Offseason Thread

reiks12

3 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

This. Exactly this. The Sox sucked at Minute Maid and sucked vs the Yanks. We did fine against the Red Sox and Rays and might have been able to beat either of them in a full series. Yeah, but meanwhile …meatball pessimists want to show up to 35th and shields with pitchforks and torches for this team. It’s baffling.

This organization generally has gotten this rebuild right and have been moving in the right direction for three seasons. I think we will look back at this season as a turning point. I truly think Eloy and Vaughn and Moncada will be better next season and Robert is going to be MVP caliber. Fuck Cesar on his way out of town, let’s sign a real second baseman, QO rodon, and let’s avoid injuries next year. We can improve without a lot of moves. 

There is every reason to expect the Astros to be right back here next year. They lose Correa, but they have prospects who play SS (and catcher). They have a young starting rotation, and Verlander will be back (although they do have to go through the qualifying offer setup with him). Tucker, Alvarez are young. Bergman was hurt a long time this year. “We sucked against the Astros and Yankees and were .500 against other playoff teams” is not an acceptable route unless your final goal is the ALCS.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Joshua Strong said:

I would love it if the Sox were able to get David Fletcher from LAA to be their second baseman. He had a massive slump this year but I think he'd be a great fit on the Sox. Bat him ninth and watch him get on base.

So we'd be replacing Madrigal with a much worse version of Madrigal? Fletcher basically didn't do jack shit the entire 2nd half. Every time I watched him play, he would ground into a double play. 

5 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

This. Exactly this. The Sox sucked at Minute Maid and sucked vs the Yanks. We did fine against the Red Sox and Rays and might have been able to beat either of them in a full series. Yeah, but meanwhile …meatball pessimists want to show up to 35th and shields with pitchforks and torches for this team. It’s baffling.

This organization generally has gotten this rebuild right and have been moving in the right direction for three seasons. I think we will look back at this season as a turning point. I truly think Eloy and Vaughn and Moncada will be better next season and Robert is going to be MVP caliber. Fuck Cesar on his way out of town, let’s sign a real second baseman, QO rodon, and let’s avoid injuries next year. We can improve without a lot of moves. 

We lost to what is possibly the deepest lineup in MLB history. The losses really sucked and they were outplayed up and down, but this is like any team in the 90s going up against the Bulls buzzsaw. Except it is much more difficult to win in the MLB. 

Just add pieces and improve any way possible for next year, anybody who thinks we messed up this rebuild is delusional.  Every team makes some bad deals, even the best ones, but we have some real weapons that are elite talents and can beat anybody when they are on. 

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Scherzer got pulled early in the Wild Card game too.

Yep...that is just the way baseball is going to be...for awhile at least!  I hope the White Sox never go the route of "openers"...but if you could win by doing so...I guess why not?

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Scherzer got pulled early in the Wild Card game too.

You and your facts.....I'm trying to spend some of Jerry's $$ and all you've got are facts...want to throw in some statistics while you're at it??

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

There is every reason to expect the Astros to be right back here next year. They lose Correa, but they have prospects who play SS (and catcher). They have a young starting rotation, and Verlander will be back (although they do have to go through the qualifying offer setup with him). Tucker, Alvarez are young. Bergman was hurt a long time this year. “We sucked against the Astros and Yankees and were .500 against other playoff teams” is not an acceptable route unless your final goal is the ALCS.

I get it. You don’t think our young players will improve. I do. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chi Town Sox said:

Just add pieces and improve any way possible for next year, anybody who thinks we messed up this rebuild is delusional.

The biggest blunder was the Kimbrel deal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hi8is said:

Oh yea?

Starting in December there is a labor impasse until a CBA happens. They will not play games next year until there is some agreement, and I won’t be confident that they will get it done until they get it done.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

We need multiple relievers too.

No doubt, just listed the primary needs with the highest $ price tags. I think Kimbrel bounces back next year, but can't fit $18M for a bullpen guy. People are overestimating the number of teams with payroll flexibility to take that on in a trade, even if he is acquired to be a closer, at least beyond the Dodgers.

Optimistically,

• Keuchel bounces back a bit to be a decent #5 (4.00-4.20 ERA) for the same reason as Kimbrel post trade (2021 innings > 2019 +2020, both just ran out of gas).
  • Eloy Jimenez should bounce back if he can remain healthy, but that's a big if if he's still playing LF. Can he hit as a DH, or will he sulk about it?
  • Dylan Cease is still very young and I see him continuing to learn his craft and improve on a solid season. 
  • Andrew Vaughn can take a major step now that he has a full season under his belt.

On the flip side,

• I really hope the Sox talked to Lance about conditioning in so he can last a full season and be effective in the playoffs. That extension is a huge commitment, hope he reciprocates.
  • They also need to have Kopech focus on starting from Day 1, no hybrid plan for next season. He needs to develop 4 pitches, hope he can hit 120-130 innings including postseason.
  • Can Luis Robert stay healthy and grind out a full season and still be productive in October. He has played less ML games than Andrew Vaughn.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Starting in December there is a labor impasse until a CBA happens. They will not play games next year until there is some agreement, and I won’t be confident that they will get it done until they get it done.

Considering 1994… I’m not so confident that they’ll play in 2022 as well. It seems like difficult negotiations have been brewing for a long time leading up the all this with Manspread.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Even if they do…losing Rodon would be a big deal to replace.

Ok, but what about the QO? What if they get him back? What if Lopez turns into a quality fifth starter after all? Tons of variables in play and the Sox have a ton of depth. I just can’t be doom and gloom on the team when we have this much talent on our roster that is young and under control. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Ok, but what about the QO? What if they get him back? What if Lopez turns into a quality fifth starter after all? Tons of variables in play and the Sox have a ton of depth. I just can’t be doom and gloom on the team when we have this much talent on our roster that is young and under control. 

And I can’t just say “oh well they couldn’t beat the Astros, that’s fine”.

2 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Considering 1994… I’m not so confident that they’ll play in 2022 as well. It seems like difficult negotiations have been brewing for a long time leading up the all this with Manspread.

Total guess - it’s like the last NFL lockout, they stay at an impasse the entire offseason, because it costs no money. Then March hits and they realize they are losing millions of dollars a day and an agreement happens, costing them a short portion of the regular season and putting the entire hot stove period into March.

11 minutes ago, Chi Town Sox said:

We lost to what is possibly the deepest lineup in MLB history. The losses really sucked and they were outplayed up and down, but this is like any team in the 90s going up against the Bulls buzzsaw. Except it is much more difficult to win in the MLB. 

Just add pieces and improve any way possible for next year, anybody who thinks we messed up this rebuild is delusional.  Every team makes some bad deals, even the best ones, but we have some real weapons that are elite talents and can beat anybody when they are on. 

I think what people might not have taken into account when looking at this matchup is just how good the Astros hitters are in the postseason. Even when they were absolutely garbage last year in the regular season, they turned it on in the postseason and took the Rays to game 7 in the ALCS after being down 3-0. 

Correa, Altuve, and Bregman in particular have all been there and had massive success in October and they were all instrumental to the Astros winning this series. Tucker was also their best hitter in the regular season and he was hitting 6th or 7th when he probably should have hit 2nd in the order. 

• Like 1

• bmags locked this topic