Offseason Thread

reiks12

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Vaughn does seem like a Dodgers fitting player, but with Muncy and Bellinger and others on their roster I struggle to see them paying that much for him. Interesting concept.

What if Dodgers cut ties with Bellinger?  But yeah, I don’t think they’d have much interest in Vaughn.

22 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

I want to have nothing to do with Conforto.

Do not like his game at all.

All or nothing guy and most of the time its nothing......unless he is having his 2 hot streaks during the year.

What?  Dude has a 136 wRC+ against RHP over the course of his career (2,187 PA’s) with strong BB & K rates.  He’s also never been below 118 in a single season, including his “down” 2021 season.  This idea that he’s overly streaky or “all or nothing” is simply not true and if we got the average version of him he’d the perfect addition to our lineup.

1 minute ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

How the hell does that solve anything 

It’s crazy how people don’t realize the value he has off the field.  The Sox biggest organization strength is signing Cubans, and that is very much thanks to Abreu’s presence.

19 minutes ago, fathom said:

I predict Sox and Tampa make a deal this offseason with Wendle or Meadows involved.  Not saying it would be for one of them, but I’m sure Tampa would love to acquire Crochet.

We can’t afford to trade more relievers in all honesty.  Hendriks, Bummer, & Crochet are the only reliable guys we have at the moment assuming Kimbrel is moved.

Just now, JoeCredeYes said:

I dunno man, you don't give up 22 year old lefties with his stuff unless you get big time talent back. 

Agreed it has to be for significant talent, but he’s the asset they should most be willing to trade at the moment.

Just now, fathom said:

It’s crazy how people don’t realize the value he has off the field.  The Sox biggest organization strength is signing Cubans, and that is very much thanks to Abreu’s presence.

People just dont want to admit that the problem was having below average 2b/of/dh.

Jose is fine. 

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Yeah, it’s been proven time and time again. Additionally, even if that wasn’t true….I am 100% serious and literal when I say I have a better chance of growing 9 heads out of my left arm than the Chicago White Sox trading Jose Abreu. Jerry absolutely rewards loyalty and there has no better solider, maybe EVER, than Jose Abreu to the White Sox organization. He will never leave. 

Just now, Tony said:

Yeah, it’s been proven time and time again. Additionally, even if that wasn’t true….I am 100% serious and literal when I say I have a better chance of growing 9 heads out of my left arm than the Chicago White Sox trading Jose Abreu. Jerry absolutely rewards loyalty and there has no better solider, maybe EVER, than Jose Abreu to the White Sox organization. He will never leave. 

Those 9 heads could probably beat the Orioles

23 minutes ago, fathom said:

I predict Sox and Tampa make a deal this offseason with Wendle or Meadows involved.  Not saying it would be for one of them, but I’m sure Tampa would love to acquire Crochet.

That’s the type of move I think is required at this stage. It doesn’t blow up the core by any means, but it makes a sizable difference in the makeup of this team from 2021 to 2022.

1 minute ago, JoeCredeYes said:

It removes the logjam at 1B/DH and allows us to field proper major league caliber outfielders.  

We also get a lot worse. Jose Abreu is a better player than anyone who could replace him in-house right now. You do not need to take him out of the picture to play lesser players. Not to mention his massive off the field influence. Abreu is the farthest thing from an issue for this team rigjt now.

1 minute ago, Tony said:

That’s the type of move I think is required at this stage. It doesn’t blow up the core by any means, but it makes a sizable difference in the makeup of this team from 2021 to 2022.

I know it will be a big battle, but Schwarber’s bat would be perfect if they foolishly want to try Vaughn and Sheets in RF

Edited by fathom

2 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

You had to stick with Eloy but the other 3 could have been easily improved with assets the Sox dealt.

You cant expect to win in the playoffs when 2 of 3 trades go bad.

Eloy should just stick at DH. It’s so embarrassing that he has to play everyone at the track so he doesn’t hurt himself. Just a clown show 

Just now, Buehrle>Wood said:

I'm okay with addressing RF in house if we sign one of the many great infielders available. Obviously a huge if. Competent outfielders can be had for cheap at the deadline.

They at least need to bring in a warm body out there, and OMG if they overpay the first warm body on the market because they’re scared to lose him when there are 4 or 5 other better guys who could be had for the same money who don’t sign for a month and a half again….

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Because his value as a reliever is not needed the next few years IMO

Yes, but this FO has spent more on their bullpen than all but three teams (Dodgers, Yankees & Mets). It's cheaper than signing a top SP or starting hitter.

The Sox were the only team to give a large (over $10M) multi-year (3 year) reliever FA contract last offseason.

2021 FA by AAV: Hendriks $18.0; Rosenthal $11.0M; Hand $10.5; Treinen $8.8; May $7.8; Colome $6.3.

2021 FA by total dollars: Hendriks $54.0 (3 years); Treinen $17.5 (2); May $15.5 (2); Baez $12.5 (2); Rosenthal $11.0 (1); Hand $10.5 (1).

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

I know it will be a big battle, but Schwarber’s bat would be perfect if they foolishly want to try Vaughn and Sheets in RF

If you get Schwarber I think you use Vaughn/Sheets as trade chips. If you could improve 2b offensively you could get a more defensive RF.

6 minutes ago, Tony said:

Well, besides Konerko and Buehrle, but he's in arguably had more of an influence on bringing other Cubans into the fold, Robert in particular.

The young pitcher, Vera, that we signed, Cespedes and Colas, etc.

Seems the logical assets to look at offloading would be Sheets and/or Burger.

• bmags locked this topic