Offseason Thread

reiks12

1 minute ago, FLsoxfan said:

Pipe Dream I know but I would do the following:

Pick up Kimbrel option; hope with a full season of 8th inning his results improve

Package Crochet, Burger and Keuchel for Conforto

Offer Rodon QO to recover a draft pick

Kopech to the rotation

Vaughn/Abreu split 1B/DH 

Romy takes Leury's spot at utility

Sign Chris Taylor 3/45 for 2b

Sign Scherzer 3/112 the playoffs have shown us this team needs an ace.

Resign Tepera 2/18

Conforto is a free agent this offseason.

Edited by maloney.adam

1 minute ago, FLsoxfan said:

Pick up Kimbrel option; hope with a full season of 8th inning his results improve

Kopech to the rotation

Vaughn/Abreu split 1B/DH 

Resign Tepera 2/18

Conforto is a FA.  You get to keep Crochet and Burger and just spend $.  

Decline Kimbrel

Decline Hernandez

Sign Marte

Sign Escobar

Re-sign Tepera

Sign one more BP arm

QO to Rodon, which he likely declines. 

Tough to say what do with the rotation past Gio, Lynn, and Cease. Probably throw a one year contract old guy into the mix and hope for the best out of meh. Not sure what else to do unless you are comfortable trading away some nice young pieces. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Unless they make some bold moves before then.  The team is going to be handcuffed a bit with money, but a few creative moves could free up some cash and allow them to make a splash.  If they end up with a true RF and another solid SP (and maybe a good 2B) by then, SoxFest could be a better time for Hahn.

Watch it now, you might make me excited about the free agent season.

Just now, fathom said:

Isn’t it really Eloy and Vaughn

I don't think you can trade either of those guys coming off 21.  They should rotate LF/DH (I'd play Vaughn in LF the majority of the time, personally).  Sprinkle Vaughn in at 1B some.  Would be selling low on both.  

22 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Lots of talk of trading Vaughn and Sheets.  I'd hate to sell low but I'd definitely sell high on either.  I'm sure they shopped Vaughn a bit so they know where his value was before his slump this year.

One of them is the starting 1B next year for me.  Abreu is poor defensively and only getting older.  Him not executing a routine scoop of on Tim's error was the nail in the coffin yesterday. Error goes to TA but there are random high school first basemen scooping that 9 out of 10 times.   He is going to have to get used to spending at least some time at DH.

Yaz also needs about 150 PA at DH as well in 2022.  Eloy could use 100 too.  Can't have 5 guys at DH, so if either is tradable,  I think you do it.  

I am not the biggest Abreu fan out there but he is definitely not "poor defensively".  On another Abreu subject...I would like him moved down in the batting order FWIW.

15 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

and Abreu, Grandal, Sheets, Berger.  They all need time at 1B or DH because they can't be an everyday player at another position. 

Agreed, I don’t know how they would be able to accomplish that when they can’t be an everyday starter at another position. One or two may have to be moved.

Edited by maloney.adam

15 minutes ago, FLsoxfan said:

just checked that and edited, I think packaging Crochet with Keuchel to clear the salary and acquire a RF is a move they should look into though.

1. I don't think Keuchel is movable at this point

2. I HATE the idea of killing the value of Crochet on the market by anchoring him with Keuchel. 

It's just money. You want to win that badly...spend it. 

Just now, Balta1701 said:

If the CBA adds a salary floor, this could readily happen.

That's the only way Keuchle becomes movable, but without looking at the entire league, I'm sure there is an abundance of bad contracts that could be moved by teams, Keuchle isn't that unique. 

19 minutes ago, FLsoxfan said:

Kopech to the rotation

Vaughn/Abreu split 1B/DH 

Resign Tepera 2/18

Edit: Conforto is a free agent! Nevermind I guess - nonetheless, I think packaging Crochet with Keuchel for a legit RF/2b threat is the right move to make.

If we decide to keep Kimbrel, then he should be the closer and Hendriks should be the guy who comes in during the highest leverage situations with runners on base.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If we decide to keep Kimbrel, then he should be the closer and Hendriks should be the guy who comes in during the highest leverage situations with runners on base.

Man would that be a shitty message to Hendricks.  Sign him to be your closer, he does great, trade for a guy to be his setup man, and that guy sucks balls the entire time in multiple roles, then hand the closer role over to the guy that sucks because he might be better in the 9th than he is in the 8th(and this is not guaranteed)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Say what?

Kimbrel is not reliable. There is no guarantee he is anything but shaky next year. The guy should not be handed the closers job. I really don't understand this at all. What Kimbrel showed was not an aberration; it's what he had shown the previous two years before the 35 innings with the Cubs recently. The Sox having 32 million tied up in two relievers would be one of the dumbest decisions this organization has made and that is really saying something.

13 minutes ago, RibbieRubarb said:

Eloy Jimenez could be this year's Carlos Lee.

Discuss.

No way I sell low on him after this year. The guy had a big time injury. He still has 40 hr potential. Give him an offseason to get right. 

8 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I love how caufield pivots off one incorrect point and just pretends... well my point still stands with the other guy too.

For the record, I think lux is overrated as a prospect and will not figure it out and become a good big leaguer. 

Kind of like how you were wrong on Kopech, Cease and Hosmer getting benched?

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Kind of like how you were wrong on Kopech, Cease and Hosmer getting benched?

What was I wrong about exactly?

And again pal, Hosmer wasn't delegated to the bench BECAUSE of injuries for the Padres.

Hosmer - 151 games player, ZERO fWAR. That's Caufields guy; stans for him as if he was Frank Thomas.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ron883 said:

The White Sox were 3rd in baseball in wRC+.

This is a classic example of confirmation bias in statistical analysis. The Sox had a better wRC+ than every team on that list but for Houston and Toronto. They're problem was not offensive production or hitting the ball in the air. If guys like Eloy hit less grounders would he have been better? Sure. Is the offense some glaring issue that needs mass overhaul and correction? No, if the Sox are 3rd or better in wRC+ next year they'll be very good.

Saying those teams advanced in the playoffs because they hit more flyball is fucking hilarious and incredible misleading as always. People who look at baseball statistics have a difficult time understanding that correlation does not equal causation.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

• bmags locked this topic