Offseason Thread

reiks12

Just now, ron883 said:

They can't waste another season rolling out Adam Eaton-esque garbage in RF again. It's time to pony up and go for it. There is no internal option currently. Go get a damn RFer. 

Yeah they really need to go for it the next two years. A lot of the big contract decisions coming up on internal guys in two years.

Just now, ron883 said:

They can't waste another season rolling out Adam Eaton-esque garbage in RF again. It's time to pony up and go for it. There is no internal option currently. Go get a damn RFer. 

Totally agree, but + defense, left handed power hitting RFs don't exactly grow on trees.  Joc might be their best option. 

2 minutes ago, JoeCredeYes said:

He's 24

...and has a grand total of 2/3 season in American pro baseball under his belt. IMO he does have the high ceiling that has been touted. Obviously, counting on him to be a difference maker in 2022 is an absurd proposition - but I still see him as making appearances mid-late season.

36 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I just don’t see the white Sox being talented enough to overcome their manager.

Blaming LaRussa seems like a way to justify how you feel about him.  It wasn't his game plan that caused Lynn to suck.  Or Giolito.  Or Cease, or Rodon.  He sure didn't do a perfect job.  But the players pretty much sucked all the way around.  No amount of managing swag could have overcome that.  

4 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Major moves for RF and 2B. Bring back Tepera. Trade Kimbrel for what you can - maybe a younger controllable reliever with promise.

That's the problem - this FO is consistently on the "old veteran" side of these trades, especially when it comes to relievers.  And they insist on paying a premium price.  Buy high and sell low is the mantra, and the price adds up and shows its wear and tear.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JoeCredeYes said:

Totally agree, but + defense, left handed power hitting RFs don't exactly grow on trees.  Joc might be their best option. 

The 2 positions of need on offense are RF and 2B. I would love for the Sox to do their best to sign Conforto and roll the dice with Romy at 2B. Conforto had a down year and will cost a draft pick to whoever signs him. Hopefully that is enough to drive his price down into Reinsdorf territory. 

Romy torched the minors. I'm not expecting too much, but the guy has some potential upside. I'd be fine going into next season with him at 2B if it means the Sox got a good RFer. 

1 minute ago, turnin' two said:

Blaming LaRussa seems like a way to justify how you feel about him.  It wasn't his game plan that caused Lynn to suck.  Or Giolito.  Or Cease, or Rodon.  He sure didn't do a perfect job.  But the players pretty much sucked all the way around.  No amount of managing swag could have overcome that.  

Lance Lynn had an ERA over 5 against the Astros in Houston and an ERA just over 3 against the Astros elsewhere. I have posts here from early August saying “damn we need HFA if we want Lynn pitching an early game otherwise he’s probably going to get shelled and then there’s a big chance we are stuck in an 0-2 hole that will be very tough to dig out of”. 

Giolito had the White Sox in a spot on the road where they had a 71% chance of winning. G and Rodon are funny examples when both should have been pulled earlier after giving their best against a tough lineup.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, JoeCredeYes said:

And Conforto wasn't?  By all means, list these excellent UFA RFs you speak of....

Conforto is better than Joc and it isn't close. He had a down year. He was a beast in 2019 and 2020

Edited by ron883

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Lance Lynn had an ERA over 5 against the Astros in Houston and an ERA just over 3 against the Astros elsewhere. I have posts here from early August saying “damn we need HFA if we want Lynn pitching an early game otherwise he’s probably going to get shelled and then there’s a big chance we are stuck in an 0-2 hole that will be very tough to dig out of”. 

Giolito had the White Sox in a spot on the road where they had a 71% chance of winning. G and Rodon are funny examples when both should have been pulled earlier after giving their best against a tough lineup.

Maybe you were watching another series, but the Sox players looked worn out. Almost all of their power on offense was completely zapped.

Their margin for error this series was so small because they were running on fumes and were playing pretty weak 2B/RF/DH. Maybe the Sox should have traded for offense instead of Kimbrel. Hahn is more to blame than Tony. 

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So, is it your contention that going Giolito, Cease, Lynn would have changed things?  They would have magically pitched better?  They still only scored 5 runs in the 2 games.  The offense played poorly.  The bullpen pitched poorly.  This is squarely on the players.

Just now, Soxbadger said:

Maybe you were watching another series, but the Sox players looked worn out. Almost all of their power on offense was completely zapped.

Their margin for error this series was so small because they were running on fumes and were playing pretty weak 2B/RF/DH. Maybe the Sox should have traded for offense instead of Kimbrel. Hahn is more to blame than Tony. 

Oh Hahn sucked. But with a a professional manager they’re playing tomorrow night.

1 minute ago, turnin' two said:

So, is it your contention that going Giolito, Cease, Lynn would have changed things?  They would have magically pitched better?  They still only scored 5 runs in the 2 games.  The offense played poorly.  The bullpen pitched poorly.  This is squarely on the players.

Personally I would have done everything possible to use Rodon and a bullpen game in game 2 and then have Lynn and Cease in Chicago. But hell, just avoid the shitty bullpen move in game 2 and this is a different series.

I think they should go after Marte. He can hit for power, hit for contact and move runners along, get on base and steal bases. Also, he can play any of the corner outfield positions and provides some versatility. That solves a lot our issues and he’s not that expensive.

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Soxbadger said:

This is how I saw it but I don't understand why they were worn out. They had plenty of rest and pretty much coasted, but they looked tired.

I did not understand this.

If you seen Conforto play this season, you would want no part of Conforto. I don't see a high ceiling for him, and the projected $20M AAV would be a huge mistake.

For the same projected AAV, I much rather have Semien.

Also, Rodon projects close to $6M over the new QO amount.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/

Players with posted AAV projections:

• DH: Martinez $23.2; Cruz $14.1.
  • Catchers: Posey $11.2; Zunino $9.6; Gomes $7.7.
  • First Base: Freeman $27.3; Rizzo $21.7; Belt $17.1.
  • Second Base: Taylor $11.0.
  • Shortstop: Seager $31.9; Story $29.8; Correa $26.6; Baez $24.2; Semien $19.6.
  • Third Base: Ramirez $30.2; Bryant $23.6; Seager $19.0; Escobar $10.0.
  • Right Field: Castellanos $21.4; Conforto $19.1.
  • Left Field: Schwarber $12.9M 
  • Starters: Scherzer $35.6; Kershaw $31.8; Syndergaard $29.3; Rodon $24.1; Gausman $22.5; Stroman $21.0M; Ray $18.0M; DeScalfani $10.2M; Greinke $9.0,
  • Relievers: Iglesias $15.6; Jansen $10.1; Kimbrel $9.3.
  • Like 1

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Oh Hahn sucked. But with a a professional manager they’re playing tomorrow night.

How many other managers are going to let Leury play yesterday and hit the most important run in the series?

Small moves in a game may matter, but Dusty Baker didnt have to do anything because his team had more weapons. Its not like the Sox lost to some genius like Belichik who completely outcoached them.

This is all on Hahn, if he was given the green light to add Kimbrel's salary it meant he had money to work with and he misspent it. 

• bmags locked this topic