More like long stretches of rest just because they have no competition
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Soxfest said:

can’t baby Rodon through another year.

After throwing ~140 IP this season he should be ok for ~180 next year. His jump from 7 to 140 showed an insane amount of guts.

He’ll be fun to follow for whoever signs him because as many have eluded to, he’s most likely gone.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Major moves for RF and 2B. Bring back Tepera. Trade Kimbrel for what you can - maybe a younger controllable reliever with promise. give carlos QO - If he rejects, Sign a solid veteran SP. May be too soon, but Grienke would be kind of fun but unlikely he hates Sox park and he said as much. Haven’t studied list enough to give you another name atm. 

In an alternative universe, I’d love to see a fresh coaching staff but know it’s not happening. 

They could go cheap with Romy and big bucks for RF. 

27 minutes ago, fathom said:

Two players that they really should figure out their trade value are Crochet and Engel.  Both guys are very expendable IMO and some teams might believe they can be full time starters.

Engel was damaged goods all year. The joke was on us. 

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The worst team in baseball would win a 5 game series vs the best team in baseball 20-25% of the time.

Every time someone says "isn't winning any post season series" they just show how out of touch they are with statistics and odds in baseball.

But it’s not just about one playoffs series. 

29 minutes ago, pcq said:

They could go cheap with Romy and big bucks for RF. 

I would lean this way if I was the Sox and it’s possible a guy (like semien last year) of this class is disappointed in his FA interest and is available for a 1 year deal. 

• bmags locked this topic