Offseason Thread

reiks12

2 hours ago, hi8is said:

Or he’s a kid in his rookie season that is going to mature.

I just want to point out, that I was and still am a big fan of his and hate that he was traded.  My point was I think it's the organization approach, not the player.

7 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Sox have a lot of pricey older veterans. There is a very, very limited trade market of teams willing to pay Kimbrel's salary. You only sign him if you plan on keeping him. He should improve, now that his innings base has been built, but not worth the huge payroll commitment, IMO.

Player / (10/22 Age) / 2022 Salary / (2023 salary, if applicable)

5-7 Older Players $90M Minimum (+$15M Kimbrel and/or $6M Hernandez)

• Abreu (35) $19.7M
  • Keuchel (34) $19.5M (2022 includes buyout, otherwise $20.0M 2023)
  • Lynn (35) $18.5M ($18.5M 2023, $18M or $1M buyout 2024)
  • Grandal (33) $18.3M ($18.3M 2023)
  • Hendriks (33) $13.0M ($29M for the final two years)
  • Kimbrel (34) $1.0M (Or $16.0M if they keep him)
  • Hernandez (32) $0.0M (or $6M if 2022 club option picked up)

10 Core Players $18.3M

• Giolito (28) $7.9M
  • Jimenez (25) $6.5M
  • Robert (25) $6.0M
  • Lopez (28) $2.8M
  • Bummer (29) $2.5M
  • Engel (30) $2.2M
  • Cease (24) $0.6M
  • Sheets (26) $0.6M
  • Kopech (23) $0.6M
  • Crochet (23) $0.6M

Free Agents

• Rodon ($18.4M QO a possibility)
  • Garcia ($3M-$5M AAV)
  • Marshall ($2.3M - Minor League Deal a possibility)
  • Goodwin (Thanks for helping, no place here)
  • Hamilton (Thanks for the memories)
  • Fry (As in Good-bye)
  • Tepera (Depends on the contract, hope they don't overreact to two months)

Crucial Needs

• Starting Pitcher (Rodon or external)
  • Starting Right Fielder
  • Starting Second Baseman
  • Reserve Infielder (or Leury)
  • Veteran Quality Defensive Catcher (Grandal splits / DH / 1B)

We need multiple relievers too.

2 hours ago, CeaseAndExist said:

The always hilarious 1st offseason meltdown thread from the worst fanbase in all of sports.

This thread is already embarassing. The #1 offseason priority needs to be for 75% of Soxtalk to become Cubs fans.

Yet here you are. Funny how that works.

2 hours ago, Tony said:

Ehhhh, you had me but now you’re losing me. 

Blowing up this team would be dumb, most sane people would agree. However, what happened this week can’t be chalked up as some “random occurrence” like you seem to be painting. 

You mentioned statistics. Here is a fairly important one: 

This team showed all season, including the playoffs, they simply aren’t at the level of other playoff caliber teams. They need to seriously address that moving forward, and not just hope for the best moving forward.

I understand the numbers are the numbers, but when you look at the details, they were 3-10 against the Yankees and Astros. This sentiment that they suck against playoff teams is flawed because they actually sucked against two teams and held their own against all others.  But I get it  

They need to get better depth, 7-9 (experienced) hitters, add 1-2 SP, and pray the playoff experience this year hopefully helps them break through to the ALCS at least, next year.   Having Houston lose Correa, Gurriel, Graveman and possibly others could only help. 

Edited by Chi Town Sox
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

We need multiple relievers too.

Relievers are a crapshoot every year. Even Kimbrel having a bad end of the year this year, can explode and have a good year next year. I think they should just stick with what they have because there are more pressing needs. They should also offer Rodon the QO to see if he would accept it, however I don’t think he will so if that’s the case than they should just let him walk. He’s not worth all that money for what else they need to improve the roster. 

Edited by maloney.adam

1 hour ago, joesaiditstrue said:

I think Rodon will be okay, he just faded down the stretch due to hitting an innings limit, people expecting him to throw 160 innings with zero issues after last year are dumb, like really

Paying him to hit 160 innings in any year is really dumb considering he has done it once in 7 years.

Just now, Chi Town Sox said:

I understand the numbers are the numbers, but when you look at the details, they were 3-10 against the Yankees and Astros. This sentiment that they suck against playoff teams is flawed because they actually sucked against two teams and held their own against all others.  But I get it  

They need to get better depth and playoff experience to hopefully break through to the ALCS at least, next year. 

This. Exactly this. The Sox sucked at Minute Maid and sucked vs the Yanks. We did fine against the Red Sox and Rays and might have been able to beat either of them in a full series. Yeah, but meanwhile …meatball pessimists want to show up to 35th and shields with pitchforks and torches for this team. It’s baffling.

This organization generally has gotten this rebuild right and have been moving in the right direction for three seasons. I think we will look back at this season as a turning point. I truly think Eloy and Vaughn and Moncada will be better next season and Robert is going to be MVP caliber. Fuck Cesar on his way out of town, let’s sign a real second baseman, QO rodon, and let’s avoid injuries next year. We can improve without a lot of moves. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, wegner said:

Ok crazy pipedream but what would Scherzer cost?

Scherzer might actually be possible since JR refuses to give pitchers long deals. Him being 37 probably means no team will give him more than 3 years. He'll probably get almost $100 million for those 3 years though. 

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

Scherzer might actually be possible since JR refuses to give pitchers long deals. Him being 37 probably means no team will give him more than 3 years. He'll probably get almost $100 million for those 3 years though. 

I’ll be shocked if he doesn’t stay in LA.

• Like 1

Just now, chw42 said:

Man I would love him in the rotation.  The short outings by our starters this series was tough to watch.

• bmags locked this topic