Offseason Thread

reiks12

13 minutes ago, BrittBurnsFan said:

Yep...that is just the way baseball is going to be...for awhile at least!  I hope the White Sox never go the route of "openers"...but if you could win by doing so...I guess why not?

It doesn't always work in the post-season, see TB and Milwaukee to a lesser extent the last 3-4 seasons.

Obviously, the Rays also got to the WS last year, as well.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

I would love it if the Sox were able to get David Fletcher from LAA to be their second baseman. He had a massive slump this year but I think he'd be a great fit on the Sox. Bat him ninth and watch him get on base.

He’s basically Madrigal 

9 minutes ago, Soxnfins said:

Can we please take a flier on Conforto? Something I’d enjoy. 

I live in NYC. Many of my friends and coworkers are Mets fans. They haaaaaaaaaate Conforto. They claim he is their least clutch player. And he’s gonna be expensive.

4 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I guess I would just say I had nothing but an empty feeling about the 2000 and 2008 post mordems. I knew 2000 was a fluke and 2008 was probably not enough. I simply don’t have that feeling about 2021 because it’s the beginning of a very good window for our team. 

I just don’t see the white Sox being talented enough to overcome their manager.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I live in NYC. Many of my friends and coworkers are Mets fans. They haaaaaaaaaate Conforto. They claim he is their least clutch player. And he’s gonna be expensive.

His numbers with RISP are actually better than his career slash line. It may be easy to remember somebody not coming through in certain big situations, but that doesn't mean they straight up suck when guys are on base.

Rodon should be made a qualifying offer. 18.4 million for 1 year? He’s only 28 and change, if he signs GREAT, if not we get draft pick or picks and maybe some international signing dollars, or all of the above. He worth the risk for 1 year. With this year under his belt, a winter of rest, he may back even better. Show me a 28 year old we can get that can throw between 95 and 99 other than Rodon, that’s available?? Don’t think so. PS, LOL, to ShoelessRob, and all in fun, you just topped all the moves that the Hawk made when he was GM. Like I said, all in fun, we all want to have fun and have the Sox Win Next Year

• Like 2

My potentially realistic offseason plan/2022 lineup...

Arb:

Marshall - No

Goodwin - No

Gio - Yes

Engel - No

Lopez - Yes

Fry - Yes

Cordero - Yes

FA (internal):

Kimbrel - Pick up option - trade for young arms

Cesar - He Gawn

Leury - re-sign team friendly deal, but better not start a fucking playoff game in the OF ever again

Rodon - Declines QO

Tepera - Sign

Roster/FA (external):

C - Yaz & sign a veteran backup with + defense --- Barnhart is my ideal choice, but if too much $ at C, Roberto Perez/Maldonato/Vogt/Chirinos/Avila are options, trade Collins for lotto ticket(s)

1B/DH - Jose/Sheets/Vaughn/Yaz - Sheets gets real playing time, Jose gets regular days off/is no longer allowed to call his own shots/held accountable when not performing. i.e. hitting 6-7 when slumping

2B - Sign Semien

SS - TA7

3B - YoYo and pray the power returns

LF/DH - Eloy/Vaughn/Sheets/Cespedes

CF - Pantera

RF - Sign Joc, platoon with Cespedes

1. Lynn

2. Giolito

3. Cease

4. Kopech

5. Keuchel/Crochet starts season in AAA to stretch out and eventually takes over for Keuchel to avoid tripping vesting option

LR:Reylo

MR: Cordero/Foster

MR: Burr/Ruiz

MR: Fry/FA LHP

MR: Tepera

SU: sign Corey Knebel

SU: Bummer

CL: Hendriks

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JoeCredeYes said:

Arb:

Marshall - No

Goodwin - No

Gio - Yes

Engel - No

Lopez - Yes

Fry - Yes

Cordero - Yes

FA (internal):

Cesar - He Gawn

Leury - re-sign team friendly deal, but better not start a fucking playoff game in the OF ever again

Rodon - Declines QO

Tepera - Sign

Roster/FA (external):

C - Yaz & sign a veteran backup with + defense --- Barnhart is my ideal choice, but if too much $ at C, Roberto Perez/Maldonato/Vogt/Chirinos/Avila are options, trade Collins for lotto ticket(s)

1B/DH - Jose/Sheets/Vaughn/Yaz - Sheets gets real playing time, Jose gets regular days off/is no longer allowed to call his own shots/held accountable when not performing. i.e. hitting 6-7 when slumping

2B - Sign Semien

SS - TA7

CF - Pantera

1. Lynn

2. Giolito

3. Cease

4. Kopech

5. Keuchel/Crochet starts season in AAA to stretch out and eventually takes over for Keuchel to avoid tripping vesting option

Cespedes isn't ready, and there's no guarantee he will be good. He's not a realistic option next year IMO

Edited by ron883

20 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

The 2021 White Sox couldn’t beat the 2021 Astros. Just like the 1990 bulls couldn’t beat the 1990 pistons. 

I like how some are acting the Astros will lose some of these free agents and just pocket the money. I’m sure if Correa leaves, they will spend big on other free agents. I saw something that said WSox have more money on the books than they do next year.

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

I like how some are acting the Astros will lose some of these free agents and just pocket the money. I’m sure if Correa leaves, they will spend big on other free agents. I saw something that said WSox have more money on the books than they do next year.

Yep ($109.83M pre arb) Sox vs. ($91.9M pre arb) Astros.

And the Astros had a $60M higher 2021 OD payroll than the White Sox per Cot's.

11 minutes ago, JoeCredeYes said:

Arb:

Marshall - No

Goodwin - No

Gio - Yes

Engel - No

Lopez - Yes

Fry - Yes

Cordero - Yes

FA (internal):

Cesar - He Gawn

Rodon - Declines QO

Tepera - Sign

Roster/FA (external):

C - Yaz & sign a veteran backup with + defense --- Barnhart is my ideal choice, but if too much $ at C, Roberto Pere

11 minutes ago, JoeCredeYes said:

Arb:

Marshall - No

Goodwin - No

Gio - Yes

Engel - No

Lopez - Yes

Fry - Yes

Cordero - Yes

FA (internal):

Cesar - He Gawn

Rodon - Declines QO

Tepera - Sign

Roster/FA (external):

2B - Sign Semien

SS - TA7

CF - Pantera

1. Lynn

2. Giolito

3. Cease

4. Kopech

Cespedes isn't close to ready yet...

• Like 1

Just now, fathom said:

The reviews of his performance this year were not promising. God help the Sox if he’s in their immediate plans next year.

He's already 23 too, so if he has an .813 OPS between A ball and AA (where he hit for no power), I'm not sure his ceiling at the ML level is going to be all that high. 

7 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Cespedes isn't ready, and there's no guarantee he will be good. He's not a realistic option next year IMO

Sure, ideally he has one more year in AA/AAA, but we all know JR isn't ponying up for a multi year RF like Conforto with Yoelkis and Colas potentially waiting in the wings.  Hence get a guy like Joc that can play every day until Yoelkis is ready.  It's not ideal, but barring a big payroll increase I'm not expecting big money spent on RF.

Just now, JoeCredeYes said:

Sure, ideally he has one more year in AA/AAA, but we all know JR isn't ponying up for a multi year RF like Conforto with Yoelkis and Colas potentially waiting in the wings.  Hence get a guy like Joc that can play every day until Yoelkis is ready.  It's not ideal, but barring a big payroll increase I'm not expecting big money spent on RF.

They can't waste another season rolling out Adam Eaton-esque garbage in RF again. It's time to pony up and go for it. There is no internal option currently. Go get a damn RFer. 

• Like 1

• bmags locked this topic